Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
EATIT

Drives: 2010 camaro 2LT/Rally Yellow
rear speakers

I know this sounds lazy or something but........ Has anybody thought or has anyone actually tried to remove the rear speakers without taking it all apart? my thought looking at it is this, It might be possible to simply cut the rear speakers into pieces from the trunk side, once out, what would stop us from taking a 6x9 speaker and just hang it from underneath with some self tapping screws into the rear deck? I think with some dynamat or some gasket material between the speaker and the deck would also help with any vibration, sure they would hang a bit lower, but i really think this would work, its a thought, anyone want to comment? anybody see something i am missing that would shoot doing this down? I am just leary about taking so much aprt to change 2 speakers, not afraid of the work , afraid of damage!!!!
EATIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
You would create more damage doing it the way you want to than doing it the right way. There is a DIY write up on how to do it. Really easier than you think. Remove seat, remove back of seat, remove side panels, remove the rear pillars, the hardest part is the screw in the pillar, and then remove the back deck. I did mine in about 2 hours, start to finish. If you don't want to do it, take it to a car audio install shop and pay them to do it for you.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
EATIT

ok, just seems like it could work, I will most likely do it the right way, just seeing if a short cut would work
Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Or you could take out the rear window, cut holes in the deck, replace speakers, duct tape mesh over the holes and replace window. Done!

OK, j/k. Removing the trim really isn't hard at all. I did it without removing the side window trim because I didn't want to stop when I found I did not have the right torx to remove the seatbelt. Get the torx. It was a pain putting the deck back in.

Last edited by CWI; 02-21-2012 at 10:20 AM.
CWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
EATIT

yeah, was just trying to come up with a short cut, will do it the right way, i was afraid of the airbag part, is there anything to know about working around that airbag. I would hate to have it deploy!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
I removed all the trim and panel pieces last night. Just use steady gentle pressure when popping out the panels. A plastic trim tool is your friend. Make sure to have a 45 torx bit for the seatbelts. Be careful when removing the pieces as to not scratch the others. Lastly just be gentle around the airbag. Nothing to be afraid of, just remember at the back window end of that piece is a 7mm screw that needs removed.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
EATIT

ok, it was mostly the airbag thing that scared me! sounds like i wont be shortcutting this operation!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
CWI
Helping Build America

Quote:
Originally Posted by EATIT View Post
ok, it was mostly the airbag thing that scared me! sounds like i wont be shortcutting this operation!!!
This procedure doesn't interfere with the air bag at all. The black clip refered to in the DIY thread has nothing to do with the airbag other than that it is a tether for when the airbags were to be deployed, the trim piece won't become a projectile. Push the little tab down while pulling the tab towards the rear of the car.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
EATIT

i thought it said something about a screw under the airbag or someting, oh well, you guys convinced me and will do it when ready to replace speakers
Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EATIT View Post
i thought it said something about a screw under the airbag or someting, oh well, you guys convinced me and will do it when ready to replace speakers

That sthe 7mm screw I'm talking about. Its not beside the airbag , it's at the end of the interior piece that covers the airbag.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #11
Soundplus

Drives: 2012 Silver Ice SS2 RS
No worries I did a DIY write up for the head liner but it details on how to remove all the back sections of the car. it will not deploy the air bag.
Soundplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
EATIT

ok, thanks!!!!!!!!!! if it does deploy I am coming back here and saying I told you so!!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #13
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
so those of you that did do this, why did you do it? to replace 6x9s as your only midbass/bass driver (i.e. subs), or to replace them as drivers dedicated to mids only? i'd be curious if the former, how the sound compares to stock. basically a "should i just replace the 6x9s in my car or should i add a subwoofer instead" discussion. subwoofer makes the most sense, but then you may easily lose the audible recognition of your rear parking sensors if they can't play through the 6x9s.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #14
CWI
Helping Build America

I don't think you lose any stock audio features if you use the FARK. Not sure, I don't have the backup sensors.