Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 08-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
black2010ss

Drives: 04GTO. 91T/A GTA. 89LX5.0
GMAC no more leases

I just returned my 2004 gto last night to the dealership for the end of my smartbuy, as I wanted to start saving for my downpayment on the camaro when it comes out. I told the dealer I wanted to get another smartbuy for the camaro, and they told me GMAC is no longer doing leasing as of October 1 2008. No leases no smartbuys, only purchases as long as 72months. I said WTF! how are people supposed to come up with 30k or whatever the camaro is supposed to be? The dealer said they dont know and they agreed it is going to be tough to sell cars now because of that. Not good news. I need to save more now.

Last edited by black2010ss; 08-29-2008 at 09:45 PM.
black2010ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
You get a loan that's how. And leasing is not selling a car unless you pay the ballon payment. If they have to recoup against defaulted leasing it costs operational money so they want to get out of things that are not safe. Traditional bank loans put that on the bank and insurance.

I like to keep my cars a long time. And I think this Camaro is perfect for that kind of car that you keep many years after it's paid off.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
black2010ss

Right

I know you can go to the bank and get a loan. I just was suprised GMAC isnt doing leasing anymore as I know a lot of people on here were expecting to have one stop shopping at the dealer, its easier than going to a bank then dealer, at least for me.

As for me I plan on keeping my car a long time too as I got my 89Lx and 91 GTA new and still drive em. As for the GTO I couldnt fit a baby stroller in the trunk so it had to go. The camaro will be a keeper for me to give to my baby.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #4
camaro1

Drives: 550+RWHP 2010 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by black2010ss View Post
I know you can go to the bank and get a loan. I just was suprised GMAC isnt doing leasing anymore as I know a lot of people on here were expecting to have one stop shopping at the dealer, its easier than going to a bank then dealer, at least for me.

As for me I plan on keeping my car a long time too as I got my 89Lx and 91 GTA new and still drive em. As for the GTO I couldnt fit a baby stroller in the trunk so it had to go. The camaro will be a keeper for me to give to my baby.

you can still have 1 stop shopping at the dealer,, just because they are not leasing anymore does not mean you cant get a loan right at the dealer, the dealers will still have financing available whether it is through gm or local banks, our finance dept checks several places to get the customer the best loan.

i never understood why someone would lease a vehicle anyways,, all those monthly payments and at the end of your lease you have nothing!
415ci stroker, TVS 2300 Magnacharger, cnc heads, cam, yank ss3200 converter, Kooks long tubes, Bwoody true cold air kit, ZL1 Pump, magnaflow 3" cat-back, lowering springs,BMR control arms and tie rod bars, 3.73 gears, diff mounts, RX can, ADM fuel controller
camaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
black2010ss

leasing

I never said you cant get a loan from a dealership, I said they are no longer leasing or doing smartbuys. I wasnt going to lease myself, I was just asking about it for others benefit. I was going to do a smart buy again so I have smallerpayments then refinance the balloon payment. The dealership said they were no longer leasing or doing smartbuys. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
Vash

But you did say "how are people supposed to get 30k". So that's why we said go to the bank. That's good advice. Getting pre approved puts you in control and changes the dynamic of dealing with the dealer.

Smart buy is just another name for a lease. It's not very smart it's just a marketing slogan.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
gss9909

Drives: 1999 camaro ss
Im a finance director in a very large auto group in colorado. Let me tell you i hated leases to begin with and smart buys are just plan stupid. Big differance between smart lease and smart buy. there is no ballon payment on a smart lease but there is on a smart buy. Heck in colorado we are not allowed to do smart buys( colorado does not allow them).
All of the big three are going away from leasing, even big banks like jp morgan chase bank no longer lease. Gmac does still lease but they just plan suck, just like there rates for purchase( way way higher than any other bank or credit union).
The problem with any type of lease is the residual amount. Why would you buy out a lease? The residuals were so highly incentivized that they are way higher that the market value projected. So if you buy it you pay to much and if you don't the leasing company looses thier shorts at auction. But you can still get a loan from many banks out there and the rates all depend on your personal credit term and loan to value.
Sorry about the long post, just my two cents.
gss9909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Vash

Also the vehicles they get back tend to be more beat up and trashed. This makes them sell lower in an already flooded market. It effects brand image. If your driving a leased ride you won't care about spilling coffee, eating, buring the clutch and brakes. Filling coolant with tap water, going a year without oil change etc.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
littlecammi

Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gss9909 View Post
The problem with any type of lease is the residual amount. The leasing company loses their shorts at auction.
This is exactly what I read reported as the reason for the auto manufacturers not leasing any more. They get stuck with lots of overpriced used cars and trucks that nobody wants because the residual amount to purchase the vehicle at the end of the lease is a lot more than the actual market value of the used vehicle.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
black2010ss

I did say how are ""people" supposed to come up with 30k, Me personally, I have no problem getting the money, as I said It was for other peoples benefit to inform them GMAC isnt leasing or doing smart buys. For me at the time a smartbuy was the thing to do as I intended to purchase the goat at the end of the smartbuy but now the camaro is coming out and I want that more. As I titled the name of this thread as "GMAC no more leases" that is what I wanted to convey, not get beat up for my first post.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #11
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
I never said you cant get a loan from a dealership, I said they are no longer leasing or doing smartbuys. I wasnt going to lease myself, I was just asking about it for others benefit. I was going to do a smart buy again so I have smallerpayments then refinance the balloon payment. The dealership said they were no longer leasing or doing smartbuys. Thanks for the info.
WELCOME to the site.

You said: "people on here were expecting to have one stop shopping at the dealer, its easier than going to a bank then dealer, at least for me. "
They said : you can still get financing at the dealer= one stop shopping...

I do not think anyone is tryin to beat you up on your first post, I am not seeing that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
Also the vehicles they get back tend to be more beat up and trashed. This makes them sell lower in an already flooded market. It effects brand image. If your driving a leased ride you won't care about spilling coffee, eating, buring the clutch and brakes. Filling coolant with tap water, going a year without oil change etc.
The people who have leases and smartbuys have to take good care of their vehicles and keep the miles low.... because the dealer WILL make you pay penalties and or charges for damages or poor condition of the vehicle.

The reason GMAC wants out of 'leases' etc: They 'sold' full size trucks and SUVs THAT HAD A TRADITIONALLY HIGH RESALE PRICE..... now the vehicles sold in 2005 are coming back, and the residual value that was calculated at the time of the 'purchase' is no longer accurate, and dealers are stuck with BIG trucks with BIG 'trade-in' residual 'value', and the market has changed leaving the high priced smartbuy returns on the lots or cutting deeply into dealer profits.
If you 'smartbuy own' a 2005 truck and have checked the trade in price... and you happen to want to buy a Camaro??? you would be glad that you had chosen the smartbuy= you are 'guaranteed' a trade in price that you would not have a chance getting with the current market. It will help a few customers, but it will hurt dealers.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
black2010ss

Thanks nice to be here!

As for getting beat up
vash said "Smart buy is just another name for a lease. It's not very smart it's just a marketing slogan" In response to my saying I got a smartbuy, seems to insinuate Im not smart. (not that I am anyway)
and gss9909 said "..and smart buys are just plan stupid." also after my saying I got a smartbuy. Kind of seems like being beat up to me as Im the guy who had the smartbuy. Seems like I had to keep explaining myself when I didnt want to. Maybe I am wrong. Just happy Im getting a camaro next year.
But my point of this post was leases and smartbuys are over from GMAC. So someone going in thinking to get a camaro for less out of pocket expense from the dealer (cheaper monthly payments ie. leasing and smartbuy as opposed to financing the whole kit and kaboodle ) are going to be out of luck. Im sure there are other options out there but GMAC is no longer going to lease or do Smartbuys. As my $310 month smartbuy for the goat was a lot cheaper than what I will pay for a camaro if I finance the whole thing with no money down for 72months. Probably be it the 5 or 6 hundreds.
Anyway, this seems like a nice site, nice people and a lot of good information available. Im happy I found it.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:01 PM   #13
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
As for getting beat up
vash said "Smart buy is just another name for a lease. It's not very smart it's just a marketing slogan" In response to my saying I got a smartbuy, seems to insinuate Im not smart. (not that I am anyway)
and gss9909 said "..and smart buys are just plan stupid." also after my saying I got a smartbuy. Kind of seems like being beat up to me as Im the guy who had the smartbuy. Seems like I had to keep explaining myself when I didnt want to. Maybe I am wrong. Just happy Im getting a camaro next year.
But my point of this post was leases and smartbuys are over from GMAC. So someone going in thinking to get a camaro for less out of pocket expense from the dealer (cheaper monthly payments ie. leasing and smartbuy as opposed to financing the whole kit and kaboodle ) are going to be out of luck. Im sure there are other options out there but GMAC is no longer going to lease or do Smartbuys. As my $310 month smartbuy for the goat was a lot cheaper than what I will pay for a camaro if I finance the whole thing with no money down for 72months. Probably be it the 5 or 6 hundreds.
Anyway, this seems like a nice site, nice people and a lot of good information available. Im happy I found it.
Smartbuys and leases; some people hate 'em... and express it, it is not like YOU invented the idea, so I was taking it like they beat up the idea of leasing.... 'we' usually do not beat up the newest people on the site, until after their 5th post.....

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #14
black2010ss

now do i get beat up

I thought you knew I invented leasing. Now do i get beat up? 6th post