Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-02-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
How do you take care of your Microfibers?

So my Dad and I are car care fanatics to say the least. Him with his '02 vette and me with my 2010 camaro... Both of us have researched how to properly care for our precious microfibers and tried numerous methods.

Everyone seems to have different methods...

Me - I soak them in hot water and tide for 30 min. then machine wash (no fabric softener). Tumble dry on low / easy care. I always wash them together with no other foreign materials. - however it seems impossible to get some of them back to "good as new" condition.

My Dad - uses a product called Micro-Restore, with pretty much the same method/results.

Since we both got a brand new complete sets of Cobra microfibers for christmas and its fresh on my mind, I figured I would ask the forum how you care for your microfibers?
2LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
HMMM I just buy new ones... I like your methods too...
Old 01-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
I wash mine in the machine. Delicate cycle, hot hot water with some detergent. I leave the lid on the machine open so the it agitates then sits and soaks. I close the lid like an hour later and the cycle finishes. Air dry them. This was working fine for a while but now the towel I used to wash the wheels has a few ugly black splotches that wont come off - trashed it.

I guess washing them 2-3 times is good but I usually get new ones after that.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
promod55

Drives: 2010 camaro rs/ss 67 camaro
I wash them in the machine and dry them in the drier,Do not use any fabric softener in the machine or the drier,It does something to the microfiber.
promod55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
cschmidt1956

Drives: Too Little time to drive....
I have found that Tide with the addition on OXYCLEAN works well with microfiber towels. NO FABRIC SOFTNER!

I also grade mine as I fold them and take em out to the garage. There are the ones for just the outer painted surfaces, then the interior ones, then exterior for wheels and other gritty bits and then the trash can.

The one's I buy I get in bulk at Sam's Club or BJ's Wholesale. They seem to last me at least two years through my grading process. A few find there way to the kitchen or to service working on the bicycles too.
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
Washing machine hot water use a 30 min soak cycle and Dawn dish detergent as soap; add 2nd rinse cycle and then air dy.
This usually gets me a few extra uses out of them before they become shop rags, and tire cleaner.
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
bono83

Drives: 1969 Chevelle, 2010 1LT
I just bought a bunch of various microfibers from Autogeek. I also purchased the "Detailer's Pride" brand microfiber cleaner concentrate. Haven't had the chance to try it yet. I'll update when I do. I'm curious to see if others have had good results with the microfiber specific cleaners. Sounds like it didn't make a difference for 2LTRS's Dad.
2500: 8/18/09 - Preferenced.
3000: 8/18/09 - Accepted by Production Control.
3100: 9/9/09 - Available to Sequence.
3300: 9/9/09 - Scheduled for Production.
3400: 9/19/09 - Broadcast.
3800: 9/29/09 - Produced.
4000: 9/29/09 - Available to Ship.
4150: 9/29/09 - Original Invoice.
4200: 10/6/09 - Shipped.
5000: 10/13/09 - Delivered to Dealer.
6000: 10/13/09 - Delivered to Customer.
bono83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

I grade my microfibers too. I have different stacks for different tasks (color coded):

1) Wash (microfiber mits - yellow)
2) Dry (waffle textured microfiber - Blue)
3) Polish (Purple)
4) Spray detailer (Green)
5) Wax (Gold)
6) Buff (White)
7) Multi pourpose (Yellow costco specials)

All of my retired microfibers get used to clean random stuff around the house, rc cars, sunglasses, ect.

The detergent doesn't really seem to make that big of a difference. I've tried dawn with the same result as Tide, so I stick the Tide. Autogeek is where we buy all of our microfibers. I do buy the 36 packs at costco. Let me know how the detailer's pride cleaner works.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #9
silverstreak20

Drives: 2SS/RS-03 SS truck-70 Elky-14 Vette
Spotting microfiber

Purchasing quality microfiber helps. Rarely, have I had a problem with removing soiled areas. Use Dawn directly on spotted/soiled areas and rub in thoroughly until you can see spots disappear. I rinse out most of the soil/suds in the sink. Also like to soak in a good grade of ammonia. You do not need to add alot of detergent in washer - too much suds doesn't allow for adequate washing action and thorough rinsing. Use HE detergents to keep suds down. There are alot of different opinions on water temp to wash in. Should be very warm and please, no bleach as it destroys the fibers. To condition water I periodically add vinegar in the first rinse to help remove all of the hard water residue that can build up in fibers. My microfiber is purchased through GRIOTS. To save on re-purchasing - use reuseable toweling for greasy/heavily soiled areas. I'm a female and attend alot of car shows with our El Camino. Win awards all the time. I am very good at keeping a vehicle clean. It does take more effort than usual to keep items in good shape. For many buying new microfiber may be the answer.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstreak20 View Post
Purchasing quality microfiber helps. Rarely, have I had a problem with removing soiled areas. Use Dawn directly on spotted/soiled areas and rub in thoroughly until you can see spots disappear. I rinse out most of the soil/suds in the sink. Also like to soak in a good grade of ammonia. You do not need to add alot of detergent in washer - too much suds doesn't allow for adequate washing action and thorough rinsing. Use HE detergents to keep suds down. There are alot of different opinions on water temp to wash in. Should be very warm and please, no bleach as it destroys the fibers. To condition water I periodically add vinegar in the first rinse to help remove all of the hard water residue that can build up in fibers. My microfiber is purchased through GRIOTS. To save on re-purchasing - use reuseable toweling for greasy/heavily soiled areas. I'm a female and attend alot of car shows with our El Camino. Win awards all the time. I am very good at keeping a vehicle clean. It does take more effort than usual to keep items in good shape. For many buying new microfiber may be the answer.
I'm going to have to try hand washing with dawn on the heavy spots. Thanks for the info. Lord knows I spent enough of towels I want to take care of them.

Last edited by 2LTRS; 01-03-2010 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Mispelled
2LTRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #11
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Here's a good article.......http://www.autogeek.net/mi101.html
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
I personally DO NOT WASH my Microfiber.

I run mine through steps, and I have a place for each step in the garage. I only use them for each step a coupe of times. It is my own recycle system.

Step 1: Painted Area and/or Chrome - Either drying, Detailing, wax or polish. (Once I use with a cleaner or other product, It only moves past here if it works for the next application)
Step 2: Next use is for Door Jams, Under Hood, Interior Surface, Rims
Step 3: Next use is for Engine Plastic Wipe Down, Inside Wheel Wells, Under Body, Tire Cleaning
Step 4: Wipe out Exhaust tips when I come in from a ride, pick up grease, Tire Protectant
Step 5: Garbage

Depending on how hard your water is, I think washing them only gets out but so many contaminants and can lead to micro fine scratches in the painted areas...........so I say, Limited USE ON PAINT ONLY. The only exception I have to this is the waffle textured micro fibre drying cloth to dry the car. For that I have one for painted area's, one for the rims, and one for area's that are harder to scratch (Rear Valance, Under Hood and plastic pieces, etc.)

Keep in mind my car is garaged and not driven in bad weather. This could be expensive for those who store the car outside and wash it all the time.

SIDE NOTE: I LOVE THEM PLUSH MICRO FIBRE CLOTHS FROM ADAM'S, now those are cloths!
Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
UCI CamaroFan
Zot!

Drives: Toyota 4Runner
I wash mine with warm water, and hang dry.

I use the microfiber detergent from autogeek, but I got it on sale (buy1 get 1 free).
Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 AM   #14
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I have had no luck on my microfiber towels or waffle weave towels (for drying car) keeping the same soft feel (when you first buy them) even after the first wash and letting them air dry. They all come out feeling stiff and rough. I have used Dawn and regular washing detergent.
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote