Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
AngelPharmD

Drives: 2010 2SS Black Camaro w/RS package
Would you paint your Black SS......

well, i'm sure like several Black or other dark colored Camaro owners, the risk of having swirl marks,halograms, scratches be more visible in these colored cars than lighter cars. the thing is that back in May, my car got keyed. Took it to the dealer to get it fixed. submitted an insurance claim etc. i was happy to get the car back only to notice swirl marks. the auto guy at the shop said its hard to maintain a black car and get rid of all the swirl marks. after taking it back a couple of times to get corrected (add compound, etc), i figured he was probably making it worse. I took it to a profressional detailer who charged me about $200 to take out most of the marks and I was pretty much happy. Now that I continue to wash my car and keep it clean, I notice the swirl marks and it just agitates me. If I knew I would have had this problem, I would have just left the key damage on the door.

Anyways, point of this post is to ask if painting the entire car either black or some other color would be something you would do, especially if you are the kind of person that takes pride in their hard earned car and can't stand that driving your baby around is embarrassing, especially to those people driving on the side that the sun is hitting making these swirls appear. makes me sick to my stomach (DAMN YOU PERSON WHO KEYED MY CAR :( . I DONT plan on selling it so i dont care i repainting the entire car depreciates the value of the car. Just wanted to get some opinions to see what people thought.

Thanks
AngelPharmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
Unknown SSRS

Drives: 2011 VR SS/RS
or u can just leanr how to properly wash/detail your car so u dont have to feel this way....esp with black.... its take time and hard work to maintain a flawless finnish on a black car... it can be done and i still do it...but again... i detail/paint correct for a living... like it said... once u learn how... its not that hard. if u have any questions u can PM me or just look through Jnkmans threads about properly maintaining your car.
Unknown SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
The key damage has nothing to do with your swirls. Some of them were probably installed by the dealer, but for $200, the detailer should have gotten rid of them. Most likely what's happening is you're washing your car improperly and causing more swirls every time you touch it. That's where the damage comes from, and it will continue to keep coming until you learn how to do it properly.