Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #29
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
lol,lol,lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecamaroboy View Post
How many threads is this guy going to create about the "Z28" that was never mentioned officially once? Talk about ridiculous. It's like watching the stages of grief after a death. Anger, Reckoning, Bargaining, Acceptance. He's on bargaining now. Trying to convince himself that there is another way to build his fantasy car. LOL HAHAAHHA

Dude, for your own sanity, here's your answer. Buy a damn SS when it comes out and shut up Convince yourself that you don't need to have more than 425 horses. Or if you do, bolt on a damn supercharger.

Dude that was funny as hell the first part. "It's like watching the stages of grief after a death. Anger, Reckoning, Bargaining, Acceptance. He's on bargaining now". I busted a gut over that one.

Love it. Dude please let me use that as a futer quote.
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:28 AM   #30
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
You know what? I'm done.

I see no purpose in beating a dead horse. I'm just getting no where...and am forcing people to read the same old posts over and over again.

No disrespect to you Jeff. None at all. Just tired.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #31
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR
SSiCk MeMbEr!!!

Drives: HeAviLy MoDDeD 2010 SS CaMaRo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
You know what? I'm done.

I see no purpose in beating a dead horse. I'm just getting no where...and am forcing people to read the same old posts over and over again.

I agree wit Tag Fam! Just give it up Jeff
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 AM   #32
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
You know what? I'm done.

Mybe we oughta send some of these to the rendering plant for conversion into dog food?????? Fertilizer??????

Or some similar use for this kind of stuff. (and I use the term stuff as an analogy for what I am really thinking!)
Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #33
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
It all hinges on future SS Sales. If you look at Challenger V8's, other than excited pre order folks they are sitting on the lots right now. If that happens to SS forget it. If SS does sell strong, then maybe they might have some money to spend on Z28.
Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of the Challengers on the roads, but I'm seeing a couple Challenger's also sitting at the lots at every Dodge dealer that I drive by. However what Dodge dealers did with the Challenger, Chevy dealers will do with the ZR1, and Nissan dealers are doing to the GT-R, is they are marking up the price for these cars big time. I walked in a Dodge dealer just to look at the Challenger SRT-8, early this summer and guess how much they were asking for it? 70k I'm not joking either. The dealer mark-up is horrible and chances are it's probably going to happen to the Camaro SS too when it first comes out... NOTE: Only 2000 (08) Challengers were produced so it was also in created first year in limited quantities. Hopefully GM corporate can pressure the Chevy dealers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
True for 2010....but who knows what might become available in 2011 or 2012 model years.
Everyone can speculate all they want on here. The only fact that we know is that GM said they aren't producing a 600hp Camaro, and that the Z28 program is indefinitely on hold.

Whether that means the Z28 will come out in like 2011, or 2012 who knows... All we can do is pray it does come out.

? to consider too is how much do you think the Z28 will cost? Probably 40-55k...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
2012 45th ann LS9 Z28 limited production.
You never know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZJEFF View Post
When you sell your Cobalt and step up to the plate and buy a Camaro then come and talk to me.
lol Hey! I drive a Cobalt!
I do drive a Cobalt SS, but I'm far from a 19yr old and am planning on getting the Camaro next anyways...
Old 09-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #34
HOTCIVIC

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
By now everyone on this forum has the information from GM that they will not be manufacturing a 2010 Z/28 Camaro. "FACT" Many forum members are still holding out for the almighty Super Charged Z/28.
True. There are still people holding out for the S/C Z28. Although I think your statement is more of an assertion than a fact.

Quote:
"I was one of these people" The "FACT" is it is not going to come out with a blower.
That is not a fact. Actually it's a statement made by someone with no clue.

Quote:
The Z/28 in 1969 was built to compete in Trans Am racing.
Ok.

Quote:
"FACT" The best shot of getting a Z/28 back is to trace it to it's roots.
This is an opinion. You need to learn how to differentiate fact and opinion. You seem to have a hard time grasping the meaning of the two.

Quote:
The LS3 power plant is a good motor so how do you make power out of a motor/platform that is good to start with? REDUCE WEIGHT! Build a 2011 Camaro Z/28 with the thoughts of racing, make the car light as can be. My thoughts are to have a 1LE type package but with over the counter parts through GM avalible such as factory header, exhaust, special ground cams, etc... This car would be stripped of comfort features like leather,power windows,air conditioning etc... Have the car come in at around 3,000 to 3,200 LBS. With bolt on parts as I described above this would indeed be the car to own and it would be cheeaper than a super charged Z/28. This car would be faster and lighter than a super charged car hands down! The Shelby is a pig! Check out the power to weight ratio. Look at the new Challenger's power to weight ratio. Pig! My friends the Z/28 can be built cheaper and lighter! Let start to think forward instead of backwards! Jeff
This is all fine and dandy if you want a race-only Z28 that is not street legal. GM can make a few of them like the drag-pack Challenger, but they won't be street legal, you won't see them driving around, and you most likely won't own one. It won't compete with the GT500 because the GT500 (although a pig) has a full interior, sound system, etc... Going by what Fbodfather has said, to pass crash test safety standards, if GM really tried they might be able to get the Z28 in at 3700 pounds but that will be tough. Yes the LS3 is a great motor and with some massaging they could probably get it to 480 HP N/A and @ 3700 lbs it would be close to the GT500 in terms of power to weight. However the GT500 has the mod potential that a N/A Camaro can't really compete with.

Personally, I don't really care if they make a Z28. The SS was always king in my book anyway and I would have no problem buying a loaded SS and modding it to my own satisfaction.
HOTCIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #35
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
i dont understand why couldnt they put a the z06s engine in the camaro? or is this been discussed alredy?

no flaming please
Old 09-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #36
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
The LS7 has pretty much been confirmed to be discontinued soon, along with the LS2. There was some speculation elsewhere that there was another version of a supercharged 6.2, called the LS8, that was thought to be the replacement for the LS7, but there has been no confirmation In addition, 'Father himself has said using the LS7 would put an extraordinary price on Camaro, so it's definately out.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #37
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
The problem I always see with the Z/28 issue is that everyone either wants one of two things...

A. forced induction engine.
B. reduced weight.

The reasons against EITHER of these is so obvious its hard for me not to shake my head ...

With forced induction you start to kill gas mileage... so this is going to be a cafe negative meaning that they will want to limit the total # of produced units.. aka a marked up specialty vehicle. So all those waiting will either have to wait longer (due to lines and limited production) OR they will be paying a LARGE premium.

With reduced weight... people forget that this camaro was built on a SEDAN chasis meaning that a good portion of the weight is in the chassis, NOT in things like electronics, accessories etc.. The most absolute most the camaro could lose would be about 500lbs. BUT to achieve this you will be losing basically everything but the engine and required equipment (front airbags, turn signals, wipers, third brake light). What this means is you wont get a back seat, or sound dampening, or carpet, or a dash, or power anything, no sound, no radio, no hvac.... and now how many do you think when they charge upwards of 40-50k(yes changes in the manufacturing pocess cost this much!) for a stripped out hull? People will look at it and say.. nope i can have all that back for the same price for a GT500 with less of the wait time.

Honestly if 400HP+ HP isn't enough for you then pretty much ANY production car under 40k isn't for you. If you want to spend more than that start looking into the right market because the camaro isn't it.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #38
The Great KJ
The Great KJ

Drives: 09 Challenger R/T & 05 Caravan
Send a message via Yahoo to The Great KJ
I'm going looking for the aftermarket place that can build me this
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #39
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
The problem I always see with the Z/28 issue is that everyone either wants one of two things...

A. forced induction engine.
B. reduced weight.

The reasons against EITHER of these is so obvious its hard for me not to shake my head ...
I wonder though, Diarmadhi...if you nailed the reasons we're talking about this....but kept them separate. When the Z28 comes out...chances are it'll cost more than an SS. Probably, like you said, in the range of ~$40,000-$50,000. As far as I can tell -- people generally accept this. So...the underlying argument at this point is what to do with that extra $10-$20 grand?

Should they take some mass out (maybe a little less than the V6), bump the V8 a few ponies, and severely beat down the GT500 on the track?

Or should they strap on a blower, reinforce the drive-train, and beat down the GT500 on the drag strip?

Both of these routes would stay comfortable in the sense that you still have HVAC, and radio, etc...but they differ in their approach to performance and conformity to CAFE, imo.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #40
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyme3 View Post
Could def see it happening. But who in their right mind is going to wait yet another 4 years??
who in their right mind would pay the price dealers would want for that lol.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #41
13F20

Drives: Soon to be 2010 Camaro SS
If GM is looking to reduce weight on the vehicle. Perhaps they could go in this direction for frame metal use.
1. Aircraft aluminum alloy
2. Titanium carbon w/ compressed Aluminum alloy.
3. 4142 steel “chromoly”
13F20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #42
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13F20 View Post
If GM is looking to reduce weight on the vehicle. Perhaps they could go in this direction for frame metal use.
1. Aircraft aluminum alloy
2. Titanium carbon w/ compressed Aluminum alloy.
3. 4142 steel “chromoly”
prob. too expensive.
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote