Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Fresh M.S. in Computer Engineering Graduate going nowhere . . .

I wanted to ask for some advice, and maybe even some help if anyone could spare some. I remember seeing a thread on what everyone does for a living and a LOT of people were Engineers, and furthermore, EE or CompE.

I'm a fresh graduate (June 2009) whose freshness is dying out since it's already September and I have no prospective company interested in me yet. My qualifications as far as education should be pretty decent for what the market demands (Master's degree, internships, some work experience, projects), but I'm not getting any attention while trying to get exposure. I think my resume and cover letters are pretty darn good, as I've had a lot of help from experienced people in writing those. I also just temporarily relocated from NJ to silicon valley (currently in San Ramon, CA) in hopes I'd get into the Semiconductor industry at some point. I got a bit more attention, however, I'm still on a steady streak of rejections WITHOUT interviews. I understand the economy is DISMAL right now, but I have read a lot of reports that graduates in the Engineering field are in the top 5 as far as prospective jobs go.

Anyway, people here seem to be doing well with all of the purchases of 2010 Camaros being made, lol. So my question to you is, do you know of/are you in an industry or market that has more growth and a better outlook for fresh CompE graduates than just Semiconductors? Also, if anyone is in a company where they might be looking for an entry-level or fresh graduate position to fill, if they could PM me and see if I could possibly fit the bill. Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the advice in advance.

Last edited by OUTATIME; 09-26-2009 at 03:30 PM.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
If you were still in NJ I would tell you to check out some of the defense contractors (ITT, BAE Systems, etc), but not too sure about out in CA.

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
CE I think is typical denotation for Civil Engineer, which is what my wife and I both are. I am not really sure what a "computer engineer" is. i am not giving any disrespect here but I think the market is flooded with people trying to get a job in the computer field. Go back 10 years when people were not too up on the computer age and people made a ton of money inthat field so people were like hey, lets get inot that field... now the feild is saturated and jobs are hard to come by...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
OUTATIME

You're right, CE is usually Civil Engineer. Computer Engineering is very very close to Electrical Engineering, but with more of a focus on programming that's closer to the hardware. Typically called ECE (Electronic and Computer Engineering) or CoE maybe - people have abbreviated it differently in any case.
Quote:
If you were still in NJ I would tell you to check out some of the defense contractors (ITT, BAE Systems, etc), but not too sure about out in CA.
I have looked into defense companies - in fact the only interview I've had in the past year was with a defense company (I won't name them, and they are a BIG one). In this particular case, it was the CLOSEST I got to a job, however, I believe they made up some garbage about me not being able to pass security clearance, and I don't know why (U.S. Citizen with a squeaky clean record, no drug use, can count on my fingers the number of times out of the country, etc.) and they rescinded the offer.

Needless to say, I was PISSED. I had passed their background investigation with flying colors, and they simply refused to submit my app for security clearance, and told me it was internal information. So, I'm not so sure about defense contractors anymore . . .
Old 09-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
You're right, CE is usually Civil Engineer. Computer Engineering is very very close to Electrical Engineering, but with more of a focus on programming that's closer to the hardware. Typically called ECE (Electronic and Computer Engineering) or CoE maybe - people have abbreviated it differently in any case.
Cool thanks, well good luck and it really sucks about that gov't job. It can be really tricky getting a dept. of defense or related type job.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
NoUCantDriveIt

Drives: 2SS RS M6 CGM/Black Rally
I know job search process can be frustrating. Especially so for the Engineering personality that tends to approach problems with logic, and finding a job defies all logic. Plus the economy has pushed competition for jobs in general to ridiculous levels. Even so, I haven’t seen a dramatic drop in Software Development. Which granted is a different part of the Computer biz than programming for hardware.

Hang tough, there is a job out there with your name on it. Ya never know, this could be the week you find it!

For what its worth, here’s my 2 cents of advice:
1. Keep looking until you find a good headhunter. Be honest with them (don't try to over sell your skill set), and check in with them often. Make your name come to mind when they receive that new job position. Also, listen to any feed back they give on your resume or from an interview.

2. NEVER underestimate the value of soft skills. If you’re new to the biz and don’t have tons of experience, its your strongest selling point. On more than one occasion it was my soft skills and ability to communicate that got me the interview and then the job. Seriously, required skills were sometimes learned once my butt had a chair.

3. Read job postings very carefully, and read between the lines if possible. Often they're written by HR that has no idea what the job is, not by the hiring manager. Separate "what they need" from "what they think they want", then compare that to your resume. Personally, I configure a different resume for each job application. If a skill isn't on the needs/wants list, it's barely mentioned on my resume. It means I apply for less positions, but it looks like I'm a better fit with those I do apply for. I never allow my headhunter to send a one-size-fits-all copy.
NoUCantDriveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
texan

Drives: people crazy
Quote:

I have looked into defense companies - in fact the only interview I've had in the past year was with a defense company (I won't name them, and they are a BIG one). In this particular case, it was the CLOSEST I got to a job, however, I believe they made up some garbage about me not being able to pass security clearance, and I don't know why (U.S. Citizen with a squeaky clean record, no drug use, can count on my fingers the number of times out of the country, etc.) and they rescinded the offer.

Needless to say, I was PISSED. I had passed their background investigation with flying colors, and they simply refused to submit my app for security clearance, and told me it was internal information. So, I'm not so sure about defense contractors anymore . . .
Security Clearances can be bounced due to financially related problems. The employer (usually USA) is looking for employees who have nothing in their personal life that can be leveraged. A divorced middle-aged man with child support and a bankruptcy on his record is a big flashing light, not your case I'm sure but rather an example.

Come to Texas, we refuse to recognize a recession.
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #8
fastal

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2000 Z28
Even though you have gotten positive reviews on your resume I would suggest you find a resume writer with a good reputation and have them review it. Like NoUCantDriveIt suggested tune your resume to each position you apply for and make sure to put a custom cover letter.

Another thing is that these days with so many places either using OCR and word matching software or clueless HR drones to do the initial review try to figure out the key words being looked for from the job ads. Even if you think an abbreviation is common usage work both the abbreviation and fully spelled out meaning. You never know if someone was told to look for Reduced Instruction Set Computer and you only put down RISC, then they toss your resume because you don't list what they are looking for.

Be willing to push yourself on companies. Turn your resume in, do your research and try to find the hiring manager. Give them a call and tell them you sent in your resume and are available for an interview at their convenience. Don't use email for this, pick up the phone and call.

Last piece of advice I have is network, network, network. Hit up anyone you worked as an intern for ask for advice from them, maybe don't even ask about open positions. Instead apply to their ego and say you are looking for a mentor to help with your job search. Try to contact other interns you worked with and see if they know of positions hiring. Work with people you took classes with. Linkedin and even Facebook can be great tools to get in contact with people in your field.
fastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
http://careers.northropgrumman.com/E...eNumber=186299

Job Description This position requires experience in C++, C, and Assembler software development for Windows and Linux platforms. Applications range from user interface creation to device driver development for communications and networked systems. Qualifications include moderate experience with various networking protocols, multi-threaded applications, user and kernel mode applications, algorithm development, and graphical user interfaces. Experience with various programming languages in a disciplined software development environment required, as well as integration of commercial and open source products. BS Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field with a minimum of two years experience. This position requires frequent use and application of technical standards, principles, theories, concepts and techniques. Qualified candidate will provide solutions to a variety of technical problems of moderate scope and complexity. Ability to obtain a TS clearance is required. Position location - Elkridge, MD. Basic Qualifications: S CS or CE, minimum two years experience with above essential skills and ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance is required Work Location: Xetron Facility - Elkridge, MD. ------- Designs, develops, documents, tests and debugs applications software and systems that contain logical and mathematical solutions. Conducts multidisciplinary research and collaborates with equipment designers and/or hardware engineers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of electronic data processing systems for product and commercial software. Determines computer user needs; analyzes system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepares operating instructions; designs and develops compilers and assemblers, utility programs, and operating systems. Ensures software standards are met. Typical Minimum Education / Experience: 2 Years with Bachelors in Science; 0 Years with Masters Relocation Assistance Available. Security Clearance Required.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
NoUCantDriveIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastal View Post
Even though you have gotten positive reviews on your resume I would suggest you find a resume writer with a good reputation and have them review it. Like NoUCantDriveIt suggested tune your resume to each position you apply for and make sure to put a custom cover letter.

Another thing is that these days with so many places either using OCR and word matching software or clueless HR drones to do the initial review try to figure out the key words being looked for from the job ads. Even if you think an abbreviation is common usage work both the abbreviation and fully spelled out meaning. You never know if someone was told to look for Reduced Instruction Set Computer and you only put down RISC, then they toss your resume because you don't list what they are looking for.

Be willing to push yourself on companies. Turn your resume in, do your research and try to find the hiring manager. Give them a call and tell them you sent in your resume and are available for an interview at their convenience. Don't use email for this, pick up the phone and call.

Last piece of advice I have is network, network, network. Hit up anyone you worked as an intern for ask for advice from them, maybe don't even ask about open positions. Instead apply to their ego and say you are looking for a mentor to help with your job search. Try to contact other interns you worked with and see if they know of positions hiring. Work with people you took classes with. Linkedin and even Facebook can be great tools to get in contact with people in your field.
All good points fastal.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Another proposal

Your situation sounds typical. I have a bachelor of science in mechanical engineering. I have worked for a variety of companies.

1) This might sound out of the box, but if for any reason, you do not have any skills using Autocad or something like that, you could possibly learn this at a community college, then get your foot in the door in a big company doing drafting. Once you have more knowledge on what they are doing, they probably will slide you side-ways and put you in an area more suited to your studies, but at LEAST you could get in the door to prove yourself.

2) If you understand ladder-logic and programming in C++, almost ANY company who builds stand alone industrial machines, needs a software guy to debug the machine, dump in a new program, replace parts. This again, would be a way to get-in-the-door, learn about the products, then get promoted to a higher position in management.

3) Try to keep your resume on just one single page. don't ever use more than one page. That's crazy.

4) I have noticed that the more "engineering looking" my resume has looked (like having it very straightforward, no fancy talk, like you mean business and can tackle anything), this will help. Just keep things to the point and make it look organized.

5) I used to know a computer engineer. he worked for northern telecom in richardson tx, before northern telecom had huge layoffs. I have no idea what he did though. I think the dallas and/or Texas area does likely have jobs available in your field.

6) Regarding job hunting, like others said, you might have to have the door slammed in your face 100 times or more, but that's just the process. You will get better at job interviews. You will learn from mistakes. Usually, when people do hiring, I am pretty sure they are just looking for someone who will "fit" with their personality more than just skills. If I were you I would not act "entitled" when you do interviews. That is suicide (like saying I have to have my own office, or I have to have this-or-that). I would just be humble and say you are ready to work.

7) If you go to interviews and you sneeze, or touch your face, or put your finger in your ear, or touch any part of your face, you likely just blew your chance to get hired. If you blow your nose into a handkercheif, you just kissed your job goodbye. And do not smell like any kind of strange foods or smell like B.O. This is basic advice, but unfortunately most people even though they are super intelligent, cannot do these simple things. Don't place a finger into any orifice on your body. It's pretty simple. I have had many engineers approach me and they are picking their nose at the same time or pulling on their nose hairs. I don't know what professional really means anymore. I guess it's okay now to be disgusting. Also, if you aren't wearing a suit/jacket/tie/slacks looking as professionally as you possibly can, you just completely screwed up.

8) Absolutely you need a headhunter. That is how I found just about every job I ever had.

9) Be advised, many people who have "technical" degrees, might end up totally in a different field. You might not have a choice. I recall meeting many a chemical engineer, who was doing electrical/or mechanical type engineering duties.

10) You could consider applying for electrical engineering jobs. They likely will just train you on what they do/how they do it. You could try this option. such as designing small automated systems. even a very small company might hire you and you could just gain some kind of experience. its usually grunt type of work and you likely would look at electrical drawings drawn in autocad.

11) If after 2 years you still can't find work, you definitely will need to look at re-inventing yourself. Think about what interests you have. Perhaps something in alternative fuels/energy. You could join the alternative-teaching program which trains any college graduate in one year to be able to teach in high school. Dallas has it. I know that sounds bad, but this is just an extreme worst-case scenario. At least you will get paid.

12) you could go back to school and become a BSEE.

13) you could work in sales and sell engineering products. any company would hire you and train you to write up bids for projects. you might earn commisions. (sales guys have all kinds of backgrounds).

14) I dearly hope you are not being racially profiled. You did not say your race, but it likely is not impossible that this kind of thing happens.

Good luck.

Last edited by 2001ragtop; 09-28-2009 at 10:03 AM.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
nova

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, VR, PW, WR
Quote:
At MS State we had Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) and then straight Computer Engineering (CPE)

All I can offer is a lot of times, its not what you know but who you know. Thats the only way I got my job (Aero Engineer) 3 years ago when the job market was a lot better.

The only groups I know hiring Computer Engineers these days is gov't and gov't contractors...

Mods:
skip shift eliminator (hey everybody's gotta start somewhere )
crappily painted engine cover...
nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #13
OUTATIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post

7) If you go to interviews and you sneeze, or touch your face, or put your finger in your ear, or touch any part of your face, you likely just blew your chance to get hired. If you blow your nose into a handkercheif, you just kissed your job goodbye. And do not smell like any kind of strange foods or smell like B.O. This is basic advice, but unfortunately most people even though they are super intelligent, cannot do these simple things. Don't place a finger into any orifice on your body. It's pretty simple. I have had many engineers approach me and they are picking their nose at the same time or pulling on their nose hairs. I don't know what professional really means anymore. I guess it's okay now to be disgusting. Also, if you aren't wearing a suit/jacket/tie/slacks looking as professionally as you possibly can, you just completely screwed up.
I totally agree with you - a lot of people aren't completely out of the college mindset before they go into corporate. Luckily, I don't fit this stereotype, or at least I don't think I do. And, I'll never eat curry or garlic while working a corporate job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001ragtop View Post
14) I dearly hope you are not being racially profiled. You did not say your race, but it likely is not impossible that this kind of thing happens.

Good luck.
Man, I don't know, my defense company story definitely sounded that way. I actually had an offer in my hand and then they took it away!! I had already completed my security clearance paperwork BEFORE the interview, which they said would be internally reviewed BEFORE the offer. I'm Indian but I was born in the U.S. (I have NO accent), and have no financial discrepancies either (no loans, no bankruptcy, etc.).

Anyway, thanks for everyone's advice. I've seen a lot of it before, but there are things that are new as well - like finding a headhunter. I was trying not to do that, only for the sake of not venturing into the unknown, but I'll give it a try now. On that topic, I have a question - since you end up giving a cut of your cash in one way or another to the headhunter, how do you know you are not being ripped off? How do you know a headhunter is legitimate and isn't going to try and get you into a consulting position that has a contract attached to it?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #14
NoUCantDriveIt

Quote:
Anyway, thanks for everyone's advice. I've seen a lot of it before, but there are things that are new as well - like finding a headhunter. I was trying not to do that, only for the sake of not venturing into the unknown, but I'll give it a try now. On that topic, I have a question - since you end up giving a cut of your cash in one way or another to the headhunter, how do you know you are not being ripped off? How do you know a headhunter is legitimate and isn't going to try and get you into a consulting position that has a contract attached to it?
As for the Headhunter taking a cut of your pay, think of it as a trade-off. A smaller paycheck while getting established is better than NO paycheck right? It's what us old-timers call "paying the dues".

Finding a good headhunter in some cases isn't much unlike finding a good employer. (just what you wanted to hear eh? ) Do the research to find what suits your needs. There's a differance between a Job Broker, and a Headhunter. Mostly the point made earlier about Networking will serve well in this area.

For example, if there's a local Engineering users group in your area, join in and establish contacts. 1) Those contacts have or are using headhunters and know the names of good and bad. Best case, a member will let you use their name as an intro for a good headhunter. The HH won't want to lose favor of an existing client with advanced skills bringing in $$, so HH will be more apt to talk to you. 2) The contacts are an excellent source of "we have someone leaving our team", which gives you advance notice of a possible job (before the competition hears about it) and you know someone on the inside (who you know, not what you know and all that). 3) The group will be a great way to stay up to date with whats new and going on in your profession, and how your technology is actually being used in real life. Membership could also be just one of those little tid-bits you could mention in an interview if needed.

Rethink your opinion on consulting contracts, they aren't entirely a bad thing. It will give your resume some variety (display ability to learn new and transfer skills between work environments) , give paid job experience, and consultants often pull in a higher rate (off sets the lack of benefits and 1099 taxes). Although, with some Headhunters you could be on a W-2 (minimal benefits, but no quarterly tax to mess with). The biggest gain is many-many of those contracts turn full-time Employee if that is your goal. Employers use consultants like a risk-free test drive, and sometimes keep the ones they like. From a business point of view, the hiring process is expensive and firing someone is loaded with land-mines. Where as getting rid of a contracter is as easy for them as calling the headhunter and telling them "times-up, contract terminated".

This is getting far too long. Hazzard of asking a woman a question I suppose.