Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
djxrated81

Drives: 2011 camaro SS/RS
First time Racing in Ten Years!!!!

Today i will be taking my car to the track to drag for the first time in ten years and also a first time with stick so im a little nervous because sometimes i miss going from 2nd to 3rdbut i have been practicing and so far so good Any tips from the peanut gallery and please be gentle
2011 2SS/RS Airaid cai, ARH HF cats X pipe, SLP LM1, 160stat,RX Catch can, Tuned @ Tune Time Performance, side marker black outs, decepticon bowtie emblems, stealth turn sig. bulbs,Hyper White DTRL Painted GFX, Havoc Spoiler
[IMG][SIGPIC]
djxrated81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Man my advice is enjoy it when you stomp on the pedal legally, drive it like you stole it!!
Have A Blast!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
if you have the stock PZeros, drop your psi in the back tires a little and do a short burnout. From what I've seen, they like a little heat to get sticky on the drag strip. There's a great thread on drag tips, but I can't search for the link right now...
Just practice practice practice on the strip and have fun!
I raced my v6 for the first time last week and got 10 passes in, slowly improving my time.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
If you don't have trailing arms then plan on getting some wheel hop. Don't worry about getting the fastest time or best launch. Worry about getting done the track a few times first.

-Lower the rear tire pressure down to about 23 psi.
-Leave on the last yellow light.
-Try to bring up the RPM to around 2500 to launch.
-Don't pop the clutch.....just come out fast like you were leaving a stop light quickly.
-If it starts wheel hopping then let out. otherwise you take a chance on breaking something.

Have fun. Let us know how it goes.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
cb4dude

Drives: 2010 LT1 M6
Haha. Just hold onto that shifter, and watch the rpm's! Shift fast, shift hard, and just enjoy it man!!
Doug Thorley Shorty Headers - K&N CAI - VMax Black Iceolator - VMax Ported Throttle Body - Hotchkis Lowering Springs - BMR Toe Rods & Trailing Arms - American Racing Rims - Polished stainless accents - Chrome Grill - 1LT Badging
cb4dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
SGT Stretch

Drives: 2016 Hyper Metallic Blue SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
If you don't have trailing arms then plan on getting some wheel hop. Don't worry about getting the fastest time or best launch. Worry about getting done the track a few times first.

-Lower the rear tire pressure down to about 23 psi.
-Leave on the last yellow light.
-Try to bring up the RPM to around 2500 to launch.
-Don't pop the clutch.....just come out fast like you were leaving a stop light quickly.
-If it starts wheel hopping then let out. otherwise you take a chance on breaking something.

Have fun. Let us know how it goes.
Nail on the head. I went last Friday for the first time and did all these things. Ran real well. Like he said if you get hop let out till it stops then get back in it.

Hold the shifter like a pistol with your thumb not around it but on top. That helped me with my miss shifting.

And as mentioned before just a quick spin of the tires no need to smoke em. And avoid the water box at all costs lol.

Also feel free to hot lap if you want. Without FI and nitrous you Wont get very hot. my temps never broke 200 and I was hot lapping in 87 degree heat here in Texas at night lol
Old 06-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
djxrated81

Good tips peoples thanks for the info i will try to do the best i can do and also make it down the track ill post times when i get home
2011 2SS/RS Airaid cai, ARH HF cats X pipe, SLP LM1, 160stat,RX Catch can, Tuned @ Tune Time Performance, side marker black outs, decepticon bowtie emblems, stealth turn sig. bulbs,Hyper White DTRL Painted GFX, Havoc Spoiler
[IMG][SIGPIC]
Old 06-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
SGT Stretch

Don't forget to turn the AC off. Lol
Old 06-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Gigachip
Runs on Starbucks

Drives: 2012 SVT Raptor
Send a message via AIM to Gigachip
Have fun
Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
djxrated81

I SUCK!!!! so all the tips went out the window once i got to the line i forgot everything, i popped the clutch and spun like crazy and wheel hopped too:( then on my last pass after i finished i down shifted pretty high and smelt a nasty smell and had no clue what it was until someone said clutch, should i be worried??? it kinda went away but when i came home and pulled in the driveway which is on an incline the smell came back im bugging out
[IMG][SIGPIC]
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
djxrated81

P.S. i never did any burn outs since i dont know how so thats probably why i spun so much and my RT time sucked too but my last run was decent
[IMG][SIGPIC]
Old 06-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #12
SGT Stretch

What was your fastest time? I wouldn't worry about the clutch too much you just burnt it a little. Burners are pretty easy I bring my rpms to about 3 and let out the clutch very quickly
Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
djxrated81

1ST run : RT,515 and 1/4, 13.4
2nd run, missed thirdrt:814 1/4 14.5
3rd run rt 214 1/4 13.8
all starts had wheel spinning and hopping. i was shooting for 12.9 with what i have done to the car, and didnt even come close, so im very upset with that and worried about the clutch. someone please say something positive to me so i can go to sleep a happy boy
[IMG][SIGPIC]
Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #14
djxrated81

i did do the pistol hold for the last run and that actually helped a lot, so thanks for that tip, and also i should of asked before i raced but at what rpm should i shift at i was doing 6500 almost to seven i tried not to red line it i had to use the HUD, still new to this stick thing even though i've been driving one since 2005
[IMG][SIGPIC]