Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #43
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
I had my engine tuned at the same place that is installing the nitrous, will the car need to be tuned again when adding nitrous?

The system is going to cost around $1100, which included the nitrous system, 10lb canister, and the purge option. I don't drive the car in the winter and it's not a DD so would I need a pressure system? Is a 10lb canister the right size? How much do they cost to get refilled?

You guys are worrying me a little with this blowing up stuff.
Need tune for nitrous? Maybe or maybe not. Depends what the shop decides to do. Did you read my previous post, 23? If they do it the way I stated in the post, then no.
N2O went up this yr in my area. For a 10lb refill it's $45. You'll need to refill when you have about 2lbs left. How do you know? Weigh it, eventually you get a feel of when you need filled. Weigh the bottle empty with all the accessories on it, remote bottle opener, pressure gauge, bottle heater pressure switch, etc. Then you will know where your at with the amount of nitrous in the bottle.
What do you mean by pressure system? Nano?
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #44
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
lol, see even when its bad its good and a life long memory .
LOL yeah things have come along way. Would be a life long memory if had a memory lol. Just noticed what I wrote.That was closer to 30 yrs ago not 20. Ah whats ten years at my age. lol
Love the mailslot purge.

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:21 AM   #45
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
That's to clean all the oil and engine parts off the track. Like I said. Grenaded.

$700 N2O kit = -$8000 engine.
700 for a good set up in what world?
Just shows how out of touch you are.
A good system with an isolated fuel system should be much closer to 3k with ease if done correctly.

And if you are seeing so many incidents at your local track that tells me there is quite a bit of incompetence at your local shops or whomever is doing all these systems that are blowing up constantly. Unless you are talking about older cars with less sophisticated systems which had a much higher risk.

Down here we rarely see incidents with nitrous grenading engines. Maybe 1 per year.

And many many cars are using it either for a primary adder or to assist in boost setups.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #46
KCS

Drives: 2000 Pontiac Trans Am
I had a 150shot on my Trans Am back in the day and loved it! All it had was a SLP exhaust and a TNT nitrous kit, and I was running door to door with pullied/ported blower 03-04 Cobras.

Nowadays, many of our customers prefer nitrous and have no issues with good tuning. Our C6ZO6 has a 200shot, puts down over 830whp, and ran over 208MPH at the Texas Mile!

Here's another one of our heads/cam LS7 nitrous cars, went 204MPH...stock bottom end.

KCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #47
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
So what would I do if I wanted to blow up my engine? If you tell me how to blow it up I will know to NEVER do it.

I checked online and I don't see any kits that cost $3K, they all seem to be under $1K. What do you get with a $3K kit -vs- a $1K kit?
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #48
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxKamai View Post
My experience with nitrous
How much did you spend on your nitrous kit? Have you had any trouble with it? No blown engines right?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #49
MaxKamai
Mad Ninja Skills

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
LOL. No blown engines. I have had a ZEX kit on my past 4 cars. I was the first on this forum to run one on my old 2010 V6. The ZEX kit is very safe. A window switch makes it safer, and the tune needs to be checked for knock retard. A bottle heater will make it last a little longer. A purge kit will help get all the air/water vapor out of the lines. You can spend a ton of money on stand alone fuel tanks and NANO kits and direct port set ups. Are they better? YES. Are they necessary? NO
I still have my window switch in a box in my garage, but I do plan on installing it. I adjusted my tune for a no lift shift like the ZR1, so the window switch will help out a lot.
Custom stainless 2" primary headers / Custom stainless 3" header back exhaust / Hurst short shifter / ZEX nitrous kit / Vararam intake / Spohn chrome moly trailing arms / Sin City Performance Tune / SCP custom ground cam / SCP ported & polished heads

New Car 2007 Corvette Z06 - Headers / Vararam / Magnaflow Catback / SCP Tune / Nitrous / BTR Stg IV Cam and Springs
MaxKamai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #50
KCS

Quote:
So what would I do if I wanted to blow up my engine? If you tell me how to blow it up I will know to NEVER do it.

I checked online and I don't see any kits that cost $3K, they all seem to be under $1K. What do you get with a $3K kit -vs- a $1K kit?
The smaller doses of nitrous (<200shot) really are pretty safe IF you don't get greedy with it and you get it dialed in correctly in the tune. Sometimes the manufacturers' jets don't result in the best AFR, so a little bit of fine tuning is required.

When someone blows their engine up with nitrous, many times its because of a really aggressive tune, or it wasn't tuned for the nitrous at all. We'll see tune files that are WAY off in both timing and AFR. Don't get me wrong, between boost and nitrous, the nitrous does produce a more violent combustion, but it's not anything that will exceed the limits of the engine with a competent tuner and his laptop.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #51
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Pfffft.

Yes a properly installed and tuned nitrous kit will run perfectly.

Then something stupid happens, like a solenoid sticks, or some wiring glitch, or an airlock in the fuel line. Or any one of a hundred things that can go wrong.

Then KABLOOOEY.

That's the problem with nitrous. Everything has to be perfect or else bye bye expensive engine.

Not to mention the cost of running it. Tag an extra hundred bucks (or more) to your fuel costs for a Race weekend and you can pay for FI real quick.

And yes, FI can grenade too. But it won't from a simple fueling issue like nitrous will.

That said, there is a 1967 Shelby Pro-mod in my neck of the woods with a 705 cubic inch hemi Ford in it that runs a 1300hp shot of nitrous. Never seen it hiccup once. But it is still the most dangerous power adder you can do. Period.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #52
KCS

Quote:
Pfffft.

Yes a properly installed and tuned nitrous kit will run perfectly.

Then something stupid happens, like a solenoid sticks, or some wiring glitch, or an airlock in the fuel line. Or any one of a hundred things that can go wrong.

Then KABLOOOEY.

That's the problem with nitrous. Everything has to be perfect or else bye bye expensive engine.

Not to mention the cost of running it. Tag an extra hundred bucks (or more) to your fuel costs for a Race weekend and you can pay for FI real quick.

And yes, FI can grenade too. But it won't from a simple fueling issue like nitrous will.

That said, there is a 1967 Shelby Pro-mod in my neck of the woods with a 705 cubic inch hemi Ford in it that runs a 1300hp shot of nitrous. Never seen it hiccup once. But it is still the most dangerous power adder you can do. Period.
"Fueling Issues" will blow any engine up, it doesn't matter if it has boost, nitrous, or its naturally aspirated. Detonation is detonation.

As an engine builder, I've seen engine failures all across the board. Tighten blower belts too tight and the crankshaft snaps. Route a vacuum line incorrectly, hello 30psi and goodbye engine. I had a toasted LSA in here because one of the cats came loose, clogged the exhaust, and put so much heat in the cylinders that the moly inlay in the rings came apart. The blowby was so bad, it was gushing oil out of the rear main seal.

Point is, nitrous isn't exclusively susceptible to something going wrong.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #53
willhe64

Not it isn't, but my point is, it's more susceptible to something going wrong.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #54
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
fuel pressure saftey switch if u scared of stuff like that. if a noid get stuck . thats why u have a kill switch or manifold pressure cutoffs many many saftey items to cure those problems. if u do ur own nitrous filling after a pump u can fill it for around 3 bucks a lb. if that. plus make money cause most ppl charge 6-7 bucks. but just cause u dont know how to use nitrous dont means its bad. pretty much the same thing for f/i goes for nitrous about saftey. maybe a few lil things that are diff but . its pretty safe. if someone just does the old way they are asking for trouble.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #55
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Most peoples experience with nitrous:

WEEEEEEEEE!

then:

KAAABOOOOOM!

couple quick questions.
have you ever run nitrous?
have you ever blown an engine using nitrous?

Part of the misconception with nitrous is due to people only remembering the horror stories about it. No one really talks about the other thousands of cars/applications/etc that are running nitrous completely fine.

Granted, nitrous engine failures are normally more "spectacular" than other engine failures.
But the fact remains that just like any other setup. If the due diligence has not been performed, you are waiting for trouble.

that being said, I love nitrous. I've run it on just about every camaro I've owned over the years (4 of 6) and on numerous other vehicles. In over a decade of using it, I've never had a single nitrous backfire running anything from a 50hp plate system for turbo spooling up all the way to a 300hp progressive direct port setup.

I've used just about every kit out there and sometimes "frankensteins" of diffferent kits (bottle and lines from one company, window/arming switch from another, etc). I've used completely brand new kits and used kits.

The key to it all is the proper setup and tuning of the engine.

Quote:
Can't say I ever heard of this plan. I can afford a new engine but sure in hell don't want to buy one. The car has a rev limiter so how can nitrous damage the engine other than running to many RPM's? Educate me please.
The best plan I can tell people is listed in my sig. "Never race anything you can't afford to light on fire and push off a cliff."

its not just for nitrous. it applies to all modifications and racing. The other common saying out there is that you have to pay to play.

as for other ways your engine can be torn apart, see BadBubba's post.

Quote:
Not it isn't, but my point is, it's more susceptible to something going wrong.
how so?
the major cause of all nitrous failures boils down to the tune/tuner.

Granted, there are plenty of components that can fail that aren't present on SC/TC, ie: solenoids, nozzles, bottle heaters, etc.

But look at a SC/TC setup. pressure spikes, intercooler clogging, overboost, compressor stall, belt failure, bypass valve sticking, impeller/rotor erosion, etc.

What I'm saying is that there are risks involved with all of them. Some are unique to the specific system, some are not.

For those who want to go fast on a budget but don't go racing all the time, I recommend nitrous.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #56
willhe64

Buncha butthurt N2O users.

I'll say this again.

NITROUS IS THE MOST DANGEROUS POWER ADDER YOU CAN USE.

Most users have never ever had a catastrophic failure with it. True. And I am glad for those who haven't. Don't wish that on anyone.

No, I've never used it. Because I don't want to sweep my engine off the track. I've drag raced for over 25 years. Dozens of events every year. Seen enough to steer me well away from it.