Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #15
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Great write up and dead on! I have the first generation of Technostalgia Tail Lights, i have repaired them over 5 times from led's to moisture issues. The owner is less than reluctant to do anything at all, i sent him several emails and called several times and he is willing to do nothing for any of my issues over the past 2 years and my problems started within a month of installing them~
Old 05-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #16
EdRedCamaro2
4BC Motorsports

Drives: 2010 1SS
I am getting nowhere with Technostalgia either. I only drive my car in good weather. Fogging of the lenses has not been my problem. My problem has been battery drain and constant flickering "show mode" on the outside left unit. The flickering was sporadic while under warranty, but it became constant when I took my Camaro out of hibernation this year.

I got a couple of responses from Todd Sondles at Technostalgia as we were troubleshooting the problem, and then...nothing. He has not responded to any further questions and I even sent videos of the problems. No response.

I sent an email to Chase at Apex last month because this is where the lights were purchased new in 2012. I asked for some assistance in resolving the problem with Todd and Technostalgia. I have received no response from Apex. My guess is that Apex has not responded because maybe there is a contractual arrangement and they cannot respond to me. Or maybe it is embarrassment. I have bought multiple Camaro parts from Apex since 2011 and I just bought new end links from Apex in the past month, but I get silence regarding this rapid fire brake problem.

I don't care about warranty, I just want a fix. If it is a part I need in order to cure the flicker, I'd buy it. Right now I have $400 worth of half-assed LED brake lights. Okay, three-quarter-assed brake lights, since three of the four work properly. I was getting stopped almost daily at traffic lights by nice people alerting me that I have "a burned out bulb". I always smile and thank them, and then curse Technostalgia under my breath as the light turns green. I disconnected the outside left unit and put a piece of blue painter's tape over it, so now other drivers can tell that I have this three-quarter-assed set of LED brake lights.

Here is my assessment: These are the coolest 5th generation brake lights on the market, but DO NOT BUY THEM. If you have $400, there are so many other reliable parts you can buy for your 5th generation Camaro.
Arrived 9/24/09

"In racing, they say that your car goes where your eyes go...I know it's true; racing doesn't lie" The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
EdRedCamaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:24 AM   #17
PEW-PROFESSIONAL

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Technostalgia crack me up, from their website....

"Our customer support has yet to be rivaled. We offer a very knowledgeable staff ready and willing to answer any question a customer might have regarding product details, installation, warranty, or anything else that might come up."

Be aware there is another company in that area (NC) that is posing as another company with the same lights called www.gen5camarolighting.com.
G5carbon.com-SS Carbon fiber Trunk Filler Panels**Carbon fiber Heat Extractor **Z/28 Carbon Fiber Spoiler (Comming Soon)**Z/28 Carbon Fiber Rear Defuser (Comming Soon)**SS Carbon Fiber Lower Grill (Coming Soon)**Z/28 Carbon fiber Side Skirts (Coming soon)**SS Carbon fiber Cooling Plate (Coming Soon)**Camber/Caster Plates (Coming Soon)
Westcoastcamaros.com-Carbon Fiber Engine Cover (Ordered)
PEW-PROFESSIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:28 AM   #18
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I don't understand why after 4 years people are still having the same issues with these lights. Any new product may have issues. You fix the issues and improve the product.

Seems like they are unable to do this. Same issues year after year.

With no real competition is there any REAL incentive for them to actually fix them?

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #19
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I think most people know when buying these that they are crap. I certainly knew what I was getting myself into

But just yesterday a guy on a bike pulled up beside me and couldn't stop gawking over the lights.

Of course right now the left side turn signal is working incorrectly
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #20
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
After 2 years I have no problems but the car is a garage queen and rarely ever gets wet.

I find it hard to believe that there is no competition out there, obviously these type tail lights are very popular with the enthusiast crowd.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #21
EdRedCamaro2
4BC Motorsports

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
I think most people know when buying these that they are crap.

Of course right now the left side turn signal is working incorrectly
After searching Camaro5 and doing other searches on the net, I have seen some people come up with solutions to their problems. The fogged lens people used silicone sealant, others did their own troubleshooting and found a faulty connector or faulty resistor. I have yet to find a solution for the problem that you and I seem to have in common.
Hey! I know! Let's ask Technostalgia for help.
Arrived 9/24/09

"In racing, they say that your car goes where your eyes go...I know it's true; racing doesn't lie" The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
EdRedCamaro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #22
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
I've had mine installed over two years with no issues ... until this weekend. I noticed a bit of moisture in both right side lights and then last night one of the afterburner LEDs went out. Sigh.

Considering the feedback here I will try a repair on my own.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #23
Romeloc

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS A6 Inferno
just took mines off after four years. They were draining my battery every winter. I had to jump my car twice a day and now with the stock ones back on no problems. Its a shame plus a couple of the leds were out and one had condensation
20% tints
Borla Atak cat-bak
Roto-Fab intake
amber footwell, dome, and trunk lighting(AAC)
Decepticon Gas door
Led Taillights (technostalgia)
Romeloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #24
Timaaay

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS w/2ss, '85 T/A Modif
I know this is an old thread and I wish I read this before I laid down $425.00. It's now 2017 and apparently nothing has changed. I installed these and loved then. They worked as they should. I only drive my 2011 in nice weather, otherwise she stays in the garage with a cover. (I only have 20,000 miles on a 7 year old car. I too was having and issue with a parasitic draw of current after installing them. I put a meter on and was drawing 250 MA while just sitting there. By unplugging these, it dropped to around 25 MA. Si I kept my battery render on the car at all times. After washing the car, I noticed some fogging in two lights. I removed them and used silicone just about everywhere water could enter. Then, after having them installed about 8 months, I was puled over by a State trooper. I wasn't speeding, or doing anything wrong. He asked for the usual paperwork. I asked him why I was stopped. He replied
we'll get to that in a few minutes." He went back to his car, ran my info and showed no tickets, warrants, etc. When he returned to my car, he asked me to start the car, put the lights on and asked me to step out. The lights were intermittently flashing as if I had my hazard lights on, then would go back to normal, and back to the strobe-like lights. He said "this appears like a police car, and could be considered impersonating a police officer, which is a felony! Luckily he was a cool guy and after explaining these were supposed to be aftermarket, approved lights that I purchased for safety reasons. He let me gi with a warning, and said with my promise of fixing this tomorrow morning, he'd cut me loose.
I am now back to my my reliable, stock factory lights. It's suck a shame since there lights are cool AF and I really wanted them to work as advertised. I also contacted tech support, via e mail, with a short video, I never received a reply. You live, you learn. How are these still plagued with issues after all these years on the market?
I wouldn't recommend them to anyone
Timaaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:38 PM   #25
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I saw the reviews for them and decided not to waste $400.

So I bought these and have not had a single problem. Daily drive in winter and no issues. On the car 10 months now.

Search on ebay......2010-2013 CHEVY CAMARO SEQUENTIAL SIGNAL FULL LED TAIL LIGHTS ALL RED LENS
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.

Last edited by TheFlyingBananaSS; 10-08-2017 at 06:17 PM.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #26
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Hmm...I haven't had issues with mine. I love them and get plenty of compliments about them.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #27
Markwrench

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS ord 7-7-10 home8-24-10
Mine were a gift from a girlfriend. That was almost 6 years ago and they still wow me. There have been some issues, but in every case, Todd at Technostalgia has come through for me with tech help and service. They now use some sort of vent to prevent fogging and it is effective. Just my 2 "sense"
Markwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #28
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I have had mine in my 2011 SS going on 3 years now with only minor issues with them, each time I had a problem I called Todd direct and he got them fixed and sent back to me no problem and quickly. Since I have had the new ballast resistors installed on them they have worked flawlessly. I personally love them and get all kinds od compliments. Thanks Todd..