Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #1
DCJ

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Mail Slot Blackout and Rear Bumper Blackout....Matte Black or Gloss Black??

I am about to order a Blackout for my Mail Slot and Rear Bumper and am trying to decide wheather to get Matte Black or Gloss Black. Thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Last edited by DCJ; 09-07-2009 at 09:15 PM.
DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
1fine79

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Victory Red
I had the dealer paint the rear bumper area you are referring to instead of putting a decal. The decal will not cover the area between the tail lights which in my opinion takes away from the effect you are looking for which in my case was to make the rear area pop. I went with matte black instead of gloss. My baby is Victory Red and the paint job looks mean if you ask me. I'll post pic later after I shrink the picture to a size that will allow me to post. Ask if the blackout for the rear bumper covers around the lights?
1fine79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
AuburnEd
2G1FT1EW7A9105798

Drives: 2SS/RS - GMC
I installed Matte Black (tail light/lower deck) on my 2SS/RS SIM and am very pleased with the look. The gloss seemed a bit too much and the matte black blends in with finish of the plastic panel for the exhaust/muffler.

While you are at it, order the red SS for your front fenders and you will get real happy!
The SS Camaro needs and deserves the fender badge.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
G.E.

Drives: black on black twenty ten ss/rs
i'd personally go with gloss black
G.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
autoguy

Drives: 10 SS,11 SS Pace, 13 ZL1 IOM
Every one I have installed so far has been flat black. We sell an equal amount of each. If you do not have any other stripes, you could do either one.

We have the rear blackouts on sale for members too.
autoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
I installed gloss black. Why? because the look like they are paint. I did flat decals on my other car. They looked cool but they definitely didnt look like paint.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
ac223mal

Drives: car
I have had the same problem, I have a silver camaro with GCM stripes. I decided on gloss black, I think it will look better next the metallic paint. Now I just have to decide...paint vs. vinyl. If the vinyl completely blacked out the rear panel I would be sold, I do not want any silver showing through the black out.

Check out Hylton's thread in the member's journals he as a SIM with a painted gloss black, black out. That may help some.
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
I did the vinyl first so that I could get a real life idea of how it would look. I will get it painted later after/if I like what I have done.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #9
DCJ

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac223mal View Post
I have had the same problem, I have a silver camaro with GCM stripes. I decided on gloss black, I think it will look better next the metallic paint. Now I just have to decide...paint vs. vinyl. If the vinyl completely blacked out the rear panel I would be sold, I do not want any silver showing through the black out.

Check out Hylton's thread in the member's journals he as a SIM with a painted gloss black, black out. That may help some.

Thanks for the feedback to all! Yeah that is a good idea on Hyton's Camaro. Now that you say that, I remember seeing his somewhere in a thread. I will do a search and take a look at his. I was almost sold on Matte but being a metallic paint the Gloss would match better. Tough call.....

Feedback is greatly appreciated!