Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

This is the first article I've seen on it...and I'll admit, I haven't been looking very hard. But when I heard that Hyundai wants to have the 'most inexpensive 300hp car on the planet"...I started digging for something.

Here's what I found. It's a good article, but even though the general feeling was they thought it was a good car, they didn't seem wowed. You really should read through the whole thing to get a feel of what I'm gonna be saying next:
http://magazine.windingroad.com/wind...00805/?folio=1
(click on "HYUNDAI'S RWD GENESIS COUPE")

The Camaro's going to slaughter this car. They say that Hyundai targeted the 'Stang for it's power and price claims (iow, they wanted a 300hp coupe for less than the Mustang GT). The article guestimates that they coupe should start at around 22k for their anemic 210hp turbo 4banger version, and 25k for the 306hp version. Problem: if you target the Mustang, then you automatically target the Camaro...and this Camaro will ALSO have 300hp, but for far less than the Hyundai (if those prices are right). There goes the genius master-plan.

Thoughts?
Old 06-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Dragon, while I agree that the comparable Camaro will slaughter this and the Mustang in performance, I think Hyundai will sell a ton of these.

They'll compete with the Honda Accord coupe and the Nissan Altima coupe for that business. But, they will also take some of the Mustang/Camaro V6 sales. There is still this (incorrect) perception of poor quality in American cars, especially muscle/pony cars. Plus, it's a Hyundai....a lot of people really buy into that 10 yr/100K mile warranty thing. And, while again it's a perception issue, the hype will be the great gas mileage and the "greeness" of a 300hp coupe selling for under 30K.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Camaro (and the Mustang for that matter) out perform the Genesis hands down. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them get just as good of gas mileage at the Hyundai. But, I also won't be surprised to see Hyundai come close in sales numbers to the Accord and Altima, which are far and away higher numbers than the Camaro and Mustang numbers.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
It will weigh a bit less that the Camaro, probably. And we don't know what sort of power the Camaro will get with its 3.6L engine. Still, it will likely cost less than the 300 hp Hyundai.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:59 AM   #4
JaysonAych

Drives: 2002 Dodge Stratus
I imagine it'll find its niche and do well...the Tiburon has always been a consistent seller for Hyundai, but not ever what you would call a hit. I remember reading Hyundai execs commenting that they could always count on the Tiburon to sell a certain amount every year, compared to up and down sales of other models, and I think the Genesis Coupe will carry on that tradition. It'll probably slot in between the Mustang and Camaro in the balance of features and price and hit a sweet spot with some buyers. And there will be those who prefer the Asian-derived styling of the Genesis Coupe to the muscle car profile of the American pony cars. And Hyundai proved with their later Tiburons that they can make a good sporty car...the Tiburon was a very balanced car and kept up well with its competition.

It's a worthy effort, and it'll drive well, and it's something to certainly keep an eye on. Hyundai has recently done a good job at pricing and packaging their cars well, and quality is way way up over their original forays into the US market. The shots I've seen of the interior thus far though show it's unforgivably cheap inside, and I think that's going to be its Achilles heel. I don't think the other RWD players in the game have too much to worry about, but it will still be a formidable competitor, especially against similar cars that will be mainly available in FWD.
JaysonAych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Did you forget that I mentioned the same thing in
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ndai#post73002
and you responded?

Don't underestimate Hyundai. They're good at what they do. My predictions:
- It's going to be a decent car. In some ways it will beat the Mustang.
- Of course, it will compete for a lot of import customers.
- It will get a few of the Camaro's new-style customers.
- They targeted the Mustang but failed to account for the Camaro, and the Camaro is going to kick the Genesis's ass!

I'm just happy to see more RWD cars out there.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote