Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
1roadking

Drives: 2017 ZL1 silver A10
Expell and ceramic pro

I’m having the whole front end from the apillars and roofline forward, plus the rockers and around the back wheels covered in expell, plus ceramic pro installed over everything for $3000. He’s getting me a price on wrapping the whole car with expell before I drop it off. Thoughts? Is it worth doing the whole car or just stay with what I’m getting.
1roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Putting expel over an entire volume production car is ridiculous. Plus you can wipe on the ceramic yourself and save a lot of money. There’s no hard polish prep when you’re putting it on expel. Alcohol off the expel with a wipe, wipe on the ceramic… I personally think detailers charging huge amounts of money for ceramic over expel is one of the biggest rip offs of the detailing business. Because there’s no real prep.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:03 AM   #3
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Xpel
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:05 AM   #4
Evolvedx27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Putting expel over an entire volume production car is ridiculous. Plus you can wipe on the ceramic yourself and save a lot of money. There’s no hard polish prep when you’re putting it on expel. Alcohol off the expel with a wipe, wipe on the ceramic… I personally think detailers charging huge amounts of money for ceramic over expel is one of the biggest rip offs of the detailing business. Because there’s no real prep.
I did full wrap solely for the self healing feature. Not even a hairline scratch/swirl, anywhere.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:12 AM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvedx27 View Post
I did full wrap solely for the self healing feature. Not even a hairline scratch/swirl, anywhere.
+1

Exactly. The whole point is to be worry free. Ceramic coatings only get you so far...
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #6
S.T.A.R.

Drives: 18'-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolvedx27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
+1

Exactly. The whole point is to be worry free. Ceramic coatings only get you so far...
I was thinking the same thing, a full wrap could set you back 3-5k though.

We're getting a price on a complete wrap today on Xpel Ultra.

Last edited by S.T.A.R.; 10-17-2017 at 08:35 AM.
S.T.A.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:16 AM   #7
k20attack

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
I'm wrapping the whole car except for the doors and rear bumper and I got 2 quotes. One was $4K and the other was around $4500. Wrap includes headlights and a small piece behind each rear wheel as well.

If you're a perfectionist about your car like I am then the value is there. Especially if you use waterless car wash products like I do. Xpell will help prevent swirl marks when using those products. I also tailgate people a lot and my previous camaro got a lot of rock chips and I had to repaint the hood and front splitter. So you could save $ that way as well.
k20attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
Evolvedx27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
+1

Yup. Had ceramic pro done to my last car. Junk.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
Evolvedx27

Quote:
Originally Posted by k20attack View Post
I'm wrapping the whole car except for the doors and rear bumper and I got 2 quotes. One was $4K and the other was around $4500. Wrap includes headlights and a small piece behind each rear wheel as well.

If you're a perfectionist about your car like I am then the value is there. Especially if you use waterless car wash products like I do. Xpell will help prevent swirl marks when using those products. I also tailgate people a lot and my previous camaro got a lot of rock chips and I had to repaint the hood and front splitter. So you could save $ that way as well.
Just make sure you shop around and check quality of work. I got my full car done with pretty much all edges tucked for 4k. Only spots that are not tucked are front bumper to quarter panels and rear bumper to rear quarter panels. Only spots that are not wrapped is the upper and lower grill because its impossible to wrap with xpel.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
WILWAXU

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 1LE
For me, the clear bra is for protection. The ceramic coat is for ease of maintenance.

I have SunTek on all the impact surfaces, to include the entire front fender(s). Everything is coated in Ceramic Pro.
WILWAXU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #11
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWAXU View Post
For me, the clear bra is for protection. The ceramic coat is for ease of maintenance.

I have SunTek on all the impact surfaces, to include the entire front fender(s). Everything is coated in Ceramic Pro.
x2

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:13 AM   #12
ABM Camaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro
Can these products be easily removed ? I was at a car show, and I saw it on ZL1 Camaro on half the hood and half the front fender was covered with a protective film, and I didn't like the way the car looked.

When you looked at the car from the side, it looked like someone took a key and scratched the across the hood and down the fender with a key, but it was the film.
It would have looked a lot better covering the whole hood and fender. I'm sure it works great, but took away from the look of the beautiful car to me.
ABM Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Filming half a hood...

The only really good way to film the car is to remove the emblems and heat extractor, cover all panels completely, and tuck all the edges. Then there are no lines to see, worry about collecting dirt, etc
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #14
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM Camaro View Post
Can these products be easily removed ? I was at a car show, and I saw it on ZL1 Camaro on half the hood and half the front fender was covered with a protective film, and I didn't like the way the car looked.

When you looked at the car from the side, it looked like someone took a key and scratched the across the hood and down the fender with a key, but it was the film.
It would have looked a lot better covering the whole hood and fender. I'm sure it works great, but took away from the look of the beautiful car to me.
No , they are a bitch to remove…
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote