Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #29
SixGracing

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6.3 View Post
Thats one badass sounding car congrats
THank you! Keep us posted on your install. If you have any questions you know where to find me.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #30
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
OP, my first set of Kooks cats did the same thing...so I hollowed them out and ran without for a while, but I have another set on there now, and they've been ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thahemp View Post
You need to get off the GM oil (probably M1) or you might find something more expensive than cats giving out on your car. Amsoil, Joe Gibbs, Valvoline VR1, etc.
German Castrol is also an excellent choice.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #31
Sickness91Z28
Reaper Crew

Drives: Blown 2010 Camaro SS
maaaaaaan, that has to be one of the best sounding 5th gen's I've heard!!

2010 Camaro SS
SLP TVS2300 Blower, Blower Cam, Lingenfelter Heads, Meth Injected, 5lbs of Boost@700 BHP
Pedders XA Coilovers
Sickness91Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #32
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickness91Z28 View Post
maaaaaaan, that has to be one of the best sounding 5th gen's I've heard!!
Thank you! It's the one thing that now draws attention to this car. At first it was the novelty of it being a Camaro, and well, they are amazing looking cars. Now that they've been out for awhile, even though we get the occasional thumbs up or head turn, when we pull in anywhere and people hear it, we get immediate attention. Rarely can I get gas or go to a convenience store without someone asking me about the car.

Had a body guy come over today to give me a quote on fixing the holes in the trunk from the stock spoiler and when I started the car he lit up like a Christmas tree. He went on and on about how good the car sounds. I'd have to agree. Btw, DON'T fix the holes in your deck lid. You can find them all over the internet for just over $200 new. Fixed is $500+ Unless you're a body guy of course and an do it yourself. I ordered my trunk lid from Morrison's Auto in Wisconsin. $225 painted and with Chevy log and NEW! Good price.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #33
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOD View Post
OP, my first set of Kooks cats did the same thing...so I hollowed them out and ran without for a while, but I have another set on there now, and they've been ok.

German Castrol is also an excellent choice.
I'll probably leave mine off. I love the way it sounds and unless I'm crazy, the car pulls so much harder. I wonder if the cats weren't choking my car out. The other thing that is making sense now is my original dyno numbers fell by almost 30HP over time. I think the cats had something to do with that too.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #34
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
I'll probably leave mine off. I love the way it sounds and unless I'm crazy, the car pulls so much harder. I wonder if the cats weren't choking my car out. The other thing that is making sense now is my original dyno numbers fell by almost 30HP over time. I think the cats had something to do with that too.
Was the COT fueling disabled in your tune before the NOS, if so that would kill the cats over time.

Cat Over Temp is the biggest factor in cat failures, granted aftermarket cats are not as resilient as factory cats.

NOS is a Power adder just like a Supercharger where you put more Air and fuel through then engine essentially increasing the cubic in displacement through the exhaust.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #35
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Was the COT fueling disabled in your tune before the NOS, if so that would kill the cats over time.

Cat Over Temp is the biggest factor in cat failures, granted aftermarket cats are not as resilient as factory cats.

NOS is a Power adder just like a Supercharger where you put more Air and fuel through then engine essentially increasing the cubic in displacement through the exhaust.

Ted.
Good question Ted. I don't know the answer but can certainly find out. I have HP tuners and can look. Why would a tuner disable COT?
Old 11-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #36
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixGracing View Post
Good question Ted. I don't know the answer but can certainly find out. I have HP tuners and can look. Why would a tuner disable COT?
COT should only be disabled during the Calibration process so you can hit your commanded AFR, but it should be turned back on when finished if the car is equipped with Cats.

COT can become active during a dyno session and will add Fueling to cool the cats and you could see Much Richer AFR which if you didn't know would cause you to remove more fuel in an effort reach your commanded AFR.

Then when COT is Not active you would be Way Lean.

COT should only be Off if No cats are Present.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:06 AM   #37
SixGracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
COT should only be disabled during the Calibration process so you can hit your commanded AFR, but it should be turned back on when finished if the car is equipped with Cats.

COT can become active during a dyno session and will add Fueling to cool the cats and you could see Much Richer AFR which if you didn't know would cause you to remove more fuel in an effort reach your commanded AFR.

Then when COT is Not active you would be Way Lean.

COT should only be Off if No cats are Present.

Ted.
sounds like I need to make sure it's disabled. Since I no longer have cats.