Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-08-2008, 09:42 AM   #155
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2012 1SS
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...0/1023/CARNEWS

quote from article: "But Lutz also said the 260-hp turbocharged engine gave little benefit compared with the 300-hp 3.6-liter V6 that is the new Camaro's base powerplant."

Yes, yes, in the article it DOES say a t-4 is on Lutz's wishlist BUT, the car is too heavy for that t-4 to do anything in terms of fuel economy + performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:00 AM   #156
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Oh looky, no Turbo-4 for you!!

quote from article: "But Lutz also said the 260-hp turbocharged engine gave little benefit compared with the 300-hp 3.6-liter V6 that is the new Camaro's base powerplant."

Yes, yes, in the article it DOES say a t-4 is on Lutz's wishlist BUT, the car is too heavy for that t-4 to do anything in terms of fuel economy + performance. (who wants a slow z28 anyway )
thanks. I knew I had read a quote some where before. . .
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:06 AM   #157
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Oh looky, no Turbo-4 for you!!

Yes, yes, in the article it DOES say a t-4 is on Lutz's wishlist BUT, the car is too heavy for that t-4 to do anything in terms of fuel economy + performance. (who wants a slow z28 anyway )
That's the same set-up that's in the Cobalt SS so I have no idea why GM would want to offer it in a Camaro that is 1,000 pounds heavier. It wouldn't make any sense to offer both products.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:09 AM   #158
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
From the same article:
Quote:
"A fuel-sipping Camaro is still on GM's wish list, though. Lutz pointed to a new 216-hp, 2.0-liter Ecotec Turbo four-cylinder engine that debuts in the new Vauxhall/Opel Insignia as a possibility for the Camaro."
If they used this engine for the car, it would still be a peppy ride (see: below), and would slot very nicely as an entry-level engine for kiddies wanting to get into a Camaro for cheap. Thus bumping the V6 up to more of a mid-level model (which I personaly think it's worthy of). The Turbo-4 engine could probably offer 29-30mpg hwy which seems to be the magic number lately...

I think we should lookout for more info on this...it's very important that GM puts out a fuel-sipping Camaro; and I think they know that.

*peppy ride: this engine in the Camaro would return a pwer/weight ratio equivilant to the cobalt LS...which is a quick little ride based on my experience.

EDIT: I also moved some posts from the Z28 thread to here...
Old 08-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #159
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
From the same article:

If they used this engine for the car, it would still be a peppy ride (see: below), and would slot very nicely as an entry-level engine for kiddies wanting to get into a Camaro for cheap. Thus bumping the V6 up to more of a mid-level model (which I personaly think it's worthy of). The Turbo-4 engine could probably offer 29-30mpg hwy which seems to be the magic number lately...

I think we should lookout for more info on this...it's very important that GM puts out a fuel-sipping Camaro; and I think they know that.

*peppy ride: this engine in the Camaro would return a pwer/weight ratio equivilant to the cobalt LS...which is a quick little ride based on my experience.

EDIT: I also moved some posts from the Z28 thread to here...
Yea but from a price point, it wouldn't work. A 2008 Cobalt SS is about $23,000. If that's where the base model V6 is going to come in, they would have to sell the 4 banger turbo for even less if it's the entry level Camaro. There's no way a Turbo 4 Camaro would cost less than a Cobalt, so I just don't see it happening.
Chevyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #160
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
A turbo-4 Cruze should start well below an SS Cobalt: as in between the Cobalt and the base Malibu. And I think this Camaro would start a little higher than the Cruze....

The way I see it; turbocharged engines aren't just for performance anymore. This 216hp Ecotec that the article mentioned sounds like it was engineered for fuel economy. I'm not saying it's still not a comparitively expensive engine; but what you're saying sounds along the lines of "There's no way we can get a sub-25k V6 Camaro, because the CTS DI is 36k.".......
Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 PM   #161
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
("keeps reading")
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote