Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #29
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
Cops aren't gonna do a anything over a door ding! Private property the will tell you to exchange insurance cards thats ALL and if she left before you could prove it then it S.O.L.
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #30
Neuf Cruz

Drives: 2011 LS Black on Black 6speed
I would have put or thrown my drink down and jumped in my dinged up Camaro and went after her to show her right then and there. Not after the fact.

neuf cruz
Neuf Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #31
Grimlock
dey see me rollin

Drives: the magic school bus
I got door dinged once while I was in the car. When I got out to confront her, the lady sprung to life, got in her car and left. I got her plate, LOLed and called the police. The officer came and was kind enough to give me all the info needed to file a claim. I gave her insurance a call and filed a claim. I get my car checked by some place, get an estimate and was told to wait for the next step. When they checked her car out, they found no "evidence of a collision" and I was like "No s**t because she hit me with the edge of the door". Her insurance put her at no fault and would not cover the damages. And at the time being under my parents, they were adamant that I not make a claim through their insurance [I guess they were paranoid that it was going to increase rates]. So yeah I took a huge loss that time.

Moral of the story is there is a special place in hell for door dingers.
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #32
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Anyone else think that his is funny cause it is just a door ding?

I mean, I'm sorry it happened but I think you're getting too worked up about it...get some PDR done then some touch up paint. Might be hard though since its in the crease.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #33
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
Anyone else think that his is funny cause it is just a door ding?

I mean, I'm sorry it happened but I think you're getting too worked up about it...get some PDR done then some touch up paint. Might be hard though since its in the crease.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #34
SummitRS

Drives: 2012 2LTRS,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpimp00 View Post
Out of courtesy, Bull crap there was no courtesy on her behalf, when she fled the scene after seeing what she had done. ( I say she becuase she is responsible for the actions of those in her car). Make a police report and contact your insurance company then talk to her next time you see her.
SummitRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #35
NOVAK

Drives: 2015 ZL1
That would piss me off! She dings the door then intentionally drives away!? I'd go Drill Instructor on her until she crawled up into the fetal position and handed over whatever cash she had in her purse. Just my 2 cents...
NOVAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #36
Caspers2SSRS
Caspers2SSRS

Drives: Summit White 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
I'm as positive as the Sun is a Star that this exact subject (California Door Dings) has been covered in full detail several weeks ago............and its more than a civil matter in the land of grapes and oranges, whether or not it occured on private property...............its a matter covered by plenty of state satutes and penalties. Get on the horn and get that police report (It will be needed) and then your insurance co as suggested by others........Good Luck!
Caspers2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #37
bowtie628
Auto body and paint guy

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM10LT View Post
Out of courtesy, I'd confront her first and ask if she intends to make it right. If not, my next call would be the police and then my insurance company.
thats what i would do..
Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #38
Patrol.in.a.Camaro
Lockin it Down!

Drives: 2012 V6 2LT/RS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Do cops anywhere come out for a door ding? That would shock me. If she doesn't agree to pay for the fix, small claims court may be your best option. Judge Judy!
to Judge Judy. That woman
2012 2LT/RS coupe. Inferno Orange Metallic w/ Black Strip. 6 Speed Manual. IOM Leather Interior. Sunroof. 15% Window tint ~ Black Billet Door Sills ~ Orange Billet Racing Pedals ~ IOM Molded Splash Guards ~

~That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness~
Patrol.in.a.Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #39
HashimAzzouz

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM ~ 2009 Traverse LT
In the year 2000, i use to have a brand new Honda Accord Coupe.. Red one.. I was driving slowley on my way to park my car and then the door of the gold crown victoria parkimg next to me was opened by a young lady and scrashed my door badly.. I was turning red & wanted to scream but then i did nothing.. It's the worst that can happen i know what u feel now man.. Just go on and report her..
HashimAzzouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #40
Matic

Drives: 2011 Summit White LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
depending on the person i might ask them to pay, if they say no then i would probably just fix it my self. no need to call the cops over a ding lol. thats life it happens
Mommy and daddy can pay for it
Matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #41
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Be aware..there is a possibility that because this incident took place on private property "hit and run" laws may not apply.

YMMV.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #42
aron77

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I'd file a police report asap so there is a record that you reported this and the sooner the better. I don't know that his would meet the criteria of a hit and run for criminal liability since it wasn't a collision of a moving car but it is pretty close and she did do harm to someone's property and then fled. I'd call your insurance agent and ask him how to proceed. Chances are it is going to be a civil matter taken up in small claims court unless she does the right thing and pays out of pocket or makes an insurance claim. If she denies it and plays dumb then there is a good chance her insurance will not pay leading this to court.

This would be an awesome case for judge judy so if you do track her down, tho she may avoid this establishment for while after this, then call them up and try to get on the show. Judy would tear her to pieces and you could plug camaro5 on the show lol. You have a very good case since you witnessed it yourself along with other ppl but the longer you wait the weaker your case gets so get a police report on file ASAP. Some cops are dicks and don't want to be bothered by this kind of stuff but if they go that route then you need to insist on a report so you can pursue this matter civily, they probably won't do anything but it is a record that will help your case. Really the only thing you have working against you is that you didn't confront her right when it happened but if she intentionally fled before you could make your way out there then you can explain that away pretty easily. I don't know if it would stick or not but you could sue her for the damage to your car plus punitive damages for doing the wrong thing by fleeing. The damage itself would not warrant punative damages but the leaving part just might.

I'm not sure where parental responsibilty would fall on a case like this becuase this is not an extreme event, this can also depend on the jurisdiciton, however even beyond parental responsbility you could argue that but for the fact that she parked too close to your car, and illegally in a handicap spot, this would have never happened no matter whose door swung open.

So your job is to get at least two estimates to fix it and then if you sue add like 1000 for punative damages for her bad behavior. The door ding itself was an accident but her fleeing knowing she had done damage is an intentional tort and could be worth punative damages.
aron77 is offline   Reply With Quote