Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 12-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #43
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
You guys have driven the Pirelli's in cold weather haven't you? They are a summer tire also and I can't see them being any worse then those found on the ZL1. Just keep an eye on the tire pressure when you're driving. I keep my DIC set to speedo and can push the button and check my tire pressure.

Leaving work Saturday morning it was 29* and my P Zero's were as slick as roller skates when I was taking a cloverleaf onramp to the freeway. Nothing worse than turning your steering wheel and having your car continue in a straight line. It felt like it was taking forever before it would grab and then I had to pull my shorts out of a puckered up poop chute.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #44
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels

Drives: '17 Jet Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
...and if/when YOU end up in a ditch (or worse!), kindly reflect on YOUR post, above...before you sue GM and/or Goodyear...

THAT, my friend, is the REAL "message"...
Is that directed at me?

I've been driving long enough in sub-freezing temps and snow to know the limitations of what I'm driving, the conditions, how to adjust, and when it's prudent to drive an "alternate vehicle", so I'm not sure where the ditch comment came from.

And as far as the "sue GM and/or Goodyear" comment, you obviously don't know me, because if you did, you'd know that I don't play that crap and am willing take responsibility for my actions.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:11 AM   #45
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
There's a HUGE difference between "Can you?" and "SHOULD YOU?!"

http://ca.autoblog.com/2011/12/12/ho...-winter-tires/
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #46
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron66Vette&10SS View Post
But all of this talk of putting on different tires & wheels for when it gets below 40*...........seriously???
Seriously, yes.... What is wrong with taking that extra precaution to be a little bit safer?

I changed out the wife's tires a few weeks ago and after having my truck dance around yesterday I will be changing out it's tires today (That was with no ice on the road).
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #47
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I think that people who are concerned about the tire practicality of a ZL1 are unlikely to purchase a ZL1 in the first place.
for the most part ture, I perosnally will be getting a ZL1 and i live city thats cold half of the year, so tire practicality is a concern. needless to say the car will be storage those 6months, but there are times when its cold in the morning or cold at night where worse can happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
I don't mean to flame you - but unless you are a tire engineer, please be careful of making proclamations.
Why would we "stick (sp) with the michelins" on a car with the capabilities that the ZL1 has to offer?
further -- you may find that the "Michelins" (20 inch tires) aren't the best tire at zero degrees F. -- they're performance tires.
All should be fine in terms of shipping.
No harm done. I'm not a tire engineer by any means but understand the coumpounds of rubber and how internal temp and external temp can affect the rubber compound.
I personally never liked goodyear tires, soo the factory tires wont be on for long. I personally though you guys would have thrown the sport cups on there, that would have really complemented the MRS and chassis. o well its still a heck of a car, and cant wait for it to be in my possesion.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #48
Brad02SS

Drives: 02 35th LE SS, 08 G8 GT
The issue isn't Goodyear, it's the compound of Ultra High-Performance tires. The sticky rubber at warmer temps doesn't do well when cold. I've had Dunlop and now Kumho tires with soft rubber. In 50 deg weather they start losing their grip, get them down in the 30's-40's and they become rock-hard so I can see damage occurring if you hit something uneven in the pavement. Moving them around a parking/shipping area at low speed shouldn't be a problem, a pot hole at 70mph could be bad. I wouldn't worry about shipping issues but if you plan to drive your ZL1 in cold temps get a spare set of tires.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #49
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
This just arrived by e-mail, unsolicited...

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-ct-200h-video

At 15 mph, quite a difference...50% in stopping difference.

Just imagine the stats @ hiway speeds!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #50
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I was just checking into availability of replacement tires. Looks like at this point in time, it will be a lot worse than getting P-Zero's two years a go. Also the price looks like it should be around $600 a piece based on existing sizes available.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #51
tfghung

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
so babying the tires is not enough

road hazards will be costly

corner specific tires so rotating will not help longevity

oh well, you gotta pay to play, I guess

Any other reputable brands available? Maybe in time there will be more choices
tfghung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #52
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
I think that people who are concerned about the tire practicality of a ZL1 are unlikely to purchase a ZL1 in the first place.
If the commentary on the site is any indicator, then I doubt many will see much, if any real track time and will be garage queens and "fair weather" only cars... Never seeing clouds, rain, etc. Sure, they'll drive aggressively here and there -- but, I think many of them won't see acceleration or demand greater than an SS or an LT/LS and this whole tire temp range thing will only truly bother a small few that actually intend to demand what this car can deliver. I know people with Lambos that spend less time in a garage than 5th gen Camaros.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #53
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I know people with Lambos that spend less time in a garage than 5th gen Camaros.
Now that's funny!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #54
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
If the commentary on the site is any indicator, then I doubt many will see much, if any real track time and will be garage queens and "fair weather" only cars... Never seeing clouds, rain, etc. Sure, they'll drive aggressively here and there -- but, I think many of them won't see acceleration or demand greater than an SS or an LT/LS and this whole tire temp range thing will only truly bother a small few that actually intend to demand what this car can deliver. I know people with Lambos that spend less time in a garage than 5th gen Camaros.
Not to be an A-Hole, but what are the odds of seeing acceleration or demand greater than an SS or and LT / LS in any weather other than "fair" or better?

I plan on enjoying every minute of my ZL1 driving experience. I don't know about you but I don't thoroughly enjoy driving in the rain or snow regardless of the vehicle. IMO there is nothing wrong with driving this car only in good weather if you have the choice. That is when you have the best opportunity to use it to its full potential. I don’t ever recall anyone’s best lap time or ¼ mile being set in anything other than dry conditions.

That’s not to say if it starts raining I’m going to pull over and hide under an overpass but why drive in the rain if I can avoid it?

dougshelbyengineering.com

www.facebook.com/dougshelbyengineering

www.instagram.com/dougshelbyengineering
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #55
HumanWiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
Not to be an A-Hole, but what are the odds of seeing acceleration or demand greater than an SS or and LT / LS in any weather other than "fair" or better?

I plan on enjoying every minute of my ZL1 driving experience. I don't know about you but I don't thoroughly enjoy driving in the rain or snow regardless of the vehicle. IMO there is nothing wrong with driving this car only in good weather if you have the choice. That is when you have the best opportunity to use it to its full potential. I don’t ever recall anyone’s best lap time or ¼ mile being set in anything other than dry conditions.

That’s not to say if it starts raining I’m going to pull over and hide under an overpass but why drive in the rain if I can avoid it?
I'm just having some fun....

I hate having these damn summer tires when it's winter and when it's summer I don't think they're "summer enough"..

I grew up lower middle class and a lot of my friends were upper lower class (financially speaking only)... so, when they all started messing around with cars, they were used, 5 different colors and usually a fox body 'stang. There was no "not driving it in the rain/on the beach/ through the mud" concept with us.. It didn't snow where I was at, but it did hail -- that was about the only thing they'd get irritated with... We all just drove the piss out of our cars and knew that they weren't going to have good paint, dingless body or fully matching pieces... But, man, was it ever a fun time.. No worrying about the door dings, where to park, that spot of mud on the fender, those inches of rubber in the fender areas, etc. We did all our work ourselves in the backyard.. etc... etc..

It's just all stuck with me since then.. I was lucky and my stuff was newer, but not brand new... So, to fit in, I just did like they did and drove mine just as hard --- we didn't abuse the cars like slamming doors, sitting on roofs, etc... but, they certainly weren't pampered.

Man, those were the days.. Working on cars only took some wrenches, screw drivers and some ball peen motivators... instead of multiple Ph Ds in computer science and several electrical engineering degrees.

To me.. seeing a car like this sitting in a garage most its life not being enjoyed is like that one person living in a 700 sq/ft apartment with a St. Bernard..
Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #56
HumanWiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
You guys have driven the Pirelli's in cold weather haven't you? They are a summer tire also and I can't see them being any worse then those found on the ZL1. Just keep an eye on the tire pressure when you're driving. I keep my DIC set to speedo and can push the button and check my tire pressure.

Leaving work Saturday morning it was 29* and my P Zero's were as slick as roller skates when I was taking a cloverleaf onramp to the freeway. Nothing worse than turning your steering wheel and having your car continue in a straight line. It felt like it was taking forever before it would grab and then I had to pull my shorts out of a puckered up poop chute.
Drove all last winter on them--- Snow, sleet, ice, etc...

They most certainly do turn in to greased up hockey pucks... Science keeps looking for frictionless materials... Well, this is pretty damn close.

I'd think the ZL1's tire will have more issues with the temps, snow, ice, etc. than our PZeros due to them being even more aggressive than ours... but, that's just my guess... We'll just have to see how they do for the ones that will attempt to run it that way.

I won't do it again.. Not with these mods... It was barely manageable on the stock power with an LS3...

I'm not getting a ZL1, but I know a few here in the Chicago area that plan on it and they already have tire storage solutions ready to go and none of them intend to drive it in the winter I believe.