Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
midlifemike

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Haze on inside of headlight covers

When my headlights are on, I can see a light haze/fog on the inside of the headlight cover. With the lights off you can't really see it, but with the headlights on you can see the pattern of the HID beam on the inside of the cover, as if there's a light haze on them. Are they easy to get to or off?
midlifemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
You probably have moisture inside of the headlight housing. Define easy to get to? Getting that moisture out involves taking off the front bumper, putting your headlights in the oven for 15 minutes at 235 degrees, and then prying open the housing. I would just take it to your dealer and have them replace the entire headlight under warranty.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
moisture is pretty ovious all the time, it was probably always there, or just dust, either way, if it bothers you take it to dealer, DONT open up headlights yourself, some have high voltage capacitors, and will shock you months after power disconnected
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Mine do the same thing. Ironically, I was just noticing it tonight, and thinking to myself that theres probably nothing I can do about it. Not worth swaping them out to me, dont want to run the risk of my dealer messing up anything else in the process.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #5
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSFury View Post
Mine do the same thing. Ironically, I was just noticing it tonight, and thinking to myself that theres probably nothing I can do about it. Not worth swaping them out to me, dont want to run the risk of my dealer messing up anything else in the process.
i had a small oil leak, and i decided to fix it myself for that reason
Parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
moisture is pretty ovious all the time, it was probably always there, or just dust, either way, if it bothers you take it to dealer, DONT open up headlights yourself, some have high voltage capacitors, and will shock you months after power disconnected
There is no voltage capacitor. I didn't even unplug that battery when I did mine. But, the reason you shouldn't open them is because once you open them that voids the warranty on your headlights. What'll most likely happen is this scenario: take car to dealer, dealer sees the haze and calls a GM rep, rep says its covered under warranty, dealer orders and then installs a new headlight.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
There is no voltage capacitor. I didn't even unplug that battery when I did mine. But, the reason you shouldn't open them is because once you open them that voids the warranty on your headlights. What'll most likely happen is this scenario: take car to dealer, dealer sees the haze and calls a GM rep, rep says its covered under warranty, dealer orders and then installs a new headlight.
Absolutely the best advice especially if it's under warranty!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
My Acura with oem hid's has the same film/haze on the inside of the headlights. Maybe the hid's burn so hot it leaves that haze.
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #9
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamoon View Post
My Acura with oem hid's has the same film/haze on the inside of the headlights. Maybe the hid's burn so hot it leaves that haze.
That is correct, Some styles or brands of HID including some OEM manufacturers etch the front lens due to high heat concentrations!
I have had HID's on over 9 cars and more than half of them have had the same etching from the HID lights!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
midlifemike

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Ok, but only after 600 miles of mostly daytime driving?

Thanks for the feedback all, will have it in next week.
midlifemike is offline   Reply With Quote