Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
hiddenangels89

Drives: 2012 SS Camaro L99
Where to start?

So just recently we started to feel the swaying and the loose feel of stock SS suspension... it's still decent while normal driving, but at the track I want to look into what will help most efficiently / effectively...

Where should i "start" with suspension? (we're only at 30k miles). but go to the drag strip a bit here and there; sitting at close to 500rwhp with auto trans.
hiddenangels89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
aFe POWER

Drives: Camaro
Well it really depends on what your really wanting to do. Usually lowering your car will help abit either racing on the road courses or on the drag strip with weight transfer.

I know some solid subframe bushings will help with hard launches at the drags, while getting upgraded trailing arms and tie rod ends help eliminate deflection or movement in the suspension. The trailing arms/tie rod ends do help in both worlds, with also being lighter your suspension moves freely and letting it not bind and just react quicker to sudden steering inputs.

If i would have to say whats the best balance for improvement i would say the rear trailing arms and tie rod end upgrades. We do sell these for the camaro too, if you are anyone else is interested.
aFe POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #3
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Here are the main areas to address in the 5th gen suspension:

Sway bars
Endlinks
Spring + Dampers or coilovers
Trailing arms w/ outer knuckle bushings
Toe links
Cradle/subframe bushings
Upper control arm bushings
Front radius arm inserts

There are many options to choose from depending on your goals with the car. Feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions and I'll be happy to assist you further.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy
I know you might not want to hear this, but you need to decide what you want to set the car up for, Track or Drag. They require different things. Once we know which way you want to concentrate we can better help.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
hiddenangels89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@WretchedMS View Post
I know you might not want to hear this, but you need to decide what you want to set the car up for, Track or Drag. They require different things. Once we know which way you want to concentrate we can better help.
Specifically drag; however with a touch of daily use. As much fun road racing would be, i've never been and waking up at 6am to drive 2-3 hours away isn't as appealing to me as the 1/4 mile.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:43 PM   #6
Rob@WretchedMS

ok,
Before we get in to this, i would ask that you make sure you NEVER attend a track day at a road course. You may have a different opinion after 2+ hours of track time, lol

My opinion may or may not have anything to do with me sucking at drag racing, allegedly.

1. Moving to a Coilover with a stiffer rear spring rate will be a good start, Preventing the rear from squatting and gaining too much negative camber will help you with traction issues off the line. If you can get a double adjustable coilover setup that will allow you to adjust the rebound and compression separately that would be ideal since you can control them better.

2. Rear Subframe Bushings will help with the feel of the car, as well as the reaction of the chassis, Bushing inserts should not be an option for you, solid poly would be my recommendation.

3. Upgrading the rear lower control arm, trailing arm, and toe link (be it replacing the arms or bushings) would help with the flex of the wheels under acceleration, as well as wheel hop.

4. Larger Rear Swaybar will help in keeping the car stable, but i'd stick with the stock front swaybar.

5. Front bushings will not help you much for drag racing, but you may want to upgrade the radius arm bushings (i'd recommend leaving the front lower control arm bushings stock, the rearward of the front arms.)
Old 03-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #7
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
What power mods do you have planned?
What tires are you running now?
Panning to change to drag radials, slicks maybe skinnies?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
hiddenangels89

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
What power mods do you have planned?
What tires are you running now?
Panning to change to drag radials, slicks maybe skinnies?
future power mods planned are ID850's, ZL1 pump, small SC pulley, Cam (Tbd) - something to get me into the range of 580-600rwhp.

tires i currently have are streets - vred's 315/35r20 in rear 275/40r20 up front. plans for a drag radial on an 18" wheel in the future, but no slicks or skinnies up front ever planned (not dedicated enough).

I do want a sense of daily driveability maintained, meaning 30 miles each way to work and back if wanted, since on occasion i do drive it daily. so i don't want super stiff or anything that is going to make it unbearable.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #9
hiddenangels89

Quote:
ok,
Before we get in to this, i would ask that you make sure you NEVER attend a track day at a road course. You may have a different opinion after 2+ hours of track time, lol
Ha, yeah, i definately know my opinion would change if i did go to track day at a road course; had a few opportunities and did not take them, i'm a creature of habit so know that when these opportunities arise in the future, i'll more than likely not go.

Quote:
My opinion may or may not have anything to do with me sucking at drag racing, allegedly.

1. Moving to a Coilover with a stiffer rear spring rate will be a good start, Preventing the rear from squatting and gaining too much negative camber will help you with traction issues off the line. If you can get a double adjustable coilover setup that will allow you to adjust the rebound and compression separately that would be ideal since you can control them better.

2. Rear Subframe Bushings will help with the feel of the car, as well as the reaction of the chassis, Bushing inserts should not be an option for you, solid poly would be my recommendation.

3. Upgrading the rear lower control arm, trailing arm, and toe link (be it replacing the arms or bushings) would help with the flex of the wheels under acceleration, as well as wheel hop.

4. Larger Rear Swaybar will help in keeping the car stable, but i'd stick with the stock front swaybar.

5. Front bushings will not help you much for drag racing, but you may want to upgrade the radius arm bushings (i'd recommend leaving the front lower control arm bushings stock, the rearward of the front arms.)
Is this a specific order? Is there a (here it is...) cost effective order vs performance order?

So for instance, say someone said you could do 1 upgrade and only 1 upgrade... what upgrade would that be?

Reason i'm putting it in these words is because i'm already at about $4k for parts and work to get me to the 580rwhp range and i'm at about $1100 ish for rear wheels and tires... so $5k... which seems about the annual average for this thing ha
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
Rob@WretchedMS

This is in the order that i would typically go, cost not being any factor, strictly an overall path.

If i need to pick only 1 upgrade i'll need to know what you want to correct/improve the most.