Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #1135
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
PQ:
I send IPS Brandon a note and showed him your pictures. While IPS is working on the rear suspension of my car, I asked if we should do something with the tie rods and control arms. I'll let you know what he says. (It will likely be tomorrow before he replies.)

Thanks for sharing those pictures. You may have saved several of us from a potential problem.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #1136
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

oh shit. thats not going to be a cheap/easy fix.

Quote:

My end links to my rear sway bars.

Well, the botton attachment to the arm. For some reason, it tore.....

I have it on stands to clean underneath and lower my tunnel brace, and I normaly look to see if I can see anytning. And ......... well............ I did.
stop looking for trouble...lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Thanks for sharing those pictures. You may have saved several of us from a potential problem.
he has a knack for that. I think he's taking too much after me and finding too many weak points with his car. lol

and Randy... I will be calling you in about 3 hours or so.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #1137
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
oh shit. thats not going to be a cheap/easy fix. Actually, the arms are only around 45.00 shipped, and I'm gonna take Pete up on his St. Jude donation offer. 50.00 should do it.

However, I am gonna buy some rear end links. Just don't know if I have to get Pfadt ones or not. I have Pfadt bars.

he has a knack for that. I think he's taking too much after me and finding too many weak points with his car. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
PQ:
I send IPS Brandon a note and showed him your pictures. While IPS is working on the rear suspension of my car, I asked if we should do something with the tie rods and control arms. I'll let you know what he says. (It will likely be tomorrow before he replies.)

Cool. Let me know what he says. This kinda sucks. I really enjoy working on the car, but I don't particularly like FIXING stuff.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:42 PM   #1138
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Actually, the arms are only around 45.00 shipped, and I'm gonna take Pete up on his St. Jude donation offer. 50.00 should do it.

However, I am gonna buy some rear end links. Just don't know if I have to get Pfadt ones or not. I have Pfadt bars.

its not the arms I was trying to get at. the mounting point where they ripped thru the stock metal thats going to be troublesome. unless you can talk to GM and have them pull one of those pieces off the line and mail to you to have it replaced.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 03-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #1139
wex777

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible
What size are the front tires on this car?

Nice looking set up. I have a few questions because I am looking to upgrade to 22's but want as much meat on them as possible.

Did you have any issues with rubbing?
Did you have to do any mods to get the 315's to fit?
What size are your front tires?
In retrospect, could you have gone with a larger tires (more meat) if so which ones?

Thanks,

Eric
wex777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:51 PM   #1140
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Is this where it snapped?
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #1141
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
its not the arms I was trying to get at. the mounting point where they ripped thru the stock metal thats going to be troublesome. unless you can talk to GM and have them pull one of those pieces off the line and mail to you to have it replaced.
I can just buy the whole control arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wex777 View Post
Nice looking set up. I have a few questions because I am looking to upgrade to 22's but want as much meat on them as possible.

Did you have any issues with rubbing?
Did you have to do any mods to get the 315's to fit?
What size are your front tires?
In retrospect, could you have gone with a larger tires (more meat) if so which ones?

Thanks,

Eric
I wouldn't call it an 'Upgrade' per se' but more of a cosmetic mod. The performance loss is a killer.

But, no I didn't have to mod anything. Tire size on the front is 265/30 rear is 315/25 and if you want no fitment ussues, you need to buy them custom made for your car or at least from someone knowlegable of the 5th Gen Camaro. NineBall here on the forums can help you. No. You don't want more meat on 22s. Computer issue, possible fitment issue, and even more wieght. If you're worried about more meat, get 20s. Though 22s look fantastic on the Camaro, the performance loss is significant. Make up your mind what's important. Because you can't have it both ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Is this where it snapped?
Right on top of the bolt. The sheet metal broke and tore through to the top edge.

Name:  camaro_ss+independent_rear_suspension%20break[1].jpg
Views: 263
Size:  37.0 KB
Old 03-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #1142
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Do you think this broke because of the increased torque? Or have you been driving it hard cornering etc..... Definitely something we will all have to take a look at if we have increase power on our cars.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #1143
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
I can just buy the whole control arm.

Attachment 218644
yeah, I got confused as to what the picture was when I first looked at it. At first I thought it was a structural mount on the frame, not on the control arm.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #1144
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Do you think this broke because of the increased torque? Or have you been driving it hard cornering etc..... Definitely something we will all have to take a look at if we have increase power on our cars.

PQ mentioned in one of his previous posts that he lost the nut that bolts the endlink to the control arm. The hole probably got elongated from the nut being missing, which allowed the endlink to continue moving in there.. till something gave way. (That's My guess as to why)

It is something that should be checked quite often on these cars, especially if you do any kind of performance driving. Not just the endlink nuts, but everything in the suspension.

I made a habit of checking everything continually, as I race mine quite often. If I'm not racing, I am adjusting/tweaking/upgrading something underneath.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #1145
Da Hose
ACCOUNT HOZED BY GN......

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS #26731
Just needed to come in here and fling a booger on your windshield!!!

I'd bet $100 that you smile like that all the time, even in your sleep... and you don't snore when you sleep, you giggle.

Da Hose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #1146
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600hp-lpe View Post
PQ mentioned in one of his previous posts that he lost the nut that bolts the endlink to the control arm. The hole probably got elongated from the nut being missing, which allowed the endlink to continue moving in there.. till something gave way. (That's My guess as to why)

It is something that should be checked quite often on these cars, especially if you do any kind of performance driving. Not just the endlink nuts, but everything in the suspension.

I made a habit of checking everything continually, as I race mine quite often. If I'm not racing, I am adjusting/tweaking/upgrading something underneath.
OK I really don't race mine and I only have 463 to the wheels but I did notice one picture where it looked like the top had a crack in it and not just elongated. I did notify the shop who installed my suspension parts so that they could be on the look out for such things as well.

I wonder if you could add another piece to the stock piece in essence making it twice as thick if that would help strengthen this area.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #1147
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Not sure. I'm not even sure how long it's been broken. All I know is I've had trouble with it before. And now it's broke.

I was just now in a store where it's a steep grade, and I had to turn hard while going down the grade and at the point the car was twisted the most, it popped bad from back on the right side where the broken part is.

Then it dawned on me........ the 'backfire' I thought I was hearing when my wheels broke loose is that broken end link braket peice. So now I know. Pete is sending me another arm. Sucks becasue now I gotta get the rear alighned again. And I still have to inspect the other side to make sure it isn't ovaling out.

Quote:
yeah, I got confused as to what the picture was when I first looked at it. At first I thought it was a structural mount on the frame, not on the control arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600hp-lpe View Post

Any time I'm under it I try and find something broke. It had been a month or two since I was under it last. And sure enough, there it was. It drives just fine. Shows how tame I drive normally. I never noticed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Hose View Post
Just needed to come in here and fling a booger on your windshield!!!
Name:  10.gif
Views: 212
Size:  845 Bytes

Last edited by PQ; 03-21-2011 at 02:00 PM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #1148
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
OK I really don't race mine and I only have 463 to the wheels but I did notice one picture where it looked like the top had a crack in it and not just elongated. I did notify the shop who installed my suspension parts so that they could be on the look out for such things as well.

I wonder if you could add another piece to the stock piece in essence making it twice as thick if that would help strengthen this area.
Or just buy aftermarket arms.

I need an aftermarket Camaro.....

Tags
camaro of the week, the circle