Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
Hondo

Drives: 20014 Camaro 1LE
1LE Tires??

Hi Guys,

What's a good set tires that I can buy for my 1LE. I live in Sydney Australia so dont see any snow at all. Something that I can use for normal daily driving all year, little worried about the existing ones in the wet.

Thanks
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #2
2ndtime

Drives: 2SS1LE
I have a 1LE and I have read that the Michelin AS3 and the PSS tires might be something worth looking into and like the factory tires are also a little pricey, but that's the price we pay for having the 1LE.....enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2ndtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
Mikey D

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
From what I have read, you might be looking for Michelin Pilot Super Sports. But search through and read these forums before dropping the $$, tons of info on tires. Cheers!
Mikey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Did a LOT of research on this...for a car that is daily-driven, and doesn't participate in a track day, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a good, sticky tire for daily service.

I'm sticking with the Goodyear for replacements next month, because I take the car to the track, AND daily drive it - so dedicated track tires are not an option. The Goodyears stay stickier, longer, during an HPDE.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #5
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Did a LOT of research on this...for a car that is daily-driven, and doesn't participate in a track day, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a good, sticky tire for daily service.

I'm sticking with the Goodyear for replacements next month, because I take the car to the track, AND daily drive it - so dedicated track tires are not an option. The Goodyears stay stickier, longer, during an HPDE.
Yeah, still disagree with you about Goodyears staying sticker, longer on the track than PSS, but everyone has their own opinion....
Old 04-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Daily drive the GY's in all types of weather. Have been doing it for almost two years (about 28000 miles, on our second set). Only had one hydroplane incident but it involved fairly high speeds in a very heavy rain, so have to assume responsibility for that, and the car acted very predictable and was able to get it back. No track time yet, but enjoy the sticky Goodyears and will stick with them.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
When the time comes for tires, I am planning on Michelin AS3 all season tires. My car is my DD and I don't have plans to track at this time.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
Hondo

Thanks for the info guys... very helpful. If anyone else have more to add pls post.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
PSS suck on the track, the F1 G2's are great, says my 18k of DD and 12 or so days at the track
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:55 PM   #10
Hondo

Guys, I still need some assistance in sorting out some tyres for my 1LE. I did have look for the tyres that was recommended to me on this post but they are not available here in Australia.

To re-cap, its my daily drive and something that suits dry or wet conditions. We don't get snow here so that's not an issues.

Also the current set that I have which is factory standard are Goodyear Eagle F1? Are these run flat tyers?

I went to few tyre shops and some have told my not to put on run flat tyres cause that will compromise the handling. Can anyone chime on this.

Most shops have recommended the Pirelli P Zero tyres. I believe these non run flat tyres. Any thoughts?
Old 05-15-2015, 06:37 AM   #11
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Without knowing what is available down under in OZ, it's a bit difficult to recommend. We're going by what we can get here. There has to be a business in Australia like Tire Rack or Discount Tire that you could search to see what's possible to get down there for your 1LE. BTW, Continental also makes a decent summer tyre and that's something you should be able to get in Australia. Cheers

Last edited by nancygrl; 05-15-2015 at 09:23 AM.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #12
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Guys, I still need some assistance in sorting out some tyres for my 1LE. I did have look for the tyres that was recommended to me on this post but they are not available here in Australia.

To re-cap, its my daily drive and something that suits dry or wet conditions. We don't get snow here so that's not an issues.

Also the current set that I have which is factory standard are Goodyear Eagle F1? Are these run flat tyers?

I went to few tyre shops and some have told my not to put on run flat tyres cause that will compromise the handling. Can anyone chime on this.

Most shops have recommended the Pirelli P Zero tyres. I believe these non run flat tyres. Any thoughts?
Check out the Continental ContiSportContact 5P or the ExtremeContact DW. The 5P will have stiffer sidewalls so would be my first suggestion. Seems to be a great high performance tire for daily driving. The DW is also great, but softer sidewalls so better for casual daily driving. I suggest those as you say you cannot get Michelins, and I know Conti's are the most popular tire in that category in Europe so maybe you can get them in Australia too.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #13
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
IMHO ,GM got the tires right for the 1LE . The down side is they wear fast , won't work in the cold or rain and will pick up ever screw, nail or road debris you drive near without fail . They are $100.00 each cheaper than the Mich PSS tires . So if you want Good Years you need to be carful with rain and cold and watch what you drive over . There is no free lunch , if you want the grip and price the Good Years are the tire for the 1LE for the time being.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:04 AM   #14
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
I have Nitto Invo's on mine and love them.