Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 06-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #141
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
I"m proud to do it

I'll be back state-side in decemberish to start my power modding and hopefully check out your car
Old 06-30-2010, 12:08 AM   #142
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Thanks Doc. I think your Blue Angel is such a cool build so that means a lot coming from you.
Calling my project a "build" is extremely gracious of you; all I'm doing is replacing a few parts with upgraded ones. What you're doing is a genuine build. I'm not even in the same stadium as you, much less the same league. Even if I had the money I wouldn't know how to do half of what you're doing.

Sleeper cars can be so much fun. I remember some years ago a guy put a World War II Rolls Royce Merlin V12 engine from a Spitfire in an actual Rolls Royce. From the outside it looked like a dead stock Rolls Royce. He said it was hilarious to pull up behind a Ferrari or Porsche doing 180 on the autobahn and flash his brights for them to move over. I can only imagine what Ferrari drivers must have thought looking in their rear view mirror and seeing that barn door front end of a Rolls flashing its brights at them at that speed LOL. And then blow past them. It could cruise at 200 mph. Of course I think it got something like 6 mpg but he was rich and didn't care.

I can't wait to see what yours can do. I'd love to see it if you'll be showing it anywhere in southern California.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:34 AM   #143
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Calling my project a "build" is extremely gracious of you; all I'm doing is replacing a few parts with upgraded ones. What you're doing is a genuine build. I'm not even in the same stadium as you, much less the same league. Even if I had the money I wouldn't know how to do half of what you're doing.

Sleeper cars can be so much fun. I remember some years ago a guy put a World War II Rolls Royce Merlin V12 engine from a Spitfire in an actual Rolls Royce. From the outside it looked like a dead stock Rolls Royce. He said it was hilarious to pull up behind a Ferrari or Porsche doing 180 on the autobahn and flash his brights for them to move over. I can only imagine what Ferrari drivers must have thought looking in their rear view mirror and seeing that barn door front end of a Rolls flashing its brights at them at that speed LOL. And then blow past them. It could cruise at 200 mph. Of course I think it got something like 6 mpg but he was rich and didn't care.

I can't wait to see what yours can do. I'd love to see it if you'll be showing it anywhere in southern California.

Holy F*CK 1,xxx hp right there.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:27 AM   #144
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
Im in awe right now!!
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:02 AM   #145
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I"m proud to do it

I'll be back state-side in decemberish to start my power modding...
Cool Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post

Well, I know you see it all the time, but I think the Blue Angel looks awesome.

That would be fun to see on You Tube...lol I am sure he wasn't too worried about his mpg.

Similar to that, but not really a sleeper - Charlie Lillard in California has a 55 Chevy with a 3,000 hp Rolls Royce engine mounted in it he got from an Australian guy. There is a clip of it here:
Another crazy setup.

It's just north of LA right now and will be driving around a bit sometime probably in August to road tune it. It'd be fun to see you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
Holy F*CK 1,xxx hp right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bws_82 View Post
Im in awe right now!!
Thanks for stopping in. Will be posting more pics soon.

Last edited by speedster; 06-30-2010 at 08:37 AM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #146
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
It's just north of LA right now and will be driving around bit somtime probably in August to road tune it. It'd be fun to see you.
Just let me know when; Tuesdays or Wednesdays would be the easiest days for me to drive up and meet you and see your fantastic car.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #147
speedster
SST...

Next on the list is the transmission. We tried and tried to find ways to utilize the 6L80E but at this point this is too much TQ and HP for presently available configurations. In addition - the 6L80E actually has too many gears for the SST. (It would have to be set up to start in 2nd at a track - as a general rule, the higher the output the more you want the engine to do the work and the less you rely on the multiplication of the transmission and rear gear ratio.

So after lots of digging around we settled on a Bowler 4L85E transmission. We spoke with many shops and top builders kept saying Bowler, so that is where we ended up. This transmission is the closest thing to bullet proof (outside of a non-street friendly Powerglide or Lenco) that we could find.

I will not bore you with the gory details but every part but the case is HP specific and has been replaced.

We stayed with a 2.48 first gear ratio. The transmission is 100% programmable and computer controlled. On the fly we can change transmission programs between street/strip/road race/long cruise. These programs can optimize it for power/economy or cool running.

This transmission has an extra deep pan to clear the transbrake and allow for additional fluid capacity. A neat feature alluded to earlier is that the transbrake is controlled by the right TapShift button (along with a hidden arming switch) and the left TapShift button controls the LineLoc. Stealthy.

The converter is a HD billet one that has the stall optimized for the torque curve of this engine and still retains lock-up capability.

Another reason for going to this level is that old adage - you get what you pay for. This 4L85E has already been broken in and fully dyno tested under EXTREME loads at their shop. Actually Mark (Bowler) knew the capability of the motor and after running it on the dyno, took it all back apart to check for any wear marks. He found one spot and machined that part to perfectly match its mate with a close tolerance and then put it all back together and repeated the process until it was perfect. That is just way cool...

So here are the transmission pics.
First Pic - The transmission is here !
Second Pic - Bowler 4L85E Extreme
Third Pic - Deep pan to clear the transbrake, add more fluid and strengthen the lower tranmission case.
Fourth Pic - This is the Input Shaft made from 300M. All shafts in this unit are 300M.
Fifth Pic - CNC Billet Converter - you can even see the marks in the metal where they mounted it to test it. This converter is also designed for a 6 bolt connection to the flexplate.
Sixth Pic - Note the massive welds and the thickness of the output flange. Heavy Duty stuff they built.
Attached Images

Last edited by speedster; 08-28-2010 at 07:07 AM.
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:41 AM   #148
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT

I can't wait to see this thing....

I have a feeling that when Radz28 sees these tranny pic... he's gonna...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #149
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Next on the list is the transmission. We tried and tried to find ways to utilize the 6L80E but at this point this is too much TQ and HP for presently available configurations. In addition - the 6L80E actually has too many gears for the SST. (It would have to be set up to start in 2nd at a track - as a general rule, the higher the output the more you want the engine to do the work and the less you rely on the multiplication of the transmission and rear gear ratio.

So after lots of digging around we settled on a Bowler 4L85E transmission. We spoke with many shops and a top builders kept saying Bowler, so that is where we ended up. This transmission is the closest thing to bullet proof (outside of a non-street friendly Powerglide or Lenco) that we could find.

I will not bore you with the gory details but every part but the case is HP specific and has been replaced.

We stayed with a 2.48 first gear ratio. The transmission is 100% programmable and computer controlled. On the fly we can change transmission programs between street/strip/road race/long cruise. These programs can optimize it for power/economy or cool running.

This transmission has an extra deep pan to clear the transbrake and allow for additional fluid capacity. A neat feature alluded to earlier is that the transbrake is controlled by the right TapShift button (along with a hidden arming switch) and the left TapShift button controls the LineLoc. Stealthy.

The converter is a HD billet one that has the stall optimized for the torque curve of this engine and still retains lock-up capability.

Another reason for going to this level is that old adage - you get what you pay for. This 4L85E has already been broken in and fully dyno tested under EXTREME loads at their shop. Actually Mark (Bowler) knew the capability of the motor and after running it on the dyno, took it all back apart to check for any wear marks. He found one spot and machined that part to perfectly match its mate with a close tolerance and then put it all back together and repeated the process until it was perfect. That is just way cool...

So here are the transmission pics.
First Pic - The transmission is here !
Second Pic - Bowler 4L85E Extreme
Third Pic - Deep pan to clear the transbrake, add more fluid and strengthen the lower tranmission case.
Fourth Pic - This is the Input Shaft made from 300M. All shafts in this unit are 300M.
Fifth Pic - CNC Billet Converter - you can even see the marks in the metal where they mounted it to test it.
Sixth Pic - Note the massive welds and the thickness of the output flange. Heavy Duty stuff they built.
That tranny pan and converter are sweet looking! Are the electronics by Bowler, or do they use aother companies (like TCI or something)? I only ask because I've only noticed similar controls from that company, but I'm sure there are more out there. I'm just curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post

If I post what I'm thinking, I'll be banned - that is all GTAHVIT's right!!!

With all due respect to everyone who's got build threads going: I have to say this is probably the coolest one yet. OMG!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #150
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post

With all due respect to everyone who's got build threads going: I have to say this is probably the coolest one EVER!!!. OMG!
Fixed...

LMAO

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 07-01-2010 at 10:27 AM. Reason: ...
Old 07-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #151
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Fixed...

LMAO

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #152
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
I'm betting you could shoot that Billet Torque Converter out of a Battle ship's 5" gun and you would just need to dust if off and slap it back in SST and be good..

Old 07-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #153
speedster
SST...

Quote:

^^ Nice emoticon

Quote:
That tranny pan and converter are sweet looking! Are the electronics by Bowler, or do they use aother companies (like TCI or something)? I only ask because I've only noticed similar controls from that company, but I'm sure there are more out there. I'm just curious

The Compushift is a controller made by HGM Electronics.
Here is a link for you: https://www.hgmelectronics.com/displ...Specifications

With all due respect to everyone who's got build threads going: I have to say this is probably the coolest one yet. OMG!
Quote:
I'm betting you could shoot that Billet Torque Converter out of a Battle ship's 5" gun and you would just need to dust if off and slap it back in SST and be good..
I sure hope so for the cost...

Thanks for the compliments guys...
Next up - cooling and suspension stuff.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:56 AM   #154
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
^^ Nice emoticon

Thanks for the compliments guys...
Next up - cooling and suspension stuff.
Are you back in town?

Tags
engine psi > tire psi, f5....., holy crap!, horsepower, omgwtfbbqsaucepowa!!!, speedster, sst, turbo