Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #29
nalinc23

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS 6MT
My cousin goes to a military prep school no NoVA and he said kids there drive 370 Z's, Porsche Carreras, brand new lifted Silverados, Mercedes SUV's, etc. Ridiculous!!

But yeah you'll love the Camaro, let us know when you get it!

nalinc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #30
Deemos

Drives: 2010 CGM M6 LS
Well I just got mine delivered to me this past Friday with 3 miles on it. 648 miles later my LS is awesome! That 304(312)HP is a much bigger upgrade than my old 97 Miata (yeah I had one, it's now my sisters.) The difference between 120HP and that 304HP is almost black and white. Since this was also my first actual BRAND NEW car, I was a little scared at first driving it for the first couple days. Let me tell you, even with traction control on you can still burn out. Already done it a few times by accident getting used to the clutch in this baby.

Since it's not just like my old car's mechanical linkage and cable assembly, the feel is way different. Almost effortless in pushing the clutch pedal but doesn't quite have the feedback in the pedal like my old car's pedal. Also doesn't have that annoying limiter on down shifting into first like my old car did. This car you can down shift into first at around 40MPH, my Miata you couldn't shift till around 5MPH. Used to annoy me to no end. Strangely enough my new V6 Camaro is much more fuel efficient than my Miata is. During 1997 the highest average speed limit was around 55MPH or so. Now on the way to AZ it averages 75MPH and forces me to drive my miata at 75-80MPH at around 5kRPM. The camaro did it at just over 2kRPM which makes it much more efficient over the long haul highway trips. Although it's nowhere near as good in the city as my old car was.

For a 16 year old the V6 is more than enough and I believe you'll be more than happy with it. It's a sexy car and I have gotten so many compliments at so many different places during my recent road trip. You better treasure those parents of yours. They obviously think the world about you and you seem to have your head on straight. Just keep it within the speed limit and keep your nose clean.
Deemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #31
CamaroSoldier

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
I send y'all pics. Inside and out
CamaroSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #32
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I'm sorry, and I really hate being the guy to give the IMO speech but it needs to be done. First off, congratulations of getting a new/slightly used camaro (I'm assuming the mustang is something like a backup choice). I'm 20 and still a kid, but I worked my butt off all year and every summer and saved and when I had enough I got myself a very nice and very fast car, which I love and respect. When I was 16 I was an idiot and I'm pretty sure most guys here will agree that 16 year old boys do stupid sh!t occasionally. I rolled my parents SUV and woke up in a hospital about a week later. From experience, and trust me here. You have to respect the car. Kid my senior year wrapped his 350 around a telephone pole. Literally wrapped the car around, you don't walk away from a crash like that. Losing a friend like that isn't something you can brush off easily.

Again this is all IMO, but definitely go with the manual.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #33
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Enjoy it and be careful!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #34
CamaroSoldier

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
I'm sorry, and I really hate being the guy to give the IMO speech but it needs to be done. First off, congratulations of getting a new/slightly used camaro (I'm assuming the mustang is something like a backup choice). I'm 20 and still a kid, but I worked my butt off all year and every summer and saved and when I had enough I got myself a very nice and very fast car, which I love and respect. When I was 16 I was an idiot and I'm pretty sure most guys here will agree that 16 year old boys do stupid sh!t occasionally. I rolled my parents SUV and woke up in a hospital about a week later. From experience, and trust me here. You have to respect the car. Kid my senior year wrapped his 350 around a telephone pole. Literally wrapped the car around, you don't walk away from a crash like that. Losing a friend like that isn't something you can brush off easily.

Hey your not the first lol. Definately manual. Everyone says "You'll never be one with a car until u drive manual" lol
CamaroSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #35
nalinc23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post

I agree with him. The Camaro is made so well and feels as solid as a tank but you have to remember you are still behind the wheel of a POWERFUL 3800 lb vehicle and if you dont respect the vehicle it's easy to lose control. When I was 16 I almost drove a couple vehicles into a ditch taking turns too fast, idiotic stuff like that. If you dont do that stuff now eventually you wont have the urge to and your insurance will be $90 a month for full coverage on a Camaro instead of $210 Also you will be alive!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #36
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalinc23 View Post
I disagree. He's 16, a V6 Camaro is one hell of a car for a 16 year old. Unless he has driven a ton of fast cars already (not likely simply due to age) the will be MORE than adequate in terms of power. Hell when I was 16 I drove my parents 99 Volvo S70 T5 (236 hp automatic) and it felt like a rocket!!

Also to the OP...be safe. I remember how I drove when I was 16 (i'm 27 now) and I did a lot of dumb things and so did my friends. Just remember that you can have fun driving but you dont have to be crazy/reckless. Also dont let your friends drive it!
Stop being a party pooper!

I got mine when I was 19 and went from driving a 225horsepower S-class Benz to my 400hp v8 baby.

If anything the power makes me be MORE cautious. And you only live once. It's a memory for a lifetime.
2SSARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #37
2SSARMY
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSoldier View Post
\Everyone says "You'll never be one with a car until u drive manual" lol
Which is probably the stupidest saying.
2SSARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #38
Adam
You Said Member

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT Auto RS
It just isn't right for someone so young to get a car as fine as this. I know I'll take crap for this but it's true. You are really a spoiled brat if you drive a 2010 camaro before the age of 22, if not 25.

You will never appreciate the vehicle the way some of us do. Many of us dreamt of driving 94 camaro's but had to wait as many years as you have been on this earth in order to be able to afford a new car for the first time in their life.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #39
Echelon2010

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
It just isn't right for someone so young to get a car as fine as this. I know I'll take crap for this but it's true. You are really a spoiled brat if you drive a 2010 camaro before the age of 22, if not 25.

You will never appreciate the vehicle the way some of us do. Many of us dreamt of driving 94 camaro's but had to wait as many years as you have been on this earth in order to be able to afford a new car for the first time in their life.
In a sense, I see your point, but there are some situations where it's not completely valid.

For example, there are quite a few people on this forum below the age of 20 who bought their Camaros themselves, and are still probably flipping burgers to make payments for them.

I'm 17, and I bought my Camaro just last week. I've had Camaros in the family for my whole life. My dad had an '82 Z28 that I LOVED, and I grew up with it. When I first saw the 2009 concept, I was hooked. I've been watching and saving for about 2 years now.

If the young people on the forum show the maturity and diligence to save for this care and make the payments themselves, then more power to them!

So no, in my opinion, owning a Camaro at a young age does not make a kid spoiled. But, if the car was given to them by mommy and daddy, well... that's another story.

That said, I don't think it's smart of a FIRST car to be something like a Camaro. Kids need to start out small when they first start driving. I previously owned a 4 cylinder '04 RAV4 before I got my Camaro. Great starter car, very practical. I think all kids should start out with something like that.
But hey, to each his own!
Echelon2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #40
Berean

Drives: Truck
If you're still living under your parents roof and eating their food, you can't really say you're paying for your Camaro.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #41
nalinc23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARMY View Post
Stop being a party pooper!

I got mine when I was 19 and went from driving a 225horsepower S-class Benz to my 400hp v8 baby.

If anything the power makes me be MORE cautious. And you only live once. It's a memory for a lifetime.
What year was the Benz? You have to go back a ways to find a 225 hp S class lol.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #42
Echelon2010

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
If you're still living under your parents roof and eating their food, you can't really say you're paying for your Camaro.
So if the money for my car payments comes out of my bank account, I'm still not paying for it if I live with my parents?

I'm not a home-owner, I'm not a bread-winner. I'm a Camaro owner...
Echelon2010 is offline   Reply With Quote