Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Detailing questions answered here!

First, I want to thank my fellow Moderators as well as the Admins. for allowing me to do this. Thank You!

Second, the idea here is to help anyone with any questions, problems, issues, faced with the maintaining of their cars appearance. It is not intended to promote any singular product.

Finally, I do not claim to be an expert on the subject, but base my thoughts, etc., on years of detailing experience. Other opinions, thoughts, ideas, are welcome, and encouraged.

So, with all that being said, I'd like to offer anyone who has questions, needs help, is looking for input, etc., in regards to detailing and maintaining their cars appearance my help.

Post your questions, problems, etc., in this forum if you desire.

I will check in as frequently as possible, and do my best to answer your questions and/or provide help and advice.

Ed

PS; Any suggestions for the forum, as well as criticisms are welcome as well.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Ok, I'm going to clay bar the vehicle and start from scratch. What OTC polishes, waxes do you recomend and what steps? Apply a polish then a sealer wax?

Thanks.
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 GTO View Post
Ok, I'm going to clay bar the vehicle and start from scratch. What OTC polishes, waxes do you recomend and what steps? Apply a polish then a sealer wax?

Thanks.
Two quality OTC products I've used are Meguires and Mothers.

Steps;

1. Wash with 'Dawn' dish washing liquid to remove prior wax.
2. Clay, using a mixture of car wash/water solution.
3. After claying entire vehicle,wash car with good quality car wash and dry.
4. Begin polishing. A good coat of Meguires or Mothers wax every 6 mo. for a daily driver is sufficient.

I don't use "sealer" waxes. If using wax, I prefer to do a car every 3 months.

Also, be sure and use good quality wash mitts (sheepskin or chenile) as well as towels for drying/polish removal.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Ed
Old 07-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #4
67 GTO
13.453 @ 101.90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Two quality OTC products I've used are Meguires and Mothers.

Steps;

1. Wash with 'Dawn' dish washing liquid to remove prior wax.
2. Clay, using a mixture of car wash/water solution.
3. After claying entire vehicle,wash car with good quality car wash and dry.
4. Begin polishing. A good coat of Meguires or Mothers wax every 6 mo. for a daily driver is sufficient.

I don't use "sealer" waxes. If using wax, I prefer to do a car every 3 months.

Also, be sure and use good quality wash mitts (sheepskin or chenile) as well as towels for drying/polish removal.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Ed
That's a good start. I've used Meguiar's NXT spray wax in the past with good results.

Thanks for the tips.
67 GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
So you keep the clay wet when clay barring with a mixture of wash soap and water?
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Wild Bill

Drives: Camaro 2015 RS CRM
Question

Hey Ed,

I bought the Zaino Show Car kit. The instructions sent with the kit are a little scant. Lots of different product in the kit. Do you have any advise or directions. Thanks!
6000 - 7/17/09
See my Thread in New York Metro Area.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33878
Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekel View Post
So you keep the clay wet when clay barring with a mixture of wash soap and water?
You definately want to lubricate the surface where you're claying.

A good "general rule" I go by is a 6" x 6" section at a time when claying; spray the section well with a soap/water solution while moving the clay across the surface with very light pressure.

Make sure and check the clay very often as well as it sill change color (usually black) as the contaminants are removed from the paint and "captured" in the clay. At that point, knead to a clean surface and continue.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Are painted on stripes or stickers the better way to go? And our dealer is offering some kind of "Scotch-Gard" like sealer for exterior and interior, I've forgotten the name, for $700. They say whatever happens to the seats, GM will replace at no charge. Is this worth it? Thanks so much!
rmpackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
Hey Ed,

I bought the Zaino Show Car kit. The instructions sent with the kit are a little scant. Lots of different product in the kit. Do you have any advise or directions. Thanks!
First, my advice is to set aside a few hrs., and DON'T be overwhelmed with the steps. Zaino is very easy to use.

Here's a quick summary;

1. Wash with Dawn if the car has been waxed/polished previously.
2. If the car is new, its fine to wash it now with the Zaino car wash.
3. If you have clay, while the car is still wet (not necessary to dry after initial washing) begin claying.
4. Once the entire car has been clayed, wash again with Zaino car wash, drying it completely afterwards.
5. Begin adding coats of polish; hood, roof, trunk - front to back motion
sides - top to bottom motion

* It is recommened by Zaino that you do no more than 3 coats within 24 hrs.

* Make sure and use a good quality towel for drying/polish removal.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
For cleaning windows. Windex using News paper
Rain-X using News Paper.

I have heard paper tows leave lint and have oils in them.
I have been using news paper over the last Well Lot of years. Forget where I heard about the News Paper. But have has good success with the News paper.

Any Pro's or Con's on the news paper?
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmpackers View Post
Are painted on stripes or stickers the better way to go? And our dealer is offering some kind of "Scotch-Gard" like sealer for exterior and interior, I've forgotten the name, for $700. They say whatever happens to the seats, GM will replace at no charge. Is this worth it? Thanks so much!
IMO, painted stripes are always preferred.

As for 'Scotch Guard', I'd allow the dealer to do your seats (I'm assuming you have cloth), etc., but NOT "seal" the paint. If they're offering replaced seats (if necessary) after they 'Scotch Guard' them, I'd choose that option, provided they'll do that without having to do the exterior as well.

$700.00 is alot of money. You can save a sizeable amount by doing this yourself.

Personally, I'd save the money and invest in a good quality wax/polish for the exterior.

For the interior, you can purchase cans of 'Scotch Guard' at store's such as 'WalMart', and do it yourself. I've done it many times.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:17 PM   #12
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFnSNO View Post
For cleaning windows. Windex using News paper
Rain-X using News Paper.

I have heard paper tows leave lint and have oils in them.
I have been using news paper over the last Well Lot of years. Forget where I heard about the News Paper. But have has good success with the News paper.

Any Pro's or Con's on the news paper?
Nope. Newspapers are used by alot of detailers.

I've always used 'Stoner's' products as they do a very good job of removing the film which accumulates on the inside of the windshield.

Couple of tips;

* If using 'Stoner's', if possible, use the trigger/non-aerosal bottles. I've found when you first use an aerosal can of 'Stoner's', it leave's a "sticky" residue (possibly the propellant?).

* If using paper towels, pull off the first few sheets. The "glue" used to close the roll when new can also leave streaks.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
bumblebee rules

Drives: 2010 BumbleBee ready to go now
You recomend not using a car wash ( hand wand ) what do you use to keep the bugs of the front grill and body , I have already put a screen on the rad , mine is a daily driver so doing it by hand every couple days gets time consuming LOL ( don't mind ) . Will a light power wash hurt the finish ??? Thanks :-)
bumblebee rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
mmarcum

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow Camaro SS
Ok, here's my question. I Zaino'ed my car when I first got it (Dawn, Zaino wash, clay, Z2, Z6, Z2, Z6). In two weeks I am getting the glossy bumblebee stripes from Vinylgraphics.net installed. So, what should I do afterwards to re-clean and re-protect the car since I assume the installer will have to strip the Zaino before he installs the vinyl. And should I Zaino the stripes, or just the paint around the stripes?

Event code 1100 on 1/24
Event code 3000 on 3/24
Event code 3400 on 4/27
Back to event code 3000 on 5/1
Event code 3800 on 5/5
Event code 4B00 on 5/5
Event code 4200 on 5/22
Event code 6000 on 6/3!

VIN# 2G1FT1EW6A9107395
mmarcum is offline   Reply With Quote