Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #15
Twitch
Hook em' Horns

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
i dont care much for satellite radio, and put that black dorsal fin on the roof...i will pass
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #16
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
XM and sirius have already merged FCC gave approval about 2 weeks ago.now the question will be.will the radios from the factory be able to get ala carte programming ?.I like the musc on XM better but i want stern.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
It doesn't matter how HD radio is done, just go compare the difference, because their is a good difference. Listen before giving opinions. HD is better and FREE.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:57 AM   #18
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
XM and sirius have already merged FCC gave approval about 2 weeks ago.now the question will be.will the radios from the factory be able to get ala carte programming ?.I like the musc on XM better but i want stern.

Yea...I really want ACC football that sirius doesnt have..I was told they would have the selection..you would pay a minimal fee for each channel you choose. So as an XM receiver you could get stern..and I could get ACC for my sirius.

As for the argument that HD is better? I dont really understand the basis....its the EXACT same music as far as the music channels are concerned with and no commercials...not to mention the additional news, comedy, sports and such. Maybe its just here...but I have always noticed NEWER music on sirius/xm that premiers 2-3 weeks later on my FM rock station...

and free? I am paying between 80-160 bucks for a basic HD receiver in circuit city. That equal to 1-2 years of satallite with a satallite receiver which can cost as low as 19 bucks.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:30 AM   #19
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
xm radio is included on all gm vehicles so you wont have to pay any extra. the only option is whether or not you want to get an xm radio delete.
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #20
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post

and free? I am paying between 80-160 bucks for a basic HD receiver in circuit city. That equal to 1-2 years of satallite with a satallite receiver which can cost as low as 19 bucks.

Hence the reason I started this thread...to see if getting an HD receiver built in to the new audio system on the Camaro was even an option from the factory. I'm certainly not going to spend $80-$160 on an aftermarket receiver for my Camaro that doesn't integrate well into the dash design.

Here's a list of current manufacturers that support HD Radio:

BMW - Available on: Nearly all 2008+ models
Ford - Available on: Nearly all 2008+ models Note: Dealer installed in new and used vehicles. Not compatible with SYNC.
Hyundai - Available on: Genesis
Lincoln - Available on: Nearly all 2008+ models Note: Dealer installed in new and used vehicles. Not compatible with SYNC.
Mercedes - Available on: R320, ML320 and GL320 (2009 model year)
Mercury - Available on: Nearly all 2008+ models Note: Dealer installed in new and used vehicles. Not compatible with SYNC.
Mini - Available on: Cooper, Cooper S (2008)
Scion - Available on: Select audio systems.
Volvo - Available on: S40 T5, V50 T5, C30, C70, S80, V70, XC70 and XC90 models (2009 model year)
rolnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #21
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
xm radio is included on all gm vehicles so you wont have to pay any extra. the only option is whether or not you want to get an xm radio delete.
That kinda sucks. I'm also one that would rather listen to commercials and get the local talk radio then the overhyped Stern and O&A, etc.

Not to mention the fact that all music is soulless these days, why pay a monthly subscription to listen to 14 teenyboppers "sing" about their boyfriend's hair? Or listen to their boyfriends singing about slitting their wrists because of their girlfriend's song....whatever it's all complete crap these days.

I made the transition to talk radio almost completely by accident and now I listen to nothing else in my 1.5 hours of commute a day. So I'd much rather have my HD radio and no sharkfin on the trunk of my 'vert.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #22
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
That kinda sucks. I'm also one that would rather listen to commercials and get the local talk radio then the overhyped Stern and O&A, etc.

Not to mention the fact that all music is soulless these days, why pay a monthly subscription to listen to 14 teenyboppers "sing" about their boyfriend's hair? Or listen to their boyfriends singing about slitting their wrists because of their girlfriend's song....whatever it's all complete crap these days.

I made the transition to talk radio almost completely by accident and now I listen to nothing else in my 1.5 hours of commute a day. So I'd much rather have my HD radio and no sharkfin on the trunk of my 'vert.
XM Radio has music from the 40's, to today, and everything in between. So even if you don't like todays music you still have plenty of other options.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #23
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
I know there's plenty of other options, and I'm an 80s-90s music geek and would like to be able to get my fill...however the majority of my time is spent listening to talk radio which I just enjoy more these days.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #24
DntWrryBeHappy21
Patiently Waiting...

Drives: whatevers in the driveway atm
Send a message via AIM to DntWrryBeHappy21
i prefer my little ipod shuffle to play instead...cheaper, no commercials, and you can add and remove songs :P

One day....
DntWrryBeHappy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #25
rolnslo
Rolling along...

I've got a Zune for the same thing but sometimes I hear new music on the radio that I haven't bought for my Zune yet.

Just as a backup plan, in case HD Radio isn't part of the standard or premium audio option, I picked up one of these from Fry's this morning, VR3 VRHDUA100 Universal HD Radio™ AM/FM Stereo Receiver. It was $52.50 with a $50 rebate from iBiquity Digital (company that owns the HD Radio technology) and not from Fry's (thank god!). Uses RCA jacks for output, which can be converted down to a standard 1/8" Aux jack connection that I can plug into the AUX jack in the center console in the Camaro.

http://shop4.frys.com/product/5656571
Old 08-26-2008, 06:13 PM   #26
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
I've got a Zune for the same thing but sometimes I hear new music on the radio that I haven't bought for my Zune yet.

Just as a backup plan, in case HD Radio isn't part of the standard or premium audio option, I picked up one of these from Fry's this morning, VR3 VRHDUA100 Universal HD Radio™ AM/FM Stereo Receiver. It was $52.50 with a $50 rebate from iBiquity Digital (company that owns the HD Radio technology) and not from Fry's (thank god!). Uses RCA jacks for output, which can be converted down to a standard 1/8" Aux jack connection that I can plug into the AUX jack in the center console in the Camaro.

http://shop4.frys.com/product/5656571
How does this unit receive HD Radio signals?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #27
rolnslo
Rolling along...

It takes the antenna line that normally goes to your stock radio and that feeds into the HD receiver. From the HD receiver, there is an antenna out that connects to the original antenna in on your stock radio.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #28
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
It takes the antenna line that normally goes to your stock radio and that feeds into the HD receiver. From the HD receiver, there is an antenna out that connects to the original antenna in on your stock radio.
So that means you have to pop your head unit to wire it up?