Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
aaranzabal

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS
All VIS hood opinions

Hey everyone,

I was planning on buying the VIS AMS carbon fiber hood this summer but then I started to read that the quality wasn't all that good. Some say that it turns yellow after a while. Is that true? Also, if I decide to paint it will that protect it from fading? Any other things I should know about getting a carbon fiber hood?

Also, many sites selling the hood say "Hood pins are required on all hoods for safety precautions.". Is it really necessary? I saw another member on this site with the same hood and he didn't have any.
aaranzabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:04 AM   #2
Rickerbucks
HP addict

Drives: 2 SS RS,
I DON'T have safety pins but at 130 MPH recently I noticed that the sides where rising about an inch above the fender. Scared the poop out of me. Considering pins now.

That being said, i have a Seibon hood with a window in it and i may have reduced the structural integrity of the hood by installing the window and cutting up the hood sub frame.

Follow my 2013 One Lap Of America Blog here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/ShaunAnd...page_new_likes

2014 Jeep SRT 8 - stock
2010 Challenger SRT 8 - stock
2007 Charger SRT8 Super Bee - not stock at all.
Rickerbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
JBuzzy11

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickerbucks View Post
I DON'T have safety pins but at 130 MPH recently I noticed that the sides where rising about an inch
130mph!!!!!!!

I hope that was in Canadian mph!!!

Injen CAI, JBA headers, MRT V1.0 exhaust, Trifecta tune.
JBuzzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #4
aaranzabal

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickerbucks View Post
I DON'T have safety pins but at 130 MPH recently I noticed that the sides where rising about an inch above the fender. Scared the poop out of me. Considering pins now.

That being said, i have a Seibon hood with a window in it and i may have reduced the structural integrity of the hood by installing the window and cutting up the hood sub frame.
Well I never go that fast but it is still something to consider. How about the carbon fiber... is it holding up nicely? How long have you had it? Also did you paint it? Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I don't regret buying it.
aaranzabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Zakath
Nefarious

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
I'm also interested in this hood and any information on it.
Borla S-Type cat-back exhaust; 360 degree 2% tint; Headlight Armor in dark smoke on tails, reverse lights, and side markers; AAC V2 22" LED Scanner in white; Radar Detector; Black side gill decals; T-Rex Phantom Black Billet Grille; EVILBEE personal license plate.
Zakath is offline   Reply With Quote