Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #43
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
Yes awesome thread. From the research I have done, the MRT2.0 eliminates the drone over the 1.0. So it's good to know there is drone to contend with.

I'm not to wise about exhausts. What's the difference between H and X pipes? Other than shape. Would one be better than the other in reducing drone. Looks like H pipes have better low end power; but appear larger and more difficult to install with limited space.

Also, is there a specific x pipe for the camaro or do people use the generic one? Where in the exhaust line does it get installed?
Typically for the V6, the traditional X pipe causes rasp...so when people want to reduce drone and/or rasp they will add a Resonated X pipe (essentially a muffler, with an 'X' shaped core and perforated on the inside as well) in place of where the stock H pipe is. It pretty much always helps quite a bit, but it can also muffle the exhaust tone some so there is a bit of a trade-off.

Good luck Mach....may want to do what SOLO does and make the ends adjustable so if your first attempt isn't perfect, you can make a simple change and correct it.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #44
Mach

Drives: White M6 1LT RS
Well............. It took 4 hours but I got the pipes in. I got so lucky picking out the right mandrel bend sizes. These pipes are made by summit. I made them 29 inches long. I was able to package them super tight around the mufflers. Here are the pipes they fit perfect...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390364088873...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Top of the muffler...

Bottom...

And I have to say the drone is GONE!!!!! What ended up happening is the really deep bass drone got eliminated. The stuff that drove me crazy at highway speeds (70-75mph)

Here is the before..

Notice how the 100-120 Hertz is flat now...
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Next mod: Done!
Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #45
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
AWESOME job, glad to hear it worked out for you. Looks like you found a small side job......

MRT owners can send you their mufflers and you can install the pipes and ship them back...........
Old 11-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #46
Saint Alban

Drives: '14 Black 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
Well............. It took 4 hours but I got the pipes in. I got so lucky picking out the right mandrel bend sizes. These pipes are made by summit. I made them 29 inches long. I was able to package them super tight around the mufflers. Here are the pipes they fit perfect...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390364088873...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Top of the muffler...

Bottom...

And I have to say the drone is GONE!!!!! What ended up happening is the really deep bass drone got eliminated. The stuff that drove me crazy at highway speeds (70-75mph)

Here is the before..

Notice how the 100-120 Hertz is flat now...
Great job. I've got all three pipes ready to go. Looks like I'll try to get this done when I can.

That is 29" from the weld to the cap, right? Any tips on getting this done before I try myself? I dont want to screw this up. I'm probably gonna cut the pipes myself to the lengths I need but gonna have to have a muffler shop do the welding. I haven't worked with pipes since high school. I do remember not to measure from the inside or outside of the bend but from the middle. You basically cut the two U pipes into J's, cut the bend of the last U in half to use those elbows and weld them to the ends of the J's. Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm just trying to spell it out for myself, I need all the instruction I can get.
Saint Alban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #47
Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Alban View Post
Great job. I've got all three pipes ready to go. Looks like I'll try to get this done when I can.

That is 29" from the weld to the cap, right? Any tips on getting this done before I try myself? I dont want to screw this up. I'm probably gonna cut the pipes myself to the lengths I need but gonna have to have a muffler shop do the welding. I haven't worked with pipes since high school. I do remember not to measure from the inside or outside of the bend but from the middle. You basically cut the two U pipes into J's, cut the bend of the last U in half to use those elbows and weld them to the ends of the J's. Not sure if that makes sense, but I'm just trying to spell it out for myself, I need all the instruction I can get.
Yeah, its 29 inches from the weld to the cap, down the middle of the pipe. I am going to do some solid highway driving tomorrow. (250 miles). So I will have plenty of time to take more scope clips and get a good feel for how 29 inches is working out. Or if we need to go longer on the pipes.

I just got my hands on a huge sawsall and put the pipes on a table vise. The way you explained the cutting is the way I did it. I would recommend the shop cut the pipes because it takes some test fitting%2
Pfadt Sway Bars - FE3 Suspension - Barton Shifter - IdealG's Clutch Master Cylinder - Trifecta - Vmax TB - Vararam Intake - MACE 25mm Insulator - Plenum Insulator - Ported/Gasket Matched Intake Manifold - Rx Catchcan - AAC DRL's - 4 Pack Aux Gauges - Steering Controls - AAC Afterburners - DIY Led Sidemarkers - ZL1 Front End

Old 11-27-2011, 12:54 AM   #48
Saint Alban

Sounds good. And sounds like a long drive. I am excited about this but I'll hold off until you're satisfied with the length. Since the new pipes are so close, they're not knocking against the mufflers or the spare tire well are they?
Old 11-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #49
Mach

The highway drive was a success!! According to my scope app I lost about 10db. It doesn't sound like much but 10db is actually ALOT! My ears enjoyed it too. The drone at 75mph is totally gone! The MRT 2.0 now sounds just a bit louder then stock at cruise. But its still loud as hell when you step on it!!

The only time I got a drone is going uphill while keeping my speed constant. But that is still about 10 db quieter. Uphill before hit 86db now the highest I got was 76db I am totally happy with this mod.

Cruise at 75mph before was 82db now I get 72db....

This to me is the perfect exhaust.. It sounds mean like the MRT2.0 but 0 drone. I am able to listen to music at a quieter volume and have a conversation without the BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Old 11-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #50
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
GREAT JOB!!! I salute you, Sir, on a job well done.

Another true believer in the Helmholtz cult.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #51
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Awesome...this should prove to be a very valuable thread to many people out there!
Old 11-27-2011, 09:18 PM   #52
Saint Alban

Gonna get this done this week!....hopefully. Aiming for tomorrow after work.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #53
Saint Alban

In the shop right now having it done. Nervous as hell. They're using your pictures as reference (Mach). They don't know how you got such a clean hole in the pipe or what you used to cap it off.

9:43am

10:25am

One side done.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #54
KirkB
Don't Believe the Truth

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 1LS
I would think a hole saw would do the trick.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 AM   #55
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach View Post
The highway drive was a success!! According to my scope app I lost about 10db. It doesn't sound like much but 10db is actually ALOT! My ears enjoyed it too. The drone at 75mph is totally gone! The MRT 2.0 now sounds just a bit louder then stock at cruise. But its still loud as hell when you step on it!!

The only time I got a drone is going uphill while keeping my speed constant. But that is still about 10 db quieter. Uphill before hit 86db now the highest I got was 76db I am totally happy with this mod.

Cruise at 75mph before was 82db now I get 72db....

This to me is the perfect exhaust.. It sounds mean like the MRT2.0 but 0 drone. I am able to listen to music at a quieter volume and have a conversation without the BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Great job and thanks for sharing this mod with us ! Now all I need to do is show these pics to my muffler guy and see what this cost would be.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #56
Saint Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
I would think a hole saw would do the trick.
I'd think so too...if I knew that existed, lol. Apparently they don't have one here, but he did alright without it.