Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 07-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #1
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Camaro Turbo 4 banger?! Can it be?

Seen this today haven't seen it around the forum so let's discuss. And is this confirmed? If so where have I been at...Start video at 3:30

http://youtu.be/yEE2dKuuSYo
Old 07-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Turbo 4-cylinder comment from the guys who just said that it's a 6th-Gen in the Tr4nsformer movie.

Credibility = in the toilet.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Matt_RS

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
I will be pissed if this is real
Old 07-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
It will make the Camaro more affordable to others... plus bring up the "Camaro" overall gas mileage rating. It's only good for us. Especially since turbo I4s can be very powerful.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Matt_RS

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
I dont like the idea of seeing a muscle car go by and it sounds like an srt4. But i can agree with u DSX
Old 07-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The guys who have V8s are going to buy V8s regardless of whether there's a 4-cylinder.

I don't see why people have a problem with this. Chevrolet isn't lowering its standards by doing this. If you expect your car brand to only sell high-performance vehicles, then you're going to have to find something in the 6 figure range. Chevrolet is an egalitarian car brand. Everyone is welcome to buy. By offering a 4-cylinder option, it gives more people exposure to the Camaro.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Pretty much exactly what all the other reports have been saying for a long time now, and pretty much what we expect.

But overall, nothing new to see here.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #8
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
When they do a Turbo 8 THEN I'll be excited.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Not surprised.

But in the end having more Camaro's on the road is a good thing.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_RS View Post
I dont like the idea of seeing a muscle car go by and it sounds like an srt4. But i can agree with u DSX
Trust me... You can make a turbo I4 sound very nice. It takes a lot of effort and a specific set up though.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #11
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Trust me... You can make a turbo I4 sound very nice. It takes a lot of effort and a specific set up though.
Agreed...

I had a Focus ST, which has the 2.0 I4 EcoBoost... I actually really like the way it sounded!!! I found it easier to get a good sound out of it than a V6...

Here is the dyno after a couple bolt-ons, but mainly from the tune...

Eventually though, i found I was never really going to like the FWD and went back to a RWD...

Of course these same discussions are happening in the Mustang world, as Ford is bring the I4 EcoBoost to the Mustang....
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:55 AM   #12
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Pretty much exactly what all the other reports have been saying for a long time now, and pretty much what we expect.

But overall, nothing new to see here.
actually, I had no idea the Turbo 4 was going to have 272hp/295tq. There were talks about it being the lower tier car, unlike the mustang turbo 4 being their mid level option, but I never heard any actual numbers.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
actually, I had no idea the Turbo 4 was going to have 272hp/295tq. There were talks about it being the lower tier car, unlike the mustang turbo 4 being their mid level option, but I never heard any actual numbers.
Those numbers are straight out of the 2.0T of the ATS and Malibu.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Those numbers are straight out of the 2.0T of the ATS and Malibu.
And cts, according to the guy in the video. Still didn't know that's what chevy was going to put in their Camaro, until now. I guess it was a good assumption, and this guy in the video is by no means the end all be all. But he seems pretty confident in his report.

I guess what i'm saying is, I've only seen people say there would be a Turbo 4, that would be below the v6 option. I didn't know the actual specs.