Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-18-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
RugbyJimmy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Need Advice - 2SS vs. 2LT

Hey guys, new person here.

I would like a little sage advice from the members here. I currently have a 2LT on order right now. However I am thinking about going with the 2SS.

I would appreciate some opinions.

1.) This is going to be my everyday driver.

2.) My commute to work is 10 miles. With that being said, I do travel for work.

3.) How is the gas mileage?

4.) Is there going to be a substantial difference in resale value?

Any thoughts on this car being practical for an everyday driver? I am not into hot dogging or racing other people. I do want to protect my investment and get the best technology.

Is there a major difference between the tech in the V6 vs the tech in the V8?

Thanks in advance for the advice
RugbyJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Sharpe62

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Black/Black
well based on on what you want:

1)Everyday driver
2)Not into racing and things
3)gas mileage

The 2LT would be your better choice, its better on mileage not as fast as the 2SS but you dont seem to care, and ideally the looks are the same i mean unless you know about the differences someone off the street wouldnt know if its a v6 or v8

and as well the 2LT gets all the bells and whistles inside that the 2SS gets as well.

So save the cash you would spend on the 2SS for other things.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
Its simple....... The V6 is the newest engine (same as the Cadillac CTS) and will yield between 23-30mpg. It features the newest technology (Direct Injection) and from what I hear (since I havent gotten mine yet) it has enough power @ 300hp to keep you satisfied.

But the true hardcore Camaro of course is the V8 LS3, or L99 from the 2SS. It is the older engine technology (Push-rod V8) and is essentially the same exact engine that you will find in every Corvette since the 70s.

If money is no object, then obviously go for the SS. But if you need to budget, I am sure that the V6 will keep you satisfied. I am sure I will be :-D
Old 07-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
I am VERY HAPPY to own and drive my 2LT/RS...fast enough for a daily driver and still has the WOW factor for anyone that sees it....................good gas mileage, cheaper insurance rates, and uses regular gas...a good value for an AMAZING CAR...
"prima"Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
1. That's AWESOME! My SS is my everyday driver too. LOVE it.
2. Either one will have the same ride and feel...but the SS with a bit more power (depending on your style) might be a bit more fun to drive on longer commutes.
3. Gas mileage is obviously going to be better in the V6.
4. SS's will always be more valuable than V6's. Substantial, I would say, depends on what the person views to be a big difference. Personally, I would say yes....by a minimum 5k. I mean....27k for a 2LT vs. 35k for a 2SS. ...all sepends.

Either way you are going, you are getting one hell of a car. The V6 has a lot of punch to it (as a lot of forum members and people I know who have test driven them would say). The SS is just for more fun and "passing power......." People are wary when buying SS's because they get afraid they are going to be ragged out. As long as you take care of it and document everything (on the SS), you should get pretty good retail value in selling it. In my honest opinion, as compared to 4th Gens, you will get a better retail value selling a V8 than V6. There are more V6's out on the roads than V8's 4th Gen wise. They are not as coveted as a V8 would be.

Ok....practicality means getting the 2LT V6. You will get good resale value for it. You will get great gas mileage for it. It's a great ride and great car.

The SS? Not as great gas mileage (but still not bad at all). IMO, more fun to drive. Can be more valuable in the long run if maintained and documented well.

Hope some of this helps.

...and one last thing, WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Camaro_Psycho

Drives: 1981 Chevy Celebrity
In my opinion the LLT is the better motor. It sports direct injection instead of normal port injection. This allows the fuel to be more evenly dispersed before detonation and gets you 29 mpg highway with 304 hp. On resale value the 2SS will probably have better value but with this all being said both of them can make great daily drivers. The choice is more up to what you want out of the car. If you like your head thrown back every once and a while when you step on the throttle then the SS is for you. If you want a more tamed beast that has the best of both worlds then the LT is the right choice. Best thing to do is go to you dealership and take one on a test drive see which one you like better.

Good luck
Camaro_Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
Brady_SS
Otis From Mayberry

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS #42033
Send a message via Yahoo to Brady_SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyJimmy View Post

Is there a major difference between the tech in the V6 vs the tech in the V8?
I would lean more towards the V6 being more "technolgically" advanced than the V8 based on it being a multi-valve, overhead cam engine with direct injection. The V8 is advanced however, it uses somewhat older push rod technology. With that being said, I ordered the V8 because I prefer the less complex push rod engine, and the added power the extra 2 cylinders bring .

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
--Larry The Cable Guy
Brady_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
Laserjen

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Welcome to the site. You'll probably get lots of people telling you to go with the V8...so I just wanted to chime in with my reasons for getting the V6.

Mine will also be my daily driver (only car, no garage). My commute to/from work is only 20 miles total, but gas mileage is important to me (29/17 for the V6 versus 24/16 for the V8...if you search the forums it seems a lot of people aren't getting more than 13 or so mpg with the V8). I wanted all the options, so I got the 2LT/RS...the extra money for the 2SS/RS was not worth it for me since like you I'm not into racing. Yes, 426 hp would be cool, but 305 hp is plenty for me, especially compared to what I have now. Re-sale will be better with the SS, especially since V8's are likely to become more rare with the new fuel regulations, but I'm not buying this car as an investment. This V6, with the direct fuel injection, is one of the most advanced engines on the market from what I've read. However, the V8 does have the cylinder de-activation, which is cool.

Other things to consider include the cost of insurance for the V6 vs. V8 (check with your insurance co), and maintenance costs (e.g. oil changes will be more costly for the V8). Premium gas is recommended for the V8, but regular is recommended for the V6.

Good luck with your decision, I think you'll be happy with whatever you decide.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #9
RugbyJimmy

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Thank You

Well, that was quick.

Thank you all for a) the welcome to the site, and b) the advice thus far.

I ordered the 2LT on July 8 and have been lurking on this site for about three weeks now. The new camaro will bring me full circle since my first car was a 88 camaro. I have been in love with the 5th gen for two years now (yeah...Transformers) and have been reading about it ever since.

I am most impressed about how this car "got it right" for the most part on the first year of production. Several reviews have punctuated that point.

Now....I just have to wait....and wait
RugbyJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #10
dreammy
Banned

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM RS
Hey Rugby welcome to the site. I have been struggling with the same dilema. I have a great 2lt Rs on order also but am second guessing not going with the SS. My dealer says he wont change the order or sell my LT. I communte over 100 miles a day to work so i went with the LT model. My biggest draw to the SS was kind of dumb...i wanted the upgraded exhaust to sound really great. I dont think that will ever happen with the 6 ....best of luck and again welcome!
dreammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
Rockies4

Drives: PT Cruiser 02
Welcome Rugby Jimmy,

Both the 2LT and the SS are great Camaros to have in my opinion. If you're driving only 10 miles to work each day, then that's not really a great distance.

Ask yourself this one question, "Which one would bring you the most enjoyment driving everyday?"

I chose the 2SS model because I liked all the options and it makes me think of the "true" Camaro back in the day.

I have another car that I will drive everyday, so my Camaro will be for pure fun and a reward for working so hard for the past 20 years.

So in the end, buy the one that you will enjoy the most because life is short.

Best Wishes,
Rockies4

Rockies4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #12
gplus

Drives: 2010 RY SSRS 2010 IBM LT2
I have one each. For daily commuting the lt would be your best choice
The ss is great for high performance so if your not into that save the extra cash and get the lt.
I love both of mine.
gplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
modiecast

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS / Sold my 2010 2SS/RS
It comes down to one thing. If you can afford the SS, buy it. The engine is spectacular.
modiecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies4 View Post
Welcome Rugby Jimmy,

Both the 2LT and the SS are great Camaros to have in my opinion. If you're driving only 10 miles to work each day, then that's not really a great distance.

So in the end, buy the one that you will enjoy the most because life is short.

Best Wishes,
Rockies4

This is the bottom line, and its a choice you have to make, the above statement is so true, so do what feels right for YOU. either choice you make will give you a lot of pleasure, just make the most of it.