Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 11-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
55Designs

Drives: 2010
Eratic chatter and noise under load from under shifter, Hurst!

I never drove one of these cars in stock form so I cant comment on the original shifter.

At around 3500RPM the shifter makes a ton of noise from below like chatter rattling sounds. Also the shifter does not like when you hold pressure on the knob when it gear.

Chevy dealer installed this and I wonder if they did something wrong because this feels exactly like my old 1969 SS 369 with 4 speed rock crusher gearbox with Hurst Shifter.
55Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Kwaz1335
The Kwaz

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Kwaz1335
I would lift the gauge cluster up and over the shifter to the right side and unscrew the shifter boot. Take a look to see if the screws on the shifter handle have worked their way loose. This was happening to me a lot when the washers that hurst provides were in between the bolt and the shifter handle. I solved the problem by moving the washers from the outside of the shifter handle to in between the shifter handle and the shift pivot arm making sure that the ridges of the shifter arm and the shift pivot arm were aligned. I then torqued the bolts down real tight. The shifter is always going to make noise no matter what you try to do...as the hurst eliminates much of the sound dampening materials you get with your stock shifter. Your also going to feel more..so when your in second and you feel like your shifter dose not like it...its really not a big deal...it always did it..you were just insulated from bolth the sound and feel of it happening.
Picked up and brought home 6/26/2009
2010 Black on Black SS/RS Camaro
Silver stripe package
Ground effects package
6 Speed Manual Transmission with Hurst short throw, Magnuson Supercharger, SLP loudmouth 1 kit.
Kwaz1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Could be the dust boot underneath the car, a previous post said it came lose and was making a lot of noise.
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
55Designs

installing the skip shift thing tomorow I will have the guys get under the car and check to see whats going on.

Everyone tells me this is normal for a Tremec. I am just not used to it.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
I love the way it shifts. Mine was installed a week ago by Hurst employees and I am starting to find the chatter/rattle annoying when accelerating hard in 2nd and 3rd gear where it is specially noisy. Yes, I know little ratttle is normal with Hurst shifter but mine I think mine is excessive to the point you can hear it over loud music. I stopped resting my hand on the knob because applying any pressure on the shifter makes the rattle worse. I trusted they knew what they were doing so I would be pissed if something came loose that is causing excessive rattle.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
55Designs

Wow thats wild they even installed yours and it rattles. I think we should call HURST after SEMA on Monday.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
fixxxer525
Account Suspended

Drives: 01S10,01CBR600,05Ducati, 10 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to fixxxer525
I was going to buy a Hurst shifter, but now I may be looking at others. You would figure they would try to fix this "problem" when people started complaining about the rattle.
fixxxer525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer525 View Post
I was going to buy a Hurst shifter, but now I may be looking at others. You would figure they would try to fix this "problem" when people started complaining about the rattle.
Wait a minute who says there is a problem? There are as many if not more people chiming in who aren't experincing issues than those who are. It could be a number things including installation. The 'rattle' or vibration is slight on hard acceleration and can be addressed with something like Dynomat although it reminds me of my old M21 with Hurst Comp Plus shifter. I'm extremely pleased with mine!
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55Designs View Post
I wonder if they did something wrong because this feels exactly like my old 1969 SS 369 with 4 speed rock crusher gearbox with Hurst Shifter.
Man! That can't be a bad thing. Rock crusher FTMFW!!!!!!!!
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Don't get me wrong guys, I like the Hurst better than the stock, despite the rattly noise at certain RPMs.

The issue may not have anything to do with installation error or something coming loose. I am guessing that for some people, they describe the rattle as "slight" but the same slight noise to others such as myself, is excessive eventhough the noise level is actually the same... just a difference in perception. One thing for sure, if you don't get used to it, it will start to become annoying.

The rattle noise is nothing new to Hurst shifters. I read a ton of threads in Mustang forums about it....after I had it installed.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
fixxxer525
Account Suspended

Drives: 01S10,01CBR600,05Ducati, 10 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to fixxxer525
I haven't read anything about MGW shifter or other brand with rattling noise(s). I'm just saying, in my opinion, x amount of Hurst customers are complaining about the rattling noise. Shouldn't someone at that company start looking into maybe making a solution or make a version 2 of it. Me, I'm not going to buy an item or product that's going to annoy the shit out me. Others may not mind the rattling but its knowingthe fact that when you start shifting and putting your hand on the shifter increases the rattling annoyance.
fixxxer525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
55Designs

Called Hurst and they said its normal. To be honest I would accept that on a vintage car not a $42k 2010 model.

I need to speak with MGW to see if their system eliminates all of this. I drive alot and do like to have my hand on the shifter its just a habit. Maybe if the MGW will gaurantee it wont work like the Hurst Id buy it and adapt the Hurst knob or something.

As cool as the Hurst is it is starting to annoy me.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #13
bpoirier

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM CGM Stripes
I have a MGW shifter and it is smooth and quiet. Shifts are firm and crisp. I have no complaints what so ever.
bpoirier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #14
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoirier View Post
I have a MGW shifter and it is smooth and quiet. Shifts are firm and crisp. I have no complaints what so ever.
Me too. The MGW is SWEET!
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote