Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-15-2017, 10:54 AM   #43
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Yup, $36k for it. Got a helluva deal on it, as you guys pointed out. Single owner car, was a daily driver down in Austin, and the gentleman traded it in due to bone disease problems with just under 45k on the clock. Her paint isn't 100%, you can tell it was driven, and I have ZERO issues with that. Already have almost 2k miles on it since we got it, and drive it every chance I get.

As for the power increase, trust me.. I'm aware of what could happen. lol. I was just going to do it myself, but since parts and dyno time would be just shy of $2k under having a shop do it, having someone like 21st Century Muscle car here local do it AND getting a 2 year warranty out of the deal.. makes more sense to go that way.

One fun thing out of this whole experience is my wife has now decided she doesn't want me LS swapping her 91. Instead, she wants a 2017 Green ZL1. So, that'll hopefully happen next year.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:07 AM   #44
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Regarding my Z/28, it is a daily driver, and I love it, I would never trade it for a blown car, but, that is my preference, Regarding "cult status" -- for a track car that is losing value, it is amazing how many people treat me like a celebrity when I drive it. People video taping me in the freeway - yelling at me to goose it, giving me the thumbs up the whole time. People stopping to talk to me when I park it. More thumbs up than I can count. Lots of lookers when I bring it to the car show once in a while instead of my '70 Chevelle SS396. It is really surprising how many people recognize that it is not a Camaro. The LS7-427 is a big deal, people absolutely love this engine and we all know how unreal it is to drive an LS7 daily. No new stock car on the planet, starting up cold, sounds more like a muscle car than the Z/28. It is the whole experience of the car that makes us loyal fans so gun-ho. It is hard to describe...

I agree the "cult status" thing seems to be real for now.
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:39 PM   #45
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
Regarding my Z/28, it is a daily driver, and I love it, I would never trade it for a blown car, but, that is my preference, Regarding "cult status" -- for a track car that is losing value, it is amazing how many people treat me like a celebrity when I drive it. People video taping me in the freeway - yelling at me to goose it, giving me the thumbs up the whole time. People stopping to talk to me when I park it. More thumbs up than I can count. Lots of lookers when I bring it to the car show once in a while instead of my '70 Chevelle SS396. It is really surprising how many people recognize that it is not a Camaro. The LS7-427 is a big deal, people absolutely love this engine and we all know how unreal it is to drive an LS7 daily. No new stock car on the planet, starting up cold, sounds more like a muscle car than the Z/28. It is the whole experience of the car that makes us loyal fans so gun-ho. It is hard to describe...

I agree the "cult status" thing seems to be real for now.

Yep... similar experiences. I've had mine for 2 years and it hasn't abated. I don't fully understand it, but it's real. Maybe it's because it's so rare. I've seen a ton of GT350s and a couple of Rs. Excluding a group of fellow Z/28 owners in the area, I've only crossed paths with 2 Z/28s. So, most have only seen one in pics and vids. You then have to ask, why did it tank in value if it's so beloved? Why aren't they holding value like GT350s (have seen non R sell in auctions for $60k)?

First....$40k is still a lot for a car.

Second....if you were going to spend $40k on a car, then for most it must be a daily. Again, most can't drop $40k on dedicated track car.

Third.... if married you have to convince your spouse (likely a wife) that a stripped out track car is a good idea. A few on this forum have sold theirs because their wives wouldn't ride in it. I am certain that many would be owners were told "hell no".

Fourth.....tons of misinformation on the web scaring folks away. For instance....CCBs will have to be replaced at 50k miles and will cost $4k, can't get AC, valve issues w/ LS7, etc.

Fifth.... according to various reports, only 18% of the U.S. population knows how to drive a manual. That number is likely smaller when you factor out the folks who only have marginal experience.

Sixth... fuel mileage

Seventh....the average person still thinks 300 HP is a lot. Most aren't going to feel confident about driving a 505 HP car. We're in a very small group when compared to the total buying population.

When you add it all up, most simply won't consider it as an option. That doesn't stop them from going gaga over it, however. If I were married and driving a mini van I'd view the Z/28 as the total antithesis and be like "if only....". A 1Le is cool (although as said before I don't like aesthetics of Gen6), but it's not the uber bad bay, in your face, middle finger to everyone else on the road that a Z/28 is.

As far as GT305s go, the Mustang fandom is a super loyal bunch. When you slap "Shelby" on it they simply lose their minds.

My 2 cents.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #46
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIFIED View Post
Yep... similar experiences. I've had mine for 2 years and it hasn't abated. I don't fully understand it, but it's real. Maybe it's because it's so rare. I've seen a ton of GT350s and a couple of Rs. Excluding a group of fellow Z/28 owners in the area, I've only crossed paths with 2 Z/28s. So, most have only seen one in pics and vids. You then have to ask, why did it tank in value if it's so beloved? Why aren't they holding value like GT350s (have seen non R sell in auctions for $60k)?

First....$40k is still a lot for a car.

Second....if you were going to spend $40k on a car, then for most it must be a daily. Again, most can't drop $40k on dedicated track car.

Third.... if married you have to convince your spouse (likely a wife) that a stripped out track car is a good idea. A few on this forum have sold theirs because their wives wouldn't ride in it. I am certain that many would be owners were told "hell no".

Fourth.....tons of misinformation on the web scaring folks away. For instance....CCBs will have to be replaced at 50k miles and will cost $4k, can't get AC, valve issues w/ LS7, etc.

Fifth.... according to various reports, only 18% of the U.S. population knows how to drive a manual. That number is likely smaller when you factor out the folks who only have marginal experience.

Sixth... fuel mileage

Seventh....the average person still thinks 300 HP is a lot. Most aren't going to feel confident about driving a 505 HP car. We're in a very small group when compared to the total buying population.

When you add it all up, most simply won't consider it as an option. That doesn't stop them from going gaga over it, however. If I were married and driving a mini van I'd view the Z/28 as the total antithesis and be like "if only....". A 1Le is cool (although as said before I don't like aesthetics of Gen6), but it's not the uber bad bay, in your face, middle finger to everyone else on the road that a Z/28 is.

As far as GT305s go, the Mustang fandom is a super loyal bunch. When you slap "Shelby" on it they simply lose their minds.

My 2 cents.
This is definitely true. From a personal level, I haven't owned a 500+ hp car. Driven a lot of them, and it's so nice to actually have my own. The LS7 is just godly. And, thankfully, my wife is extremely understanding of my desires here.. and she never complains about riding in the car, even with it being bumpy.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote