Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
My First Drive in a 2SS, what you all should know!

Well, I finally got to test drive an 2SS. It was an Automatic, 2SS. No, it was not mine, i ordered a 6 speed manual....STILL WAITING, my order gets accepted next (Late May)

Maybe some that got their cars will either agree or disagree with my assessment of the car. First, It is very different from older model Camaro's, especially the 60's and 70's models as far as the "Muscle Car" feel is concerned. The younger generation may have a different expectation going in than I did. My brother still owns a 71, in which he has a 350 with larger pistons, race heads and cams, etc. It snaps you back into the seat and the sound from the engine and the exhaust is in your face......Awesome.

So the seats are really comfortable and you really count on your mirror's when changing lanes and backing up because rearward visibility is a lot like my convertible SKY with the top up......poor, but who cares it is a sports car not a mini van. All the controls are well placed except why put the radio controls on the right side of the steering wheel. If my right hand is free from the stick, I might as well go right to the radio face. This is the same on my SKY and different than all foreign cars........GM Change this already........stupid.

DRIVING: It was not my car so I had to take it a bit easy. I have heard that the exhaust is nice when you get on it. Well maybe from outside of the car, but from the inside I heard the engine more than the exhaust, and even that was pretty quit. The car is VERY Solid and well insulated. It is hard to tell how fast you are going, kind of like the G37 I rented last week while I was on vacation.
The car is fast, but it does it in a way that it is hard for the driver to tell how fast your going until you look down at the speedo. That sounds great, unless like me, you like to feel like you are going fast. In my brothers classic Camaro you felt fast at 50MPH. Well 60 feels like 30 in this car.....is that good or bad??? I would think you will have to get this baby up to dangerous speeds to feel like you are "driving fast" which local law enforcement may have issue with. I can see getting in Much trouble in this car.

EXHAUST: My Sky with the Magnaflow sounds better than this car stock, NO BS. Anyone who likes aftermarket exhaust, do not think for a second you will be satisfied with the stock system......it is VERY QUIT with NO in cabin Rumble. I have heard some say, you hear it when you get on it, all I hear is the engine fire up, not the exhaust. I personally will be looking at the Magnaflow system as soon as I get the car....no doubt!

Auto Transmission: I know this is a little more subjective, and I am sure some will argue with me, but man if you are on the fence about an auto or manual, mark this thread....you will be sorry with the auto. The on wheel shifters felt too much like playing with cruise control to me, very disconnected. I prefer the Tiptronic, like I had in my VW, it may be clutchless but at least it resembled the feeling of a manual. Changing gears on the steering wheel will NOT satisfy the occasional urge to drive like a manual for most of us 35+ guys that are used to a stick.

Overall: It felt more like a very well built sedan than a "MUSCLE CAR" to me, but maybe my expectations were too far off toward the muscle cars of yesterday. I am hoping that between the 6 speed manual, LS3, and aftermarket exhaust that will help me achieve the more ballsy feel I am looking for, if not, it is off to a supercharger, heads, cams, and a new tune.
Very Solid well built beauty of a car, but I need more obnoxious sound and feel. Is there such thing as a "muscle car" that is too refined, I think this car proves yes it an be. I still cannot wait to get mine, Exhaust first......time to get raw. Cannot have my V8 sounding wimpier than my 4 cylinder turbo!

Hope this helps some of you, but I have not really heard this take yet, and the salesman agreed with me. So I figured I should post my first impressions. Not meaning to sound too negative, just keeping it real, I am still a fan and the numbers prove performance, I was hoping it would feel more "Old School".
Old 05-02-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Nice writeup. I believe the manual car has a louder exhaust, I think most of the reviews talking about the exhaust were for the manual car. The auto (SS) car has a more subdued exhaust so you don't hear the supposedly annoying sound of the AFM activating/deactivating.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Nice writeup. I believe the manual car has a louder exhaust, I think most of the reviews talking about the exhaust were for the manual car. The auto (SS) car has a more subdued exhaust so you don't hear the supposedly annoying sound of the AFM activating/deactivating.
Thanks, I will have to see when I get it, but I am still leaning toward more obnoxious!
Old 05-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
cyberbro

Drives: Not a Camaro at this time
Well it sounds to me like good news in the smooth handling department and if you really want to fly you will need to S/C!

That is kind of what I was expecting from reading all the other reviews.
2000 9/22/15 (Order changed)

2016 2SS With Auto, NPP, MRC, Nav, Split 5 Spoke Bright Aluminum.
cyberbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
BL202
Seek and Destroy ricers

Drives: 2010 1ss, A6, IBM, RS pkg
I am not old enough to know of the glory days of muscle cars but I have owned a couple of late 60-early 70 model chevelle SS's. I have always loved the loud rumble that shakes the car next to you. thanks for the write up. Think I will start researching some aftermarket exhausts.
3300, Order scheduled for production???
3400, Order broadcast 06/01/09
3800, Order produced 06/10/09 Vin: 2g1fj1ej1a9116578
4200, Shipped ???
4300, Intermediate Delivery ???
4B00, Bayed ???
5000, Delivered to the dealer 06/22/09
6000, Delivered to the customer 06/23/09
BL202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
2010 SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM Black Polished
From what I heard it was an engineering effort to tune the pipes for the l99 auto. The difference in sound when 8 cylinders running vs. 4 cylinders made for a balancing act in the exaust. The Manual with the ls3 does have a little more beef to it but some nice magnaflow mufflers would be a well spent 350.00. Or invest in a good Cat Back system if you have an extra grand laying around. I will prob go with new more open mufflers and enjoy the semi-sleeper effect. I have a 454 with wide open pipes if I need the noise. I do like to set off car alarms when driving by but I can stand to tone it down a little.
418 Stroker, 621RWHP 648 lbs TORQUE Built by Laramie GM Auto Center Tuned by Nick at Mac Autosport. EForce SC, 2 3/4pulley,LPE dual fuel pump, JRE Twin fuel rail upgrade, posi clutch kit, RX oilcatch can and breather, Callies Compstar crankshaft and rods, Racing bearings, CP -13.8 race pistons, steel rings, Comp Cams X6 blower cam, Springs, HD timing chain and tensioner, Doug Thorley Tri Y LT headers, 89.7lb injectors, RPM rollbar, DSS1400 shafts, Simpson 5 pt harness, BMR Toe rods and trailing arms, led lights, RPM input and output shafts
2010 SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS View Post
From what I heard it was an engineering effort to tune the pipes for the l99 auto. The difference in sound when 8 cylinders running vs. 4 cylinders made for a balancing act in the exaust. The Manual with the ls3 does have a little more beef to it but some nice magnaflow mufflers would be a well spent 350.00. Or invest in a good Cat Back system if you have an extra grand laying around. I will prob go with new more open mufflers and enjoy the semi-sleeper effect. I have a 454 with wide open pipes if I need the noise. I do like to set off car alarms when driving by but I can stand to tone it down a little.
I will have to see how the LS3 sounds, but the L99 is SUPER QUIET, more like a beefy sedan. It is amazing how a muscle car can handle so well, but you do not feel the speed.......pretty scary actually. I can see myself in traffic court now, but judge I swear it felt like 55....
Old 05-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #8
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL202 View Post
I am not old enough to know of the glory days of muscle cars but I have owned a couple of late 60-early 70 model chevelle SS's. I have always loved the loud rumble that shakes the car next to you. thanks for the write up. Think I will start researching some aftermarket exhausts.
Look into the Magnaflow, I know they have 4 different levels of exhaust designed for the Camaro and they make my 4 cylinder Turbo sound like and deep throaty eight.....it is amazing how many people think my SKY has eight cylinders.

Last edited by Xmicro_SS; 05-02-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Xmicro_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #9
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
any new thoughts on the interior?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
any new thoughts on the interior?

Yes, the interior is very nice, especially for cars IN THIS CLASS!

The door unlock is in the center of the dash right under the stereo, which I will have to get used to...but I already have idea's of Orange and Black Carbon Fibre Accents to tie in with the Orange/Black interior.......That will upgrade the look to be less plain.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
I'm sure they made the auto quieter because most of the people buyin autos arent really concerned about the performance/sound of the V8. Same thing with the vette. They just wanna say they have a vette.
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #12
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2LowChevy View Post
I'm sure they made the auto quieter because most of the people buyin autos arent really concerned about the performance/sound of the V8. Same thing with the vette. They just wanna say they have a vette.
I hope you guys are right, it will save me a few bucks, but either way I will achieve the sound I want. I guess time will tell, hoping to get my car by July, I will update the thread then.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #13
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post

Yes, the interior is very nice, especially for cars IN THIS CLASS!

The door unlock is in the center of the dash right under the stereo, which I will have to get used to...but I already have idea's of Orange and Black Carbon Fibre Accents to tie in with the Orange/Black interior.......That will upgrade the look to be less plain.
What exactly do you mean by cars in its class...... Yep I stayed out of that thread
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnomac77 View Post
What exactly do you mean by cars in its class...... Yep I stayed out of that thread
Crazy...I just like the damn interior.......not a problem for me. I think the concerns I have stated above are concerns more people should be aware of. The stuff mentioned in the other thread is stuff you can see in pictures. The interior looks better in person than in pictures, so if you like the pics you will love the real thing, just my 2 cents. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.......... unfortunately!