Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
sacloud

Drives: 45th Anniversary Edition 2SS
To Supercharge or not

First of all, forgive me for asking something that may have been covered in the forum already. I have a new (1,000 miles) 45th anniversary 2SS. I am wanting to super/turbo charge it eventually (just something I have always wanted to do.) I have seen what Whipple and the others have to offer for the Gen5 Camaro and am excited about what is available as a bolt on. My main question is, and it may be a dumb one, but will adding this onto my Camaro void my GM warranty? If so, to what extent? I see where Whipple offers a add-on warranty to the product you buy from them. On a recent "Two Guys Garage" show on Speed TV, they installed the supercharger, headers, fuel booster, etc to a 2010 Pace Car Camaro. I'm sure that this would totally anniallate the GM warranty?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
sacloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Yes. It would be gone. No more warranty.

Also, many people suffer failures in the drive train after such an upgrade. Search around a bit and you'll see that supercharging is only part of the process. You are going to need to sure up the drive line. On top of that, the stock motor does not have the proper components to deal with a supercharger. Forged components would be a wise upgrade.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
GMollohan12

Drives: '04 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
Yes. It would be gone. No more warranty.

Also, many people suffer failures in the drive train after such an upgrade. Search around a bit and you'll see that supercharging is only part of the process. You are going to need to sure up the drive line. On top of that, the stock motor does not have the proper components to deal with a supercharger. Forged components would be a wise upgrade.
GMollohan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Yep supercharging is nice but shit breaks under boost. LS3 more than L99 since people are dropping the clutch and shocking the drive train. Wheel hop also becomes more of a problem so axles will be snapping.

I would say plan on spending at least 10-12K to get the car built up some along with the supercharger to handle the load.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
sacloud

I suspected the answer on the warranty, willing to wait 90K miles to do it, and the advice on the drive line makes sense... as far as doing anything else, I might as well enjoy my 45th SS as long as I can until I can trade up to the ZL1?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
VanquisherSS
Hasbin of Stock Bottom HP

Drives: CTS-V Coupe, 04 TT Viper
A properly built SS with engine/suspension/drivetrain upgrades will wipe the floor with a ZL1, just saying.
VanquisherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
your drivetrain warranty will be toast...yes. Some SC makers offer "supplemental" drivetrain warranties with lots of "fine print".
Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
I have the E-force set up on an L99 and the car moves out pretty well. Yes, the warranty is gone from GM, but I did buy a comprehensive warranty through Edelbrock that is pretty comprehensive in what they cover. As long as a good installer put the unit on and it is tuned properly, you should be fine. Yes. There are superchargers out there that probably offer better performance out of the box, but I feel pretty good about my cars ability to handle the relatively 'mild' amount of pressure that the E-force puts on the car without further modding driveline. I do want to do the LS3 conversion to get rid of the L99 lifters that are prone to failure on SC engines.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
sacloud

That sounds promising.. I am not going to race it, but want that something extra as far as HP and not have to build a race car to do it. I'm loving the fact that even now, I have 425 horses and still get 25 MPg on the highway. Something that was unheard of when I was in my early twenties. Back then, you had to lay down megabucks to even crack 300 HP and then, you had single digit mpg.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacloud View Post
That sounds promising.. I am not going to race it, but want that something extra as far as HP and not have to build a race car to do it. I'm loving the fact that even now, I have 425 horses and still get 25 MPg on the highway. Something that was unheard of when I was in my early twenties. Back then, you had to lay down megabucks to even crack 300 HP and then, you had single digit mpg.
I can run my dad's '11 Grand Sport with my supercharged L99..plus I love how the e-force looks under the hood. (Hell, who am I kidding - I love the looks of ANY of the superchargers! ) The nice thing about the coil covers on the E-force is that they are cast aluminum, not plastic. Impressive construction on the kit. And they dress up well!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Turbo, you don't lose as much power as going through a blower just cost twice as much
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
sacloud

Lots of great info, I appreciate it. I think I am going to lean towards the Edlebrock E-Force and really read the fine print on the warranty and chat with my SM about it. I think I will probably outfit with a set of long tubes for it to breathe all the way through. Like I said before, I don't really want a racecar, just something to set my SS apart and also not be intimidated by a 5.0 that pulls up without a snake logo.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanquisherSS View Post
A properly built SS with engine/suspension/drivetrain upgrades will wipe the floor with a ZL1, just saying.

and still have pocket change left
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
sacloud

Tags
supercharger