Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
billyp93

Drives: 2011 1lt rs camaro sim
straight pipe

hey guys not sure if this is in the right section but i was wondering if anyone on here has done a muffler delete on their v6 camaro. I was wondering of to those of you that do. Do you guys take a power loss? I have been looking around and some people say you lose it and some people just think is in your mind. I've been looking to make my car sound louder for awhile but do not have the money for an exhaust. I went to an exhaust shop by my house and they said they can cut the straight pipe for my car for 75 dollars. But i wanted to know if anyone felt a loss in power and if you have do you think an cai could make up the loss?

thanks for the help in advance
Old 07-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Should run the same, just sound like crap. The mufflers are mostly for sound. Most of the back pressure tuning is up closer to the engine with the cats, crossover pipe ...

For a muffler to affect tq, it would have to be pretty restrictive. Which I don't believe any of the Camaro mufflers are. It's a pretty free flowing dual exhaust set up. It's not like a 500 ci Caddy choked down to a single muffler and tiny tailpipe.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
billyp93

Drives: 2011 1lt rs camaro sim
thanks for the help man
Old 07-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
TravisCamaroRS

Drives: 2011 Red Camaro RS V6
I just did it today!

I just straight piped my camaro 2011 v6 today it is awesome maybe a little loss of torque but increased horsepower definitely!!! I plan on puting a CAI next, trust me if u want ur camaro to sound like a V8/farrari do it. Vs paying 1 G for an exhaust. Keep the cats tho
TravisCamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 AM   #5
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
That bitch is gonna be LOUD. I have 1 7/8 longtubes/3" exhaust on my 2SS, and I can still hear my buddy's LLT when we cruise. It sounds mean, but a bit too loud, IMO. Even a tad much for my friend.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
jnikkila

Drives: LS/LLT
nothing short of an engine swap is going to make your v6 sound like a v8. I just deleted my mufflers a couple weeks ago and I am currently shopping exhausts. Sounds like the coolest civic on the road...
jnikkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Just did mine as well. Mine's a 12 but pretty much the same thing.

It is LOUD. Almost too loud for my 25 mile drive back and forth to work. Part of me thinks it sounds like a tuner car and the other part hates the silent stock mufflers and loves it. I'm running downpipes out the back right now so I don't even have tips and the sound could be easily unbearable for some.

I wish I had a small muffler to kill some of the drone and I'd be happy. Oh and you lose about 65lbs off your rear tires.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
ThatGuy25

Drives: 2011 V6 Camaro Ls
Loud doesn't always mean best, ive got jba shorties, K&N CAI, and MRT v2. Let me assure you it is an AMAZING set up.
ThatGuy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
sbarnet2

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS
For what it's worth. This is mine with 4 inch tips http://youtu.be/9xcrRwXziGU
sbarnet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfarley View Post
Just did mine as well. Mine's a 12 but pretty much the same thing.

It is LOUD. Almost too loud for my 25 mile drive back and forth to work. Part of me thinks it sounds like a tuner car and the other part hates the silent stock mufflers and loves it. I'm running downpipes out the back right now so I don't even have tips and the sound could be easily unbearable for some.

I wish I had a small muffler to kill some of the drone and I'd be happy. Oh and you lose about 65lbs off your rear tires.
Instead of resonators just install some jpipes and it will kill the rasp but the car will still be loud. You can build them or buy them from Solo. I have them with a resonated x pipe. IMHO the best sounding V6.