Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!

Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Detailed review, with pics. Muffler Delete on my 1SS/LS3

Just had a local muffler shop cut off my jerry can's.

Total Cost 108.00 with labor.
Time: 1 hour

Initial impression.... was jaw dropping. THIS is how my car should sound. My friend who drives a full bolt on (minus LT's) GT500 was also picking his jaw up off the ground.

Basically the entire shop, plus anyone who was waiting for their cars came to listen. Everyone was impressed. I had the tech rev it up to about 4k and it sounds nice and throaty, with a slight pop as the RPM's fall.

The shop employees asked me if they would hear my car as I drove off... I happily obliged them. Pulling onto a 55mph road I let it rip and WOW the car sounds like an animal. I had expected it to sound rough and raspy. Not the case. It growled up to 5k rpm, shifted to 2nd, got on it again and still roaring. Hopefully they got an earful, because working on the car seemed to be the highlight of their day.

I had a 60 mile drive home, both highway and some in town driving. On 55mph highways I hover around 63 mph. (slightly over 2k rpm in 5th gear) The in cabin sound was slightly louder than normal, but not unpleasant. I bought this car for a total experience and that includes the sound. At interstate speeds (cruise set to 75mph, 6th gear, slightly above 1500 RPM) I could not discern any difference from the sound of the stock mufflers in comparison to my muffler delete. VERY impressed. Oh, and no drone to report as of yet.

Decel popping:
Yes, there is significant decel popping, especially in town when there is a large amount of stop and go. I actually enjoy the rough popping sound, it reminds me of an old school hotrod however I can see how some folks would be annoyed by it.

I have a feeling my fiancee will hate the decel popping so I will likely do what I can to avoid it when she is in the car (which is not that often.)

The best part of this mod is the sound under hard acceleration, startup, and idle. It just sounds mean. Not obnoxiously loud, but definitely mean. The plus side: At low rpms (I.e. driving down my street at 1 AM, or highway cruising) the car purrs like a kitten, and is not offensive in any way.

Appearance:
I will post pictures a bit later. Things to note: They did a very nice, clean job with the cuts and welds. They took their time and double checked the fitment and placement. It was obvious to me that they cared about what they were doing. I had them use the stock tips, and they look great. Even better: No more unsightly "gas can" mufflers visible behind my diffuser. Now just clean pipe and suspension. I LOVE IT.

Weight savings: probably about 40lbs.

HP/TQ increase? I don't have access to a dyno, nor am I inclined to visit one until I do further modifications.

Butt Dyno: Completely anectdoal, and means nothing to anyone but me really........it felt faster LOL probably my ears playing tricks on my perception of speed, but hey, I don't drag race, nor street race. If I percieve it to be faster......good enough for me. For now.

The downsides:
It may not pass inspection in NYS. However I did leave the resonators intact, as well as the rest of the exhaust from the axle forward. I have heard that the resonators can "qualify" as a muffler. However it seems to be a stretch. We will see how it goes in a year or so when I have to go for inspection. In the meantime, I did save my stock mufflers just in case.

The decel pop definitely isn't for everyone. I don't mind it. At some point (when my warranty goes poof and I do a tune/LT's) I plan on doing a catback anyway.

Yes, it was inexpensive. I know it's a thirty thousand dollar car. However at this time, it seemed stupid for me to drop 500 to 1000 dollars on an exhaust when all I wanted was the exact sound that I got for 100.00 Save the lectures Would I like a Borla ATAK catback? Or a SW chambered Catback? Sure! But my 3 kids want lot's of toys, and my fiancee wants our house remodeled. As far as bang for your buck goes, this mod is amazing, and I would recommend it to anyone looking to improve the sound of their SS.

Last edited by TSSUNAMI; 05-04-2011 at 01:47 PM.
TSSUNAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
+1

This is the best bang for the buck mod. I love the fact that its loud when you want it and quiet when cruising.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
TSSUNAMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73camarolt View Post
+1

This is the best bang for the buck mod. I love the fact that its loud when you want it and quiet when cruising.

This was a huge selling point for me. I get to choose when I want to unleash the sound. I live in a quiet neighborhood and I return home from work fairly late. I didn't want to become a nuisance to my neighbors.

Now what mod to do next? Vararam CAI or maybe an x-pipe? Hmmm....
Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone★ColdNuts View Post

This was a huge selling point for me. I get to choose when I want to unleash the sound. I live in a quiet neighborhood and I return home from work fairly late. I didn't want to become a nuisance to my neighbors.

Now what mod to do next? Vararam CAI or maybe an x-pipe? Hmmm....
Yea i live in a culdesac and my neighbor is the captain of police so i try to be some what quiet lol. I actually bought my car with the muffler delete and was suprised when he first started it up. I am doing a roto-fab CAI next and maybe an x-pipe down the road.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
TSSUNAMI

my lady is getting me hockey stripes for my birthday so technically that is my next mod. Xpipe will be cheaper but im really loving the idea of the vararam now that they worked out the low rpm issues.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
cybergrayls3

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs..m6..CGM
Cool! I'm glad you like it..I think the popping on decel is sweet
cybergrayls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
champ22

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro 1SS 1LE
Thanks to the OP for this extensive review of the muffler delete. I have recently been wavering on whether to do the muffler delete or get the Flowmaster AT Cat back. You have sold me on doing the muffler delete and with doing that, I can also go ahead and order my CAI Intake.
champ22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
Bay Area SS

Drives: 2010 rs/2ss
Cool set up. I have been calling around shops tryin to get this done myself, nobody really seems to be any help with doing it, and nobody has a mandrel bender. So I just got a good deal on SLP Loudmouth
Bay Area SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
TSSUNAMI

Updated, with pics.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
Kman 2011 ss

Drives: '04vette- '11-1SS '11-1LS(wifes)
How about a video so we can hear how they sound?
Thanks.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #11
TSSUNAMI

i will try to post up a vid but they dont do it justice. there is a great vid with a black SS on youtube. i will try to find it later.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
GARYSSS

Drives: 2010 2SSRS M6 Rally Yellow
Thumbs up

I think the Muffler delete sounds great. Just like you the sound I wanted at a great price. Spend a few minutes painting your pipes black from the axle back and you won't see anything underneath, just your exhaust tips.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
TSSUNAMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARYSSS View Post
I think the Muffler delete sounds great. Just like you the sound I wanted at a great price. Spend a few minutes painting your pipes black from the axle back and you won't see anything underneath, just your exhaust tips.

I hadn't thought about doing that, although I do like the look of the exhaust piping along with the rear suspension. Beats the hell out of those gas cans.

A friend was with me and he couldn't believe how big those stock mufflers were. They now rest peacefully in my shed, in case I need them to pass state inspection.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #14
TSSUNAMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman 2011 ss View Post
How about a video so we can hear how they sound?
Thanks.

This is NOT my car. However I have probably watched EVERY video on youtube of an LS3 Camaro with a muffler delete. Out of all of them, this one most accurately depicts the sound.