Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Urethane filling subframe inserts

Doing mine this weekend, surprised there aren't more people doing it this way. It's cheaper then buying inserts, and does the same thing. Downside is you have to completely remove the subframe to do it.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Products-.../dp/B000CQ6IG2

Most parts stores stock it as well. I got two tubes, should be plenty to do the subframe and diff bushings.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

I'll even take a few pictures to document.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
We use to do this to our motormounts, back in the day. Should be fine as long as you give it plenty of time to set up.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

It's a 24-48 hour cure time. Will have several weeks to sit, so it's all good

@Motor mount comment : I've done several tired old motor/tranny mounts on several cars with this stuff. Brings them back to life for sure and limits motion greatly. Cant beat it for the cost
Old 06-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

I mentioned doing this in a thread not long ago but no one replied to it. Seems like a feaseble alternative to doing the inserts and as you mentioned, considerably cheaper. The only issue I see is the possible hassle of getting it out if you deside to go with full bushing replacements.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I mentioned doing this in a thread not long ago but no one replied to it. Seems like a feaseble alternative to doing the inserts and as you mentioned, considerably cheaper. The only issue I see is the possible hassle of getting it out if you deside to go with full bushing replacements.
This.

Seems to be more of a repair than a solution, but let us know how it works for you.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
If I had to remove the subframe anyway, I would just replace the bushings with polys.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post
Downside is you have to completely remove the subframe to do it.
You have answered your own question as to why. Inserts can be done without doing this. And if you are gonna go thru the hassle of dropping the subframe, you want to install the best possible solution and this is not it. IMHO.

You do know that this product is made for windshields etc right? I doubt it will stand up in your application....
Old 06-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Yep, durability is probably gonna be an issue.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
You have answered your own question as to why. Inserts can be done without doing this. And if you are gonna go thru the hassle of dropping the subframe, you want to install the best possible solution and this is not it. IMHO.

You do know that this product is made for windshields etc right? I doubt it will stand up in your application....
I don't understand the OP's need to drop the subframe though. It should be even easier than putting in inserts. All you need is access to the voids in the bushings and just from one side. Inject the urethane, button it back up, then let it dry for the allotted time. While this isn't as good as a complete bushing swap, I think it's a viable option to the inserts. Also, $30-40 vs $160 for essentially the same thing can be very appealing.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 06-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I don't understand the OP's need to drop the subframe though. It should be even easier than putting in inserts. All you need is access to the voids in the bushings and just from one side. Inject the urethane, button it back up, then let it dry for the allotted time. While this isn't as good as a complete bushing swap, I think it's a viable option to the inserts. Also, $30-40 vs $160 for essentially the same thing can be very appealing.
What he has listed is for sealing windshields, lenses etc, not meant for this application.

As long as ALL of the gap is filled AND the proper product is used then maybe. I'm not sure they make a decent durometer material in a "self application" package....
Old 06-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #13
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Not that I would use them again but I got a set of Energy Suspension inserts shipped to my door for $100. That's just a little more than what was mentioned for the cost of doing this.

My personal opinion is that I would use the Engergy before doing this but then again I would suggest saving the money for the Pedders inserts or just do a full bushing replacement.

Thats me though.....
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Not that I would use them again but I got a set of Energy Suspension inserts shipped to my door for $100. That's just a little more than what was mentioned for the cost of doing this. .....
And we all saw how well they worked out for ya, .
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)