Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: What would you do
Keep the car because it's the only way you can afford a 2013 zl1 14 13.21%
Keep the car because this ain't that bad and the price is worth it 76 71.70%
Give it back and get an ss 6 5.66%
Give it back - this is bad! 10 9.43%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Keep or return the zl1 I just bought

So it was disclosed to me that the car had the front bumper repainted but I noticed a change in the depth of the paint where the drivers side front beam meets the body as well as where the trunk meets body. The roof and trunk seem to be a bit deeper red.

I only noticed because I was looking for scratches last night under florecent light and was using a flash light and noticed some parts are not as bright as others with the flashlight.

I went to the dealer and asked what my options are, they agreed they'd simply take the car back.

So I'm asking what you would do. I paid less than 45k for the car and this had already stretched my budget. Zl1's a dream car for me. If I returned it I'd have to go with a new ss(I me ow tough right) which would depreciate ASAP

Here are some pics of the differences. FYI....no scratches, those are snow flakes passing in front of the lens
Attached Images

Last edited by Msmall143; 04-07-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
Msmall143

Next
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Msmall143

Rear- to me the left side is slightly darker than the left
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
Msmall143

A
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I think you answered your own question about it. If the ZL1 is your dream car and this one was in your budget, then keep it! I highly doubt you'd be happy stepping down to an SS after getting what you truly wanted. I personally don't mind a little paint work unless it was the result of something serious.

Maybe you can convince them to put it on an alignment machine for peace of mind and also allow you to look underneath the vehicle to see if anything structurally had been compromised. It's what I would do for a customer if it were me.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
StormtrooperJun

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I say as long as nothing structural was damaged and repaired, you're best off keeping it. My 2 cents.
StormtrooperJun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #7
STI_TO_SS?

Drives: '14 2SS RS 1LE
The difference is imperceptible in this light (from a digital image on a digital device ). You might need to ask someone in real life.
Past muscle: 1988 RS Camaro, 1966 Mustang GT
Past rice: 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S
STI_TO_SS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
I think you answered your own question about it. If the ZL1 is your dream car and this one was in your budget, then keep it! I highly doubt you'd be happy stepping down to an SS after getting what you truly wanted. I personally don't mind a little paint work unless it was the result of something serious.

Maybe you can convince them to put it on an alignment machine for peace of mind and also allow you to look underneath the vehicle to see if anything structurally had been compromised. It's what I would do for a customer if it were me.
Good advice...check and check

I made them do an alignment and had it on a lift. The car only had cosmetic repair.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:02 PM   #9
Msmall143

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI_TO_SS? View Post
The difference is imperceptible in this light (from a digital image on a digital device ). You might need to ask someone in real life.
I told 2 people that there is repaint and asked them to find it. I. Day light they couldn't find it.

Last edited by Msmall143; 04-07-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
You're experiencing buyer's remorse. It's usually not the car, but the size of the check that causes it. In your case, you had another thread in here, and got a number of opinions. You heard them all and bought the car. You were really happy when you got it home, as you have another thread on that.

I won't vote in any direction because I don't know you. If you're that guy who lets things like a scratch on the paint haunt him at night, take it back. If you're more concerned with mechanical and structural integrity and believe you have those, keep it.

Either way, don't lose sleep over it. If you return it, another will come along later. If you keep it, be happy you don't have to sweat a ding or a scratch – you're past that – and revel in the idea that you're free to mod/race/drift/drive however you want (playing with house money, condition-wise, so no worries).

Choice is yours. We can't make it for you.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #11
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I really do not see enough to make me return the car. Now with a good detailer who really knows what he is doing I believe he could make you happy. Maybe ask the dealer if they have a person to detail it if not ask them if you found one if they would pay him to get it right. Also have you ask them if you could talk to who ever had the car before? Has the dealer offered you a car fax on the car? I would try to find out all I could then make up your mind. Like the above post I do not think you would be happy after driving the Z if you got anything less. Good luck and let us know what happens
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
I think you answered your own question about it. If the ZL1 is your dream car and this one was in your budget, then keep it!
^^BINGO!!!
Especially if it is your daily driver and track car. It is going to see plenty of action and a lot of chips in the paint, no matter how hard you try to not let that happen.
Good luck.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
Nutro

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green
Looks about the same to me. It wouldn't bother me at all.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #14
petetcs

Drives: 2013 ZL1 victory red
you are going to use as a track car and daily driver the paint will never be great but should be good for the start
petetcs is offline   Reply With Quote