Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
chicagojoe16

Drives: 2010 Camaro
1SS vs. 2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track, Fully Loaded

Did anyone else consider going with the fully loaded Hyundai Genesis Coupe before they decided on the Camaro? It was one of the cars I thought about and I recently got to see it in person. It is a MUCH prettier can in person than in the ads and videos. I was floored really. So thoughts on the comparison? The prices are about the same, I want to know what you think about how they stack up.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Stock to stock, the camaro will take it in the 1/4.

In the looks dept I like the Genn Coupe. Nice lines, rake stance, they did a good job. Interior is nice, lots of extra's, and the visibility is much better than when I sat in the camaro. A little small for me, but I found the Camaro small to. The camaro looks are nice, but the fake hood intake (mail slot) disappointed me. Gah I hate fake, non functional hood scoops. That includes the ones on the 09 Stangs as well.

As far as driving one, I did not get to do a test drive, so I cannot compare that, but over all I think Hyundai has come a long way with this car. I know the aftermarket for it is getting huge. Turbo's, S/C, exhaust systems, gears, ect.......already available. Rumor is the stock block can take about 500....

So do not sleep on these cars. See a Gen coupe coming up on you, take it seriously. Take it lightly..oh its just another ricer...and you may get surprised.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
c0rsa180

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS IOM
Personally I'd have to say no comparison, the camaro ss will be better in almost every aspect...

The reason I say this is because Motor Trend recently pitted the Genesis against the v6 camaro in a comparison and the Genesis just barely beat the v6, so i say add an additional 120hp and an upgraded suspension and Camaro wins...

And as far as treating the car as just another ricer and being surprised, this can happen with any car being modded, and personally ill take my chances lol

Inferno Orange Metallic
2SS
RS
M6
ordered 2/17/09
c0rsa180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
The V6 track Genesis is nearly identical in performance to the Camaro; with a slight advantage to the Hyundai.(See: Edmunds...I think) The SS will absolutely wipe the road with it.

I drove it a couple of months ago, and while it was a nice car, I was not impressed by any means - especially at $30k+. "Tin Can" aptly describes my impressions of the car.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #5
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
I could understand comparing the V6 camaro to the hyundai, but the SS is not even a fair comparison. I am sure the Hyundai is fun to drive but if you are willing to forego some of the extras of the 2SS then I would definitely go for the 1SS over the Hyundai. If leather seats, etc. are more important to you, I would go for the 2LT V6 camaro again over the Hyundai. Aftermarket on the Hyundai will be very limited, this will not be the case for the Camaro.

Seriously, in 5 years, do you think the Camaro or the Genesis will be worth more? The Hyundai will be in a junkyard by then.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Ninjak
Banned

Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
I could understand comparing the V6 camaro to the hyundai, but the SS is not even a fair comparison. I am sure the Hyundai is fun to drive but if you are willing to forego some of the extras of the 2SS then I would definitely go for the 1SS over the Hyundai. If leather seats, etc. are more important to you, I would go for the 2LT V6 camaro again over the Hyundai. Aftermarket on the Hyundai will be very limited, this will not be the case for the Camaro.

Seriously, in 5 years, do you think the Camaro or the Genesis will be worth more? The Hyundai will be in a junkyard by then.
I would have to disagree with this. The Aftermarket right now for the Genn coupe is huge, and steadily growing. Remember, this car had a head start in Korea well before it hit the states. I would dare say that there are more aftermarket parts available for the Genn Coupe than the Camaro right now.

The Top Genn Coupe btw has leather, bluetooth, hmm actually everything the 2SS has..right down to the bembro brakes. Just lacking in the N/A power dept really....

As far as which will be worth more ? Hard to say really...I mean if we use 3rd or 4th Gen Camaro's as a example...
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
The Genesis is a little better around the track, but less comfortable and less sexy.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Hyundai has done a great job with what is really their first stab at a front engine RWD 2+2 coupe. This car has picked up a lot of fans because of its RWD and price. Japan doesn't offer a vehicle like the Genesis Coupe here in that price range. The 370Z and even more expensive Infinity G37 are likely out of the Hyundai buyers’ price range.

Hyundai did a great job in setting the car up for its capabilities. I think the jury will be out on Hyundai's engines and how well they are tuned and how easy they are to mod as they have never had a real performance car on this level before.

Straight line the Hyundai won't give the Camaro, Mustang or Challenger much of a fight in V8 trim. But as we've already seen the car is quick and well suited to take on the V6 Camaro and leave the Mustang and Challenger V6’s for dead.

I would think an accomplished driver in a Genesis coupe could put some scare in a Camaro SS, Mustang GT and certainly a Challenger R/T in the twisties. The Genesis would probably be hard to shake without some longer straights.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
wavrun2000
o come on

Drives: 06 GTO
Me and one of my buddies test drove a Genesis. It was a good car but i don't think it really compares to the SS very well. I think that if you wanted to do a comparison you should do it between the V6 and the Genesis. There is just more power and torque from the SS and not to mention the V8 sound and feel :flag2:
wavrun2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #10
chicagojoe16

Good thoughts...I'm just kinda regretting my camaro order with the hold on V8 manuals, I want to be in a new car before winter and the delay is making the camaro less attractive.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #11
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
hmmm 2010 Camaro SS or Hyundai Genesis Coupe????

No, Never would even comapare the two.
________
Toyota carina history

Last edited by jrc1122; 03-11-2011 at 10:00 PM.
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
chicagojoe16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
hmmm 2010 Camaro SS or Hyundai Genesis Coupe????

No, Never would even comapare the two.
They're not that far off, you sacrifice hp for handling, they're both coupes.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
Tag Lane
no PS requests klolthx

Drives: im a child yo
Maybe they're a little comparable, but I'm just not one of those people who would buy a Genesis. The Genesis coupe looks like a cut rate G37, and its just not my taste. I suppose more open minded people would look at a Hyundai then a Chevy, but I'm just a Chevy guy on default. I'm sure most people here are like me.

Don't hate. Appreciate.
Tag Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #14
chicagojoe16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag Lane View Post
Maybe they're a little comparable, but I'm just not one of those people who would buy a Genesis. The Genesis coupe looks like a cut rate G37, and its just not my taste. I suppose more open minded people would look at a Hyundai then a Chevy, but I'm just a Chevy guy on default. I'm sure most people are like me.
Understandable. When I saw the Genesis in person I thought to myself, 'ya know, this is so nice you could put the infiniti badge on it and I'd believe it'. I'm not loyal to any brand, I'm looking for the most fun driving experience I can afford. I think that's the Camaro but I don't want to wait forever.

Tags
genesis coupe, hyundai