Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Need help -Check engine light and bcm codes from upgrading to phastek plasma bulbs

Posting here as well

Hi guys,

Yesterday I just started driving and recieved a warning along the lines of "check power something", I pulled over to have a look and turned the car off. I then went to restart and the check engine light came on and multiple warning flashed. It basically looked like it was prompting me through every warning. Again I turned car off. It then wouldn't start for a couple minutes.

It now starts and runs fine with no engine light.

I took it to the dealer this morning and was told they detected there was loss of communication to the BCM.

They told me this was likely do to the upgraded plasma drl's I had installed. I also have the harness that connects the drl to the halos so that they can both be on at the same time.

I'm curious if anyone else has bad issues? And if anyone bag is more knowledgable than me can weigh in.

Can switching to plasma bulbs and a simple wiring splice to power them cause the bcm to looses communication and then throw on these warnings?

Is it possible the car wasn't starting because the bcm was rebooting?

I just don't want the dealer to point at these drl's and miss something bigger.

FYI...this is a 2013 2ss 1le. The bulbs I bought from phasetek.

Hopefully I get some feedback here

Thanks

Last edited by Msmall143; 11-02-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #2
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Drives: 13' Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP 1 of 76
From my many years at a major manufacturer dealer service dept, it is very possible the plug and play harness could set dtc's and cause issues with the CAN network. The bcm is constantly monitoring circuits for faults and possible back feed from the bulbs through the spliced harness could cause fault codes. Also when an ecu on a network has issues it stops communicating with the other ECU's I.e. power train SRS VSC TPMS ETC..those ECU's then set dtcs for lack of communication with the ecu setting fault codes. Which is why you had every light on the dash and it wouldn't start. My advice. Lose all plug and play harness or splices into vehicle ecu. They will deny any and all warranty claims pertaining to the issue. You do not want to have to buy a bcm. Or multiple ECU's. Major money.

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
VOGGS-LS3-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Msmall143

Interesting, I haven't heard of a single other person having issues. If it happens again I'll pull the splice.

I wonder what the alternatives are to have the drl's and the halos on at the same time? I like the look.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

I too love the look, I knew a friend that had a 02 z28, the DRL module actually went up in smoke burning most of the harness, module, and dash duct work. Finally the main fuse popped and stopped the potential melt down and fire. You know root cause? The e brake switch is a ground side switch for the body ecu. He spliced the ground to run a reverse solenoid on a t56 swap from an auto. To engage reverse he would click up the e brake handle one or 2 clicks. Worked for years, one day almost killed the car. Good luck with whatever you do. Just do it right. I hate to hear horror stories of aftermarket equipment installs causing catastrophic events.

1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
Old 11-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Backfeed its a killer.

1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
Old 11-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOGGS-LS3-1LE View Post
Backfeed its a killer.
Yea, I agree. I learned the hard way working in a old cj-7. It's easier to do things right the first way.

After researching a bit I can't find anyone with a similar issue. However I did find what seems to be a better product which factors in and is designed properly to avoid backfired. It's a $50 part but is rather have it setup right. So I just went out and removed the splice, triple taped it up nice and clean.

Now it's time to right phastek an email

I did my research prior to install and didn't find any issues if this kind.

Thanks for your insight, we have similar train if thoughts
Old 11-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Good luck

1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
Old 11-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #8
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
My view ... don't dick around with non stock lights. I know others will disagree. I screwed up and didn't get the RS. Then I tried to put stock RS lights in there with an aftermarket harness. No end of trouble. New bulbs. New ballast. Nothing worked. Only one headlamp then the one that worked started flashing. Odd. Looked cool when they were off. Removed everything and went back to stock.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote