Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 PM   #57
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Since mine's a fair weather vehicle, I'm just going for the oil change once a year...
Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #58
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeVert View Post
Would be neat if we had this for more systems on our cars than oil life. Like how many miles (or months) until I need to change the brake pads, and have On-Star make the repair appointment for me. Of course it could also do that looking at my Outlook calendar to see when I was available - and send me an e-mail when it had done so. Or can it already do that???
Or just send a repairman out to wherever my vehicle is and do the maintenance.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #59
PQ
Booooosted.

I coulda swore I read somewhere in my paperwork that the dealer recomended every 3000 miles. I remember thinking the Mobile1 should be able to go further. Maybe it was Bonnies car...
Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 AM   #60
PQ
Booooosted.

I never knew any of this whole thread UNTIL this thread. I was literally thinking every 3k miles was the deal and I was going out on my own and calling it every 5k but 'pushing' it to 6k.

This is all new to me.

I think I might want to go read my manual for MORE tidbits.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:31 AM   #61
Markel

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Yup. I agree. How can you trust they built a good car but not trust that they know what they are doing.

I've been going about every 6k. I haven't even looked at the indicator. I probably could go further but it freaks me out. lol I've been brainwashed and it's scary to change.
PQ,

I can't imagine how the algorithms could account for being supercharged. I'd stick with the old school way....
Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #62
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markel View Post
PQ,

I can't imagine how the algorithms could account for being supercharged. I'd stick with the old school way....
Name:  huh.gif
Views: 995
Size:  322 Bytes Good point.

But I'm sure the ZR1 will. Hmmm..... Question for the experts maybe?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #63
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I can see both sides, and while I don't argue to say that the OLM doesn't work or has flaws I prefer to change the oil religiously because I know it works. I remember a customer from when I worked at a dealership several years ago. He was a businessman, constantly on the highway and would put massive amounts of km's on his oldsmobile in short periods. He usually came in every 2 weeks at the 5000km mark and the last time I saw him, his car was approaching 500,000km.
I also have an 07 Tacoma which I've been using mobil 1 in from the first oil change and now turning 150,000km. Still seems brand new and can't tell the difference in how it runs from my friends 2010 with 30,000km.
So I believe it's up to whoever paid the money for the car to decide if they're going to use the OLM. People are going to do what they want anyways

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #64
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Trust me people this thing works and it saves a lot of money for those of us that have a feet of vehicles that need maintained. If your changing your oil merely based on miles in these new cars then your almost certainly waisting time and money. We have been relying on this as long as chevy had it in there vehicles and I've never had any oil related problem with any of our units. And, most of our trucks and a few cars get well over 250,000 miles on them before we unload them.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #65
Markel

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Trust me people this thing works and it saves a lot of money for those of us that have a feet of vehicles that need maintained. If your changing your oil merely based on miles in these new cars then your almost certainly waisting time and money. We have been relying on this as long as chevy had it in there vehicles and I've never had any oil related problem with any of our units. And, most of our trucks and a few cars get well over 250,000 miles on them before we unload them.
Oh, I use it and love it. It saves a lot of time and money. But if I were to add a supercharger, I wouldn't trust my build to algorithms that were not designed to account for forced induction.
Markel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #66
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I have always changed my oil every 2,500 miles or so. I don't see that changing any time soon. The oil may still be perfectly good but I'm not taking any chances. I recycle it anyways so no waste. I'm sure you'll be ok following the monitor.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #67
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
To all of you with the touch and eyesight being more accurate here's proof that it means diddly squat. A TRUE synthetic will get you much longer usage out of the oil. I would not be doing what I am doing in regards to the mileage I put on oil in my truck if it was a off the shelf brand including Mobil1. But hey, I know it comes down to what makes the individual all warm and happy feeling inside and at the same time wasting money for no reason.

27,600 miles on this oil with only one oil filter used during all those miles. I do not use a bypass oil filter either. I got my oil analysis results back last night and the oil is good for continued use. This pic was taken just before I drained the oil and took the sample. Second pic is the oil filter that was removed during this oil change.

This is from a member on one of the Dodge/Cummins websites. He had 22,500 miles on that oil and it was still good for continued use. I could post tons of different pictures of different oil colors with different amounts of miles that would make your head spin and they all could have run longer on the oil.

Last edited by NavyDood; 05-09-2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Added pic of cut open Amsoil Oil Filter
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #68
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markel View Post
Oh, I use it and love it. It saves a lot of time and money. But if I were to add a supercharger, I wouldn't trust my build to algorithms that were not designed to account for forced induction.
I wonder how the ZL1 will handle it?

Anyone know?

They'd have to use a different system or none at all, or the current SS system will suffice. Maybe it actually DOES account by the harder strokes and more RPMs, and air flow and such???
Old 05-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #69
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
One of the things that shocked me the most when I first moved over here from the UK was that everyone was changing their oil at 3,000 miles -
that is unheard of in the UK unless you drive the Mazda RX8 with the rotary engine.

Most people over there change at around 10,000 miles or once a year, whichever comes first, and believe it or not the side of the roads are not full of cars with seized up engines.

If changing every 3,000 miles really gives you piece of mind then do it, but it really isn't necessary. The only people who want you to believe it is are the people selling the oil.
Modern07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #70
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I wonder how the ZL1 will handle it?

Anyone know?

They'd have to use a different system or none at all, or the current SS system will suffice. Maybe it actually DOES account by the harder strokes and more RPMs, and air flow and such???
Stop changing the topic PQ.

No, I believe that they will program it to suit the needs of the ZL1 just like any of their other GM cars and trucks.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote