Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #127
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidddogbites View Post
what bothers me is why chevy dosent go back to the more powerful big block v8's again. i mean atleast have it as an option. I'm shure that if they redid the ls1 350 to give it about 425hp and had a 396 with around 520hp and did a bigblock big bucks 427 putten out 650hp is more than reasonibal....and have a 4:11 rear axel diffrential as an option would make people really happy also:che vy::chev y::chevy :
Two words:

Emissions, and Cost.

:(
Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #128
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Third word : weight

Cam #6 was a '67 RS/SS big block 396. It had awesome power but made the car front heavy. The 350 made a much better balanced car.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #129
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam#7 View Post
Third word : weight

Cam #6 was a '67 RS/SS big block 396. It had awesome power but made the car front heavy. The 350 made a much better balanced car.
Very true. Unbalanced cars make for unbalanced handlers. The Camaro has a nearly perfect 50/50 thanks to the weight/size/placement of the LS3/L99/LLT.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #130
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYBOY View Post
E85 is a joke. The stuff burns at 2/3 the btu's of regular gasoline. The price difference at the pump does NOT make up for the loss of mpg's....My dad and I did a test in his Ford pickup on a long road trip. We ran both types of fuel through the tank and it turned out that regular gas was more economical than E85....Say what you want but I've seen it with my own eyes, E85 is a ploy...
I concur Even running just 10% ethanol is worth about 3-4 mpg in my car. I guess Al got us again.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:38 AM   #131
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
The point of E85 or even E100 used by Brasil isn't that it's cheaper. It's that it's renewable and you can make it from corn or even better in the case of Brasil, sugar.

You are only proving my point. As I posted earlier, Americans aren't hooked on oil, they are hooked on CHEAP oil.

I can not imagine in my lifetime anyone coming up with an energy source that is as robust as gasoline for automotive propulsion. It transports easy has great energy density and if you are willing has reasonable emissions. And in the near term is accessable and plentiful. All known alternatives are either more expensive or more dangerous and in some cases both.

So, America are you willing to pay more to have energy independance? Are you willing to pay more so our troops aren't used to maintain global economic stability around the world? Everyone (cough California cough) thinks you can just legislate this stuff. The easy answer is we are simply riding the cheapest alternatives. And OPEC will likely keep it that way for a lonnnngggggg time to come.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #132
CAMAR0
Loose is Fast!

Drives: Mikes Hard Lemons
The part that no one talks about is that it takes more energy to create ethanol than it puts out when you burn it. Compare that to being able to run motor on natural gas.. It takes very little energy to get the natural gas.. Now the head scratching really starts. With e85 your burning more coal or something to power the ethanol production process and you end up with more than double the emissions (production + vehicle). Not against it but from that standpoint it doesnt make the best sense.
CAMAR0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #133
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAR0 View Post
The part that no one talks about is that it takes more energy to create ethanol than it puts out when you burn it. Compare that to being able to run motor on natural gas.. It takes very little energy to get the natural gas.. Now the head scratching really starts. With e85 your burning more coal or something to power the ethanol production process and you end up with more than double the emissions (production + vehicle). Not against it but from that standpoint it doesnt make the best sense.
That's very true for corn ethanol. The efficiency in producing it is marginal at best and affects food prices. Two ways to resolve this are to end ethanol-related subsidies. This would increase availability while keeping food prices down. Another option is cellulosic ethanol. This type of ethanol comes from certain plant cells. Recent science suggests that this can be made cheaply in labs without cannibalizing our food product.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #134
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Is this new engine very likely?
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #135
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I can not imagine in my lifetime anyone coming up with an energy source that is as robust as gasoline for automotive propulsion.
http://www.sapphireenergy.com/

Unless you plan on croaking in the next decade...expect this stuff (or something similar) to make a big splash. Electric/Hydrogen isn't ready for prime-time...and this could be the next logical step.

...but then who really thinks logically anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike25 View Post
Is this new engine very likely?
No more likely than the concept Camaro was... At this point it's just a rumor...but it was a loud enough one we thought it was worth posting.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #136
esperman
You Can Call Me Jay

Drives: 2010 1LT RJT Manual w/CAI & Solo
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
That's very true for corn ethanol. The efficiency in producing it is marginal at best and affects food prices. Two ways to resolve this are to end ethanol-related subsidies. This would increase availability while keeping food prices down. Another option is cellulosic ethanol. This type of ethanol comes from certain plant cells. Recent science suggests that this can be made cheaply in labs without cannibalizing our food product.
they have been working on cellulosic for 18 years. so far no luck.
Regardless of feedstock, ethanol is not a great fuel...too hygroscopic and corrosive.
esperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #137
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperman View Post
they have been working on cellulosic for 18 years. so far no luck.
That's largely because at the scales its being produced....its way too expensive to seriously compete. And by using the proper materials with ethanol in mind, its corrosive properties become much less of a concern.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #138
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Two words:

Emissions, and Cost.

:(
I really don't think there is that big of a market for a Camaro with a big block in it besides a hand full of people.

Those old high horsepower cars used solid lifters which are no longer really used on street cars anymore. Not only that but the small block has no problems hitting what were once big block horsepower levels. combine that with the added weight and the fact that the modern car isn't just expected to go well in a line.

I think it would be a huge mistake and waste of development dollars to develop a new big block to place in a Camaro. I even think that the idea of using a big block for the trucks is dead.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:57 PM   #139
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Ethanol from corn had a interesting impact on food prices, while yes producing ethanol from corn drive prices up marginally (most of the food price increase was the result of higher price for oil) the use of ethanol reduced oil consumption. This was not by a big margin however was est. enough to keep prices slightly lower then what they were headed to. Which actually had a bigger impact keeping food prices down then the use of corn to make ethanol had on raising prices.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #140
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
I really don't think there is that big of a market for a Camaro with a big block in it besides a hand full of people.

Those old high horsepower cars used solid lifters which are no longer really used on street cars anymore. Not only that but the small block has no problems hitting what were once big block horsepower levels. combine that with the added weight and the fact that the modern car isn't just expected to go well in a line.

I think it would be a huge mistake and waste of development dollars to develop a new big block to place in a Camaro. I even think that the idea of using a big block for the trucks is dead.
I think you're right on all accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
Ethanol from corn had a interesting impact on food prices, while yes producing ethanol from corn drive prices up marginally (most of the food price increase was the result of higher price for oil) the use of ethanol reduced oil consumption. This was not by a big margin however was est. enough to keep prices slightly lower then what they were headed to. Which actually had a bigger impact keeping food prices down then the use of corn to make ethanol had on raising prices.
Interesting! Would you be able to PM me any links supporting that theory?

Tags
2012 camaro, 2012 chevrolet camaro, 2012 chevy camaro, camaro lfx, camaro lfx engine, camaro lfx motor, camaro v6, gm lfx, gm lfx engine, gm lfx motor, lfx engine, lfx motor, new camaro v6, new camaro v6 engine, new v6 camaro engine, v6 camaro