Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #43
redhotcandy

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I had the V8 bug for awhile. I took a 2SS/RS home for the weekend and did enjoy driving it.

I was torn for about a week afterwards,whether or not I wanted to make the switch. Ultimately, I decided to keep my V6. There wasn't enough of a difference to me personally, to 1) start payments all over again 2) give up a car that I've put a lot of work into and that I love, and 3) and starting paying a crap ton of money for gas since I will be moving a bit farther from work. Yes, the performance of the V8 is awesome, but in my opinion, not as much as I thought it would be.

My insurance would have actually gone down $6 a month, but all in all, I will just continue to enjoy my V6.
redhotcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #44
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
I will admit I wasn't blown away by the performance increase. But I only drove it for a short period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcandy View Post
I had the V8 bug for awhile. I took a 2SS/RS home for the weekend and did enjoy driving it.

I was torn for about a week afterwards,whether or not I wanted to make the switch. Ultimately, I decided to keep my V6. There wasn't enough of a difference to me personally, to 1) start payments all over again 2) give up a car that I've put a lot of work into and that I love, and 3) and starting paying a crap ton of money for gas since I will be moving a bit farther from work. Yes, the performance of the V8 is awesome, but in my opinion, not as much as I thought it would be.

My insurance would have actually gone down $6 a month, but all in all, I will just continue to enjoy my V6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Performance Mods: K&N Cold Air Intake | Pypes Cat-Back Exhaust | Aluminum Paddle Shifters | VaraRam Wedge | Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPC Pads | M.M. Ported Throttle Body | Kooks 1 7/8 Headers w/ High Flow Cats | Dyno Tune @ RPM
Cosmetic Mods: Rally Stripes (style1, style2, style2.2) | Splitter | Painted Calipers | Door Projector Lights | Front-Emblem Delete | Cup Holder Lighting | Quarter Window Covers | Phantom Grille | Ghosted Side Markers | Tinted Fog Lights | ZL1 Rockers | Tail Light Bezels
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #45
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Drives: Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
It all comes down to your preferences. Personally I love the Camaro in IOM, especially if you blackout everything else. I have an IOM 2LT with the IO Interior as well and I really love that interior. The interior, for me, was actually a little higher on my list than than the exterior color because it was more rare and unique compared to other Camaros out there. Plus that orange ambient light coming from the door panels when you are driving at night just kicks ass. Either way, do what you like versus what anyone else likes. That being said, I agree with most everyone else that the wheels on the new car are a little too blingy for my taste.

Of course, you could always just keep your current ride and add a nice supercharger or turbo system to it... get the added speed without the major reduction of MPG... just sayin'
scoticus.rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #46
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
I'M NOT. If he's only getting 18/19 mpg in a v6 I suspect he drives it quite hard, so don't expect to get the same in the v8.

Can you get 18 in your SS without driving like an old woman?
Easily, I calculate fuel mileage the old fashioned way, fill up at the same pump, odometer reading divided by gallons used and round off to the nearest tenth.

All mileage thus far has been calculated with a/c on. About ~60 c5 members got together for the Mt Lemmon run in Tucson awhile back. For me it's about a two hour drive to Tucson, combination of interstate, several long hills, town/city and county roads. Speeds vary with a long stretch of interstate @80mph. The park in Tucson where many of us gathered before the climb was 108°F by ~10AM. The 25 mile climb to the top starts at less than 3000ft and ascends to over 8000ft, with numerous turns and switch backs. Up and down the mountain was done by paddle shifting, the CAI and Pfadt Tri-Ys sound great when getting into and out of the turns. With a dynoed 371rwhp (@4600ft) my round trip fuel mileage was 19.8mpg.

FWIW, some of the old gals in these (rural) areas will surprise a number of you young guys with their driving abilities.

SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #47
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
I just did it. I'm paying an extra $100 a month, but have made very small changes in my monthly purchases to make up for it, and I don't even notice the difference in my bank account. But I will definitely say wait until you find one with the right color and all options that you want. Don't settle. I waited for the exact SS that I was looking for and then did the deal.

You will not regret upgrading. You'll never find a guy on here saying, "Man, I wish that I had just kept my V6 instead of this SS."

And for me, the gas mileage hasn't changed much at all. The premium costs a few extra dollars, but who cares. If you can definitely afford it, go look for a SW SS.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #48
Scooter11

Drives: 2013 SW 2LS
You have the best color combo around! Perhaps I'm partial to the SW as well, but I don't have IOM stripes like you do. I'd kill for those. IMHO, you'd be crazy to pay more for that comparatively hideous looking SS.
Scooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:10 PM   #49
Vengeance Graphix

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport
If the price is right go for it. I upgraded and loved it
Old 10-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #50
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
I like the SW, reminds me of a stormtrooper...ooopps; that was mine that reminds me of a stormtrooper. Will you be happy with it? Can you pictuire yourself in it, bustin' a nut? Well then you can always order a new one...lol
Troy Lawson
Old 10-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #51
Trunz150

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Drop Top
It's an extra 5-6$ per tank no one will notice such a small difference 24$ per month extra on gas, or 288$ per year. If that will hurt your pocket don't buy the camaro.
Trunz150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #52
Trunz150

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Drop Top
It's an extra 5-6$ per tank no one will notice such a small difference 24$ per month extra on gas, or 288$ per year. If that will hurt your pocket don't buy the camaro.
Trunz150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:24 AM   #53
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 312HP-2011RS View Post
I got the bug and been thinking about doing this upgrade. I was a big fan of my submit white with inferno orange interior but this new car is a inferno orange with black matte... What do you think? I know the power is better.

FYI payments go up $100 a month but shorten loan a year which is ok with me...

Current Car is in my signature...

Potential new car:
Lose the wheels and make the upgrade.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #54
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
Fellas, it's done. Glad to be part of the SS family now but will still miss my LLT brothers. Permagrin all day!!
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #55
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 312HP-2011RS View Post
Fellas, it's done. Glad to be part of the SS family now but will still miss my LLT brothers. Permagrin all day!!
Nice!!! Congrats! Time to update that profile pic and info!
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v6 to v8