Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
bolteon593

Drives: 2011 GT500
hey everyone... i sent them an email. here are all the details.

Quote:
Hello-
As far as the details, pricing and time will vary depending on when we receive your car, and how far we have proceeded in our R&D process with other 2010 Camaros. We will need each vehicle for a MINIMUM of 4 weeks. For the first batch of development cars, the period may be as long as 4 months depending on any potential installation or calibration surprises.
You will be responsible for delivery of the vehicle to Vortech, and taking it away when it is complete. When taking final delivery of the vehicle, the vehicle owner will be required to sign a release acknowledging that the vehicle is not emissions legal.
If we keep your vehicle for less than 10 weeks, the parts and installation will be $3000 plus tax ($400 extra for polished finish). Retail pricing for the satin finish system is anticipated at $6000-$6400 plus installation, which usually ranges from $750-$1500.
If we keep your vehicle for longer than 10 weeks, the parts and installation will be at no charge to you.
Thanks

i sent some more questions, i'll post them up when they reply.

personally i'm thinking about doing it. my 2010 will be a company car and used occasionally for the first 2 years of me owning it. no reason not to have 650hp put to it (outside the obvious need for me to go learn how to drive that much hp)
bolteon593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #16
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
Pretty cool except that if you are going to have my 2010 Camaro SS for a few weeks the S/C system needs to be FREE not a discount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
that's what i thought.
or at least 80% discount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sctrjn21 View Post
id be down if it was for free. just dropping 38k on the car im not going to have much left over to put down on a supercharger. I would do it 6 months or so after i have owned the car. once i can recoop all the money i dropped
Seriously?! To think they're going to be beating on it, tuning on it, and who knows what other abuse they'll put it through. I mean think about it - it's not like the tune is going to be spot on right away, and all the parts and harnesses that they'll have to get into/move out of the way/ remove-install; that stuff might not ever fit like it used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
hey everyone... i sent them an email. here are all the details.

i sent some more questions, i'll post them up when they reply.

personally i'm thinking about doing it. my 2010 will be a company car and used occasionally for the first 2 years of me owning it. no reason not to have 650hp put to it (outside the obvious need for me to go learn how to drive that much hp)
WOW - NOT EVEN EMISSIONS LEGAL?! How/where are you supposed to drive this thing?! Good luck in California. If you get sent to a smog ref', you'll drop at least $100 for the fine. My first offense, for running no cats', was more than $200... Umm... sure; keep my brand new Camaro for up to ten weeks (up to which you'll be paying several thousand dollars while you experiment on my car) and let me drive in a car that isn't emissions legal. HEY - THAT'S A GREAT DEAL AFTER ALL!!! I'm sorry, that just sounds like a load of poop. If they were experimenting on a car, and didn't charge the person for it (regardless of the timetable) that's one thing; this is total crap, IMO.

*** getting off soapbox*** I'm sorry

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #17
bolteon593

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Seriously?! To think they're going to be beating on it, tuning on it, and who knows what other abuse they'll put it through. I mean think about it - it's not like the tune is going to be spot on right away, and all the parts and harnesses that they'll have to get into/move out of the way/ remove-install; that stuff might not ever fit like it used to.

WOW - NOT EVEN EMISSIONS LEGAL?! How/where are you supposed to drive this thing?! Good luck in California. If you get sent to a smog ref', you'll drop at least $100 for the fine. My first offense, for running no cats', was more than $200... Umm... sure; keep my brand new Camaro for up to ten weeks (up to which you'll be paying several thousand dollars while you experiment on my car) and let me drive in a car that isn't emissions legal. HEY - THAT'S A GREAT DEAL AFTER ALL!!! I'm sorry, that just sounds like a load of poop. If they were experimenting on a car, and didn't charge the person for it (regardless of the timetable) that's one thing; this is total crap, IMO.

*** getting off soapbox*** I'm sorry
got any examples of better deals with other companies? i'm really interested in doing it with one, though i'd much rather have an emissions legal car free of charge at the end of it.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolteon593 View Post
got any examples of better deals with other companies? i'm really interested in doing it with one, though i'd much rather have an emissions legal car free of charge at the end of it.
No - I wish I did for you. I'd keep trying Procharger, Magnusun, Whipple, Kenny Bell, etc. Shoot, if you don't mind a turbo, I'd try Squire Turbo Systems (STS). I think they have CARB-legal systems out there for GM cars too I'm not particularly partial to these systems, though I like the idea. I'm sure most of the companies I listed will eventually come out with one.

Ooo, maybe Edelbrock too. I know they came out with their Mod' Motor supercharger not long ago; maybe they'd have something for ya'.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Low Side // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 04-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #19
bolteon593

and some more...

Quote:
Hi

Anticipated HP gain will be 40-50% and TQ 30-40%. We will put anywhere from 100-750 miles on the car. Visiting the car will be fine. Our s/ carries a 3 year warranty. The vehicle warranty is up to you and the dealer. If this system is removed, it will pass emissions.

Thanks
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 12:46 PM
To: ***************
Subject: RE: Vortech Wants Your 2010 Camaro
hello, thanks for getting back to me on this so quickly.

i like what i'm hearing so far. i have a few questions myself:

- what's the expected output in hp/lbs tq? and at what boost will the final build be running at?
- will you be actually driving the car? it's technically my company car and keeping the miles low is important (dyno pulls i'm not worried about)
- will i be able to stop on in and see my car from time to time at your facility?
- what sort of warrenty will i be able to expect?
- will you be retuning the ecm?
- as for the sake of emissions, if i were to have the system unbolted from the, should i be able to pass emissions?

many thanks, i'm very interested personally.

Marko Mandaric
CG Supervisor
S/W/A/Y Studio

so it seems they're expecting from 596-639 hp and 546-588 lbs of tq.

that's a massive amount of power. still undecided though.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Found this:
http://blogs.superchevy.com/6229843/...wer/index.html
Our source inside GMPP, says this: "GM Performance Parts is looking into releasing the top half of the LS9 into their GM dealer system so that they could release it as a separate part number in addition to LS9 crate engines. That will allow you to convert an LS3 (with a piston/rod upgrade) to the top end potential of the LS9. Or, just imagine the potential with one of their LSX blocks punched out to 500 cubic inches!" All I can think of is putting this engine into a '67 Camaro, then somehow adding the ZR1's 15.5-inch carbon ceramic front disc brakes for stopping power. Of course, you if these parts get released, you could just add them to your 2010 Camaro. Oh, the possibilities ..
Old 04-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #21
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
You guys do know that Vortec is now in the twin-screw business, right?

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=218
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
You guys do know that Vortec is now in the twin-screw business, right?

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=218
GOOD POINT!!! I remember reading about that somewhere but didn't find it on their site at the time. Ooo...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #23
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro
Now you're talking!! GM goodies, warranty remains intact, hopefully emissions legal....

I wonder if Robin has any info she could share??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_2Many View Post
Found this:
http://blogs.superchevy.com/6229843/...wer/index.html
Our source inside GMPP, says this: "GM Performance Parts is looking into releasing the top half of the LS9 into their GM dealer system so that they could release it as a separate part number in addition to LS9 crate engines. That will allow you to convert an LS3 (with a piston/rod upgrade) to the top end potential of the LS9. Or, just imagine the potential with one of their LSX blocks punched out to 500 cubic inches!" All I can think of is putting this engine into a '67 Camaro, then somehow adding the ZR1's 15.5-inch carbon ceramic front disc brakes for stopping power. Of course, you if these parts get released, you could just add them to your 2010 Camaro. Oh, the possibilities ..
josh1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #24
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
If we keep your vehicle for less than 10 weeks, the parts and installation will be $3000 plus tax ($400 extra for polished finish). Retail pricing for the satin finish system is anticipated at $6000-$6400 plus installation, which usually ranges from $750-$1500.
Is this a joke? The amount of wear and tear they'll put on the car, as well as losing your car for at least a month, is defintely NOT worth $3000 - $5000. Not only that, you aren't assured everything is smooth with it as you're just the test mule(2010 Camaro irony).

The only way ANYONE should consider this if the whole thing is free.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #25
Haloman1346
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I would really hope that people who just dropped nearly 40k on a car would be smart enough not to let them "borrow" your car for 4 to 10 weeks.

They want you to deliver the car.
Wont be emissions legal.
They will give you your beat to hell v8 back with a beat up supercharger at a "discount" price.
You must pick up your car.

Pick up and drop off my car, give me a loaner car, give me a new engine with a new supercharger, sign a "you break it, you buy it contract", make it emissions legal and I MIGHT think about it.
Haloman1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:13 PM   #26
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
Is this a joke? The amount of wear and tear they'll put on the car, as well as losing your car for at least a month, is defintely NOT worth $3000 - $5000. Not only that, you aren't assured everything is smooth with it as you're just the test mule(2010 Camaro irony).

The only way ANYONE should consider this if the whole thing is free.
Not to menton voiding your powertrain warranty.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #27
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
I'm in contact with them also. Vortech is top notch, and whoever does this will be more than pleased I'm sure!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #28
hollywoodGU

Drives: 1999 Firebird Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
I'm in contact with them also. Vortech is top notch, and whoever does this will be more than pleased I'm sure!
are you serious? this is the worst deal i have ever heard of...and on top of that are you really willing to give strangers your camaro for 2 and a half months right after you recieve it?
hollywoodGU is offline   Reply With Quote