Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #71
GPz1100

Drives: 97 Z28 6MT, '12 G37 6MT
No way to disable this? Perhaps it's an option the dealer can turn off?
GPz1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #72
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
The first time it came on it startled me but after that I find I use the same style of take off and it really is not a hindrance. You have to find that sweet spot on the clutch that holds the car in place so you can release the brake and hold the car then it's a matter of giving it a couple hundred extra RPM when you take off. Once the hill assist kicks in you can take your foot off the brake but you still have to find that sweet spot on the clutch to hold the car. That's is the hardest part about teach someone to drive a stick and it takes practice. I have a sloped driveway so it was easy place to teach the kid how to hold the car in place.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:04 PM   #73
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
It has taken me a little time to adjust to it but I'm okay now. I have been driving manuals for almost 40 years and not used to having a feature like this on any of my cars that I owned. I kind of like it though. Just takes time to get used to it especially on hills but with time it gets real easy to use.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #74
Com69
Banned

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS 6M Nightfall Gray
Hill assist sometimes kicks in, sometimes doesn't. Same hill at stop light every day, kicks in about half the time. I've been driving stick for longer than I'm willing to admit, so whether it kicks in or not, I still drive the same way I would if hill assist didn't exist.
Com69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #75
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbasterd View Post
It's simply a matter of getting used to it. The trick is to TRUST IT! It goes against your natural reaction when driving a manual and stoping on a hill. You have to train yourself to trust you can completely remove your foot from the break and the car will stay put. Once you trust it, after a few times you get used to it. Like any new car, theres a break in period for the driver as well as the car.
You should never have to trust that somebody else's preferred way of operating the clutch and throttle is going to be 'right' for you. Doesn't matter who they are, or how well-intentioned they may be, it's just not their call to make.

It's probably a good thing overall that this technology exists, but trying to force it on everybody who drives your company's MT cars is still wrong. Subaru has had the right idea here (driver-switchable HSA, default = "off" . . . but even driver-switchable with the default = "on" would be better than completely unswitchable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucely Engineered View Post
I don't understand how so many people have issues and stall with this. I find it kind of nice most of the time. I've had more manuals than automatics out of the 30 something cars i've had, and this is by far one of the easiest i've driven next to the '06 GTO I had.

I just usually slowly let out the clutch until i feel the rpms "resist" then let off the brake and go like any normal start.
If you're feeling the rpms being resisted, you're slipping the clutch at least a little too much.

Those who normally get their cars' clutches fully engaged with little or no throttle are going to be the ones most likely to have HSA stall their car out on them. If you naturally slip the clutch more or launch harder, you won't be affected as much and would probably adapt better.

Norm
Old 07-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #76
Husker67

Drives: '22 Camaro 2SS 1LE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS376 View Post
Ha! 70 degrees would be double the steepest incline of any road in the world 20 is steep. 70 is almost a wall.
Good point, but I get where he is coming from. People get right up on your ass and it's alittle bit frustrating with them that close on a hill.
Husker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #77
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I have no issue with the hill assist. But honestly, with the new ebrake, is it really necessary? If I feel like the incline is more than I can deal with I can simply set my ebrake, it automatically releases when I attempt to drive my car.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #78
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
I have no issue with the hill assist. But honestly, with the new ebrake, is it really necessary? If I feel like the incline is more than I can deal with I can simply set my ebrake, it automatically releases when I attempt to drive my car.
Exacrly, I find this better than the hill assist.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #79
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
I'm reading these posts and have 2 comments to kick in:

1) Still gotta love the simplicity and the versatility of a good, old fashioned hand-operated pull-up ratchet-type e-brake that allows the driver total control of launching your manual transmission car on a hill. (among other benefits )

2) Now... that being said, without having experience using the Camaro's HSA, the electric e-brake on my '10 CTS-V looks to be a bit simpler. If you want it to work on a hill, you must set it. It will not engage on its own. When set, it simply prevents the car from rolling back without having to keep your foot on the brake and without having to do a fancy 2-step with the clutch. Just hit the gas and engage the clutch as per any normal launch and the e-brake automatically releases on its own and you get a smooth, lurch-free launch.

Gotta wonder if this very sophisticated technology is an answer to a question that nobody asked...

Best regards,

Elie
Old 07-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #80
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
I stall it out every time it comes on. And with the push button it takes another 25 seconds of holding up traffic to get it to start back up again. Never had an issue stalling in cars without the "assist".
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:53 PM   #81
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Auto assist has never caused me to stall out.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote