Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatter69 View Post
Key Fob Fix
Misplaced one of my keys and never found it. Ordered a new one ($50). Dealer wanted 1 hour labor ($50) to reprogram or sync the buttons to my car. Found the below fix online and 2 minutes time I was done!

April 15th, 2010 at 4:33 pm, Andrew Hughes Says:
1. Close all vehicle doors.
2. Insert the key into the ignition.
3. Hold down the power UNLOCK button on the driver’s door panel(CENTER FOR US CAMARO OWNERS)-continue to hold
down until instructed to release in step 9.
4. Perform steps 5 through 8 in fairly rapid succession.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (as far as you can go without starting the
engine).
6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
8. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
9. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The vehicle will lock and unlock
the doors automatically.
10. Hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously until
the door locks and unlocks.
This step may take up to 30 seconds.
11. Repeat step 10 NOW for each additional transmitter (including any existing
transmitters).
12. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming
mode.

Hatter69 2010 LT1 Black #366
This is a general way to reprogram keys. Does not work in the camaro. Easiest way to find out how to program a key fob is to read the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.nite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
In case my dealer tries to charge too much where can I buy key fob online?
I would also like to know this. + where can I place a order for laser cutting online?
They come precut, when you order you give them your VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojojojo7176 View Post
Ok so a little off topic...But I read somewhere that someone had bought a used key fob on ebay and was able to reprogram it. So my question is do all of our keys come cut the same ?
Hatter69 when you ordered the other key fob, did you do it from a dealership so it came cut already or what ?
Sorry for being confused on the matter.
No the keys are not cut the same, when you buy them they come precut. You supply them with your VIN.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #16
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
There are dealers than can cut the key for you. I had mine cut for 20 bux. Took them like 5 minutes.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #17
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Glad to see everything worked our for you owsego. If anyone else is having issues with their keys let me know.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #18
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Jeff, I have a little bit of a different quandary. My 2010 was purchased as a repossession and only came with one key. I was able to order the new fob / laser cut key without any problems and my sales rep at the dealership I've been working with reprogrammed the new fob. I know, so whats the problem. I verified through the originating dealer that car was delivered with two fobs but am worried that the original owner still has that fob. What can I do to ensure the car cannot be accessed by that missing fob?

Last edited by WiSSDiver; 10-27-2011 at 10:36 PM.
WiSSDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
This worked. Took 10 secs ..maybe less.

A few web site have the keyfob for around $46. Got mine 3 days and did this last night. Got the key laser cut at a dealer for $20.
yep, no problem Rogan, glad it worked and saved you a few dollars

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint

Last edited by jshaf; 10-14-2015 at 09:41 PM.
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #20
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
yep, no problem Rogan, glad it workded and saved you a few dollars
dollars saved are like dollars made.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #21
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
dollars saved are like dollars made.
always looking for a way to get what I want as least expensive as I can, always a new mod around the corner so you gotta stretch that budget

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #22
carls2010

Drives: 2006 Corvette
yes, i have a spare key/fob from my R/S, And tried to see if i could at least get fob programed..--guess dealer can only do ??????????????? and no dealer here in NY I FOUND YET TO CUT A NEW ONE.--- ????????? IS There any updates if we can program our pods ourselfs ??????
carls2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #23
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by carls2010 View Post
yes, i have a spare key/fob from my R/S, And tried to see if i could at least get fob programed..--guess dealer can only do ??????????????? and no dealer here in NY I FOUND YET TO CUT A NEW ONE.--- ????????? IS There any updates if we can program our pods ourselfs ??????
I had got a new key fob for 40 something online shipped and programmed it with the methods in here. Then got the key cut from a dealer for 10 or 20 bux...can't remember exactly.

I did something similar for my C5 Corvette and Explorer. I think you are doing something wrong if you can't get it programmed.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #24
carls2010

I DID THE PROCEDURE OF .-Doors closed.,,key in [off] ,, held down unlock button on center of dash,then very quick turned key --on/off/on/off.--reliesed the unlock button[dash]------------ tho;s instruction said veh, would then lock then unlock the door's,,automaticaly, ---Then to hold down lock and unlock on remote at same time for say up to 30 sec's . then repeat for each additional pod i may have.--- WHen i get to the release unlock button the doors do not cycle thru from lock to lock ???? tried about 20 times and got no where, and did the key on and off fast as possable
Old 04-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #25
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Quote:
I DID THE PROCEDURE OF .-Doors closed.,,key in [off] ,, held down unlock button on center of dash,then very quick turned key --on/off/on/off.--reliesed the unlock button[dash]------------ tho;s instruction said veh, would then lock then unlock the door's,,automaticaly, ---Then to hold down lock and unlock on remote at same time for say up to 30 sec's . then repeat for each additional pod i may have.--- WHen i get to the release unlock button the doors do not cycle thru from lock to lock ???? tried about 20 times and got no where, and did the key on and off fast as possable
hmmmmm...sounds like something is wrong with the fob. Do you have new batteries?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #26
carls2010

its been sitting for about 1 year THAT WAS FROM MY NEW[R/S] ---ILL try battery and see if it works---worked fine when i traded in the r/s
Old 04-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Quote:
its been sitting for about 1 year THAT WAS FROM MY NEW[R/S] ---ILL try battery and see if it works---worked fine when i traded in the r/s
You can switch the batteries between the FOBs you have now and see if the one working unlocks the car. That might be quicker than putting batteries in and going through the whole procedure.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #28
carls2010

ill try, but it seems it wouldnt be battery problem as when i release the lock button on dash it does NOT cycle the lock's like it suppose to ???[as posted] -- like it is in program mode ????, Seems like its not entering program mode ?? ------------Just swaped batterys, -not battery