Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #57
Vulpine
'the Outcast'

Drives: N/A
Exclamation WARNING...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
So, all these supercharged cars like the ZL1 and GT500 both putting out great power, should there be many problems with te stock cars for future customers? I would assume so, because there running stock cats and not even high flows.
Exactly what I was thinking when I started reading this thread. Wonder what would happen if it is a major issue that has just started to show its fugly head.
Vulpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #58
Vulpine
'the Outcast'

Question Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Most Cat Converters are Sized and designed around the Cubic inches of the Engine.

In this case 6.2 Liters, they will live a Happy and Productive Life.

Add a Supercharger with Say 7-8 PSI they 6.2 Liter Engine just became 9.3 Liters which far exceeds the Cat Design which causes Overheating and Failure.

The Cats need to be Double they're current Size to handle the Additional cubic inches.

Ted.
I read your reply and wanted to know being in the performance business do you know of such types of cats for a larger engine to work with the setup for the 2010-12 Camaro exhaust? I have not looked anywhere yet but have just read through this thread and started to wonder about it.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #59
Vulpine
'the Outcast'

Arrow WoW...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAT View Post
Lol, thanks man. That sounds easy enough.
Thats a relief...I thought for a second he was going to compare it to a button fly or velcro!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #60
Blacknight11

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS
HF Cats

After reading this I need to do something so what are my options? Besides gutting the cats, if i put the oem cats and exhaust back on will I be okay. I know it will cost me HP but how much?
Blacknight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #61
TCAT

Drives: Has Wheels
I don't really really think there are any options besides going with mid pipes without cats, but that's for off-road and illegal. If you were to put the stock cats on, I would assume they may blow out even quicker, but don't know.

Anyone know if the stock cats last less time than the high flows in terms of longevity on boosted vehicles, or are the stock cats more robust?
TCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #62
Camaro21

Drives: SOLD - 2013 M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloMoCamaro View Post
This is a common problem seen with hp levels starting about 600. So if your there, you might as well gut the cats and avoid any issues...
Camaro21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #63
gearhead440

Drives: Yellow 2SS, 6 speed manual
OK, after reading this thread I was, to put it lightly, officially freaked. For my wife's M6 Eforce Camaro, with JRE fuel upgrade and injectors, stock cats, hand ported and ceramic coated exhaust manifolds (by me), Thunder Racing V3 cam, Vmax ported TB, and tune, we have coaxed 585 RWHP. I dont consider myself an expert on internal combustion engines by any means but I do read alot and implement what I read in an engineering fashion. As the "gearhead of the office" this completely caught me off guard. I have encouraged a fellow co-worker down the 2010 Camaro FI road along with myself, have advised G8 owners on viable performance options and am currently assisting a grad student in his studies and understanding of internal combustion engines with regards to cam timing, head flow, CR, etc.
I think that Ted said it best with FI = more "effective" cubic inches than stock.
Bottom line is that I ordered the JBA non-catted straight pipe to replace the cats that are currently installed.
I have noticed that the car "just doesn't seem to have to power that it used to have". Although we all suffer from this mallady, the car does truly seem to have lost power and has only been driven 2k miles since the SC/cam install. Once the pipes arrive this week (hopefully), I will post pics of what I'm removing in order to circumvent a potentially catastrophic outcome.
Thanks.

Hers & His
gearhead440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #64
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
I've had my Magnaflow High Flow Cats on along with my Maggie for the past 20,000 miles. I had my exhaust guy check my cats for burnout per Ten Jannetty's advice and all was clear. No damage at the time. I'll continue to check them annually to be safe. I'm about 550rwhp. Keeping my fingers crossed. We'll see. No opinion here.
2010/2SS/RS/6L80E/Mast built LS3 416 Stroker/Black Lable Heads/Blower Cam/Jannetty Tuned/ 685rwhp/635tq/KookHeaders/3"exhaust/Magnaflows/Whipple Blower/10lbs bst/Duel pumps/85lb inj/2 gauge pillar/CAI/RX catch can/Vmax ported TB/Lexani LX15s/Pedders sub F bushings inserts/Pedders sport extreme coilovers/ZL1 sway bars/Hotchkis strut tower brace/Hawk brake pads/stainless steel brake lines/CTV front calibers/slotted rotors 15"/1 pc drive shaft & loop/hidden radar-laser detect/rear louvers/terminator hood/ SS mats/black outs/Bowties/GM GFX kit/blade spoiler/deading matting/wolf art/
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 AM   #65
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
I called ARH to ask them about this, since they make high flow cats. I talked with Mike, and he said that it was really up to the tune. Too rich, and they will burn up. However, it seems to me that Ted is right also. It is probably a combination of the two. If you have more volume, you'll have more heat. If you have more excess fuel, you'll have more heat.

I would like a safe catted solution. I don't see that happening real soon since nobody is working on a solution.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 AM   #66
djamphi555

Drives: Camaro 2010
Sorry to butt in. Are the stock cats on the ZL-1 the same cats on the SS? If they are than that is a safe bet they are of a much better quality than these Hi-Flow cats that are burning up. Correct me if I am wrong.
So, 5-9 PSI is safe, more you need mid-pipes?
djamphi555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:58 AM   #67
Big Daddy Kane

Drives: Red 1SS
I talked to Kooks about this. They said their cats will hold up to supercharged applications. Said they've installed superchargers on camaor's with their exhaust. Has anyone had any problems with the Kooks high flow cats?

Kooks LT Headers/catback exhaust, E-force supercharger, JRE fuel line upgrade, JRE differential, 3.91 LPE gears, Roto-fab intake, JRE tune, DSS Carbon Fiber driveshaft, MGW shifter, Hotchkis chassis braces
Big Daddy Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #68
Zman12

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Kane View Post
I talked to Kooks about this. They said their cats will hold up to supercharged applications. Said they've installed superchargers on camaor's with their exhaust. Has anyone had any problems with the Kooks high flow cats?
From what I have seen most issues have been with Kooks. That is what I have on mine and I will be taking them off, I do not want to take any chances, I talked to the guy yesterday that had tuned my car, and he recommended removing them and said it would not affect my tune, just mak the car a little louder.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #69
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Kane View Post
We have seen several sets of Kooks Cats Fail with superchargers.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #70
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
We have seen several sets of Kooks Cats Fail with superchargers.
Bummer... I might not have spent the extra cash knowing this "might" happen even though I'm not going for much more HP than I have now. :( Seems like an asterisk is needed on these HF cats when FI is involved.
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote