Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-30-2008, 02:42 AM   #1
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR
SSiCk MeMbEr!!!

Drives: HeAviLy MoDDeD 2010 SS CaMaRo!
Calling all MoDz and MeMbers I need your help!!!

Ok I want EVERYONES opinon on this don't be afraid to talk to me! Now first off I'm not sure what option I should get for my 5th gen because I wanna do some major modifications to it. I want my car to be a show winner not just another 5th gen. I also wanna be featured in all types of magazines. I wanna go a step further than just owning the new camaro. And I want EVERYones help here on the Camaro5 forums please!!! Now should I...

A. SS1: (I can pay the car off faster!)
B. SS2: (Get the Leather seats w/ ambient lighting)

Now I'm asking because I may go with sparco racing seats w/ 5 point harness's in the front and maybe a custom interior color(just maybe). So I don't think it would be smart to pay for the leather. But on the other hand I'm in love with the ambient lighting that is available only on the SS2 I believe. And the only other upgrade I want is HID headlamps.
Stripes IDK because I plan on getting the car custom painted anyway so I figured theres no use for it ya know

Next up I wanna buy a more powerful engine and sell my LS3. I either wanna get a LS7 or LS9 when they bring it out. Now I'm not a power junkie. But I'm like others who want a faster CaMaRo. Most people want a 550hp supercharged Z car(which I would love to have BTW). Personally(don't bash me please) I just don't see GM doing this because the SS can already stand up to the GT-500, and will work Challengers at the drag strip all day imo. Anyway my Question before deciding on my engine I need you guys help. Would it be best to buy an LS9, LS7 or just get the LS3 modified??? I'm talking bored block, CNDed Heads, Forged pistons, crankshaft, cam, connecting rods and lifters. I would really love the LS7 or 9 with the Corvette engine covers replaced by the CaMaRo name that would be so nasty!!! Help me out Camaro5!!!

A. Modded LS3 w/ ProCharger
B. LS7 (I will be ProCharging it)
C. LS9 (once released by GMPP) PS I will be able to affor it

Now as for Transmission and Suspension I'm at a LoSS. Because I know the CaMaRo will run on what is called the ZETA i believe. This I know nothing about. But do you guys think Hotchkis will be doing anything. I was on pedders website and Do you guys think anything they have will support the horsepower/tourque I'm gonna be workin with??? And as for the tranny I know the SS comes with a TrEmEc TR6060 which I hear is a very good trans. But will I need to upgrade???

Thats all I have for now you guys. These are my Ideas/dreams which I wish to make a reality. And I want everyones opinion PLEASE and THANK YOU in advance EVERYONE!!!
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:50 AM   #2
MCMLXIX
1967 Chevelle Pro-Touring

Drives: 1967 Chevelle
SS2 because the ambient lighting will go a long way for show car interior and easier to add all the extras and comforts...

If you want show car seats, swap them out for Cobra Misano Carbon Fiber Seats...

The suspension: Looks like Pedders is steps ahead of anyone as they seem to have access to the Zeta platform down under in OZ...

The engine: I would go for the LS9 - You might be able to find wrecked Vette if GM hasn't released a crate version.... less plumbing then the pro-charger and more of the cool factor...
MCMLXIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
odie23

Drives: Jeep
First know that certain magazines cater to certain segments of the markets.

For instance, Car Craft focuses more on the Go than Show crowd. Generally domestic brands, polished alloys for superchargers, turbo’s, wheels, exhaust (no mega-chrome), outstanding color/or a two tone combo (think Chip Foose), classic graphics, clean understated interiors, nice stereos, but no totally wild paint schemes.

Where as Rides magazine focuses more on the trendy Show than Go crowd. High dollar imports, some old school machines, candy/metal flake/pearls paint jobs combos, lambo/suicide door, Dub wheels, exotic leather interiors, over the top stereos (insert pic of famous rapper standing next to it), etc.

Or Super Chevy, it can be a new modified Chevy, or a retro racer, or a classic Chevy with a modernized engine/suspension. But again nothing too out there.

My point is build what YOU like because spending thousands of dollars in the hopes that you’ll car will be featured in magazines might not happen unless you’re connected, or an advertisers kid, or someone famous kid. I’m not saying they don’t sometimes feature someone unknown, or something different, but they generally seem to stick to a specific formula that sells their magazine. So you might as well build something you love regardless if it ends up in a magazine or not. Good luck
odie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #4
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
Well if you are just looking to get the LS3 built out.... the GMPP site right now has a LS3 376/502 block that has Cam's and a manifold change out, it puts out 502HP out of the LS3 block.
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
If you want attention, then you need to do something unexpected. Build the LS3. Slapping the biggest stock motor in the car is the most predictable thing you can do. If you really want the LS7, make it better.

A custom interior could be fun. Make sure it is all carbon fiber. You'll reduce weight and create a unique look.

Get the base SS. You don't want to pay for ambient lighting and take out the whole dash. Get your own custom lighting.

Get a unique paint, then add custom stripes or designs. They should be painted, as well.

You want to look sharp and outperform the competition to get noticed. It will cost a ridiculous amount of money to reach these goals. Plan your work long before you begin. Finally, have fun modding!
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
Oracle

Drives: Ford Focus
It really depends on how BIG you want to go. as for interrior wise start with the best and make it better. thats my oppinion. car show judges look for little things that are added even down to vanity mirrors, so be sure to start with all the little things unless you intend to change every little detail as they are pointed out to you. as for the engine if you just want to drop something in then the LS7 is the way to go... maybe because im a N/A fan but it just seems more exotic than a supercharger. now if you want the biggest baddest engine you can get your hands on then start from the ground up. an LSX block (the cast iron monster from GMPP, designed to hold HUGE boost up to 2500hp), forge everything, BIG cam, worked heads, and a turbo system the size of jet engines. this will get you noticed by all the big magazines, especially when your car is looking at around 2k hp. then do a pedders suspension. they already have a BIG leg up on the competition because they already have a camaro of their own. it was announced that pedders is working with GM to make the camaro race car. details are sketchy but pedders does have their hands groping all over the car. so for a show car you can say "Bugatti crushing power and ferrari enzo handling". gets people to look and notice ya, even if that handling can only compare on a track and you can really only corral those ponies by killing 2/3 of them. and the paint? keep it simple while buying, then make it nice for the finish. foose doesnt make his paintjobs flashy for a reason. follow that formula and it gets you noticed on many levels in the car world. though a truely knockout car takes a LOT of money and time, so dont do this to your car and leave it 75% done, cuz then your like a ricer who got the bodykit and didnt bother to paint it. good luck to you and if you follow through id love to see pictures.
Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
SSNIGHTMARE

Drives: 2002 SS Camaro
572 BBC with custom fuel injection and a SC. It wouldn't handle for shit, but it would be sweet.
02 SS, STOCK, THE SLO HO
08 CTS, POS
EFI Live
"Nitrous is like a hot girl with STD's, you know you wanna hit it but you're afraid of the consequences!"

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.."

--Samuel Adams
SSNIGHTMARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
One suggestion, If you want the ambient lighting but not pay for the upgrade for leather and other options you would have to get here is a possibility.
First make friends with your parts guy. have him look up all the part numbers for the ambient lighting. Order it from www.gmpartsdirect, I did this with my HHR because i wanted the steering wheel stereo controls but I did not want all the extras you had to order to get it. I installed them myself and it works great. I also got the part number for the short antenna that comes on the Opel GT (the european version of the Sky) and ordered it and replaced the LONG radio antenna with a factory short one instead of going aftermarket.

It may be possible to get the parts and have it. the wiring harness may already be there and all you have to do is plug it in.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
I hope you know its going to take a LOT of $$$ and time to create something that will be featured in magazines - you will be competing against performance companies that slap all their products onto a single car and use it as advertisement.

i don't want to be a buzz kill, i just don't want you to think you can make it go faster and change a few things in the interior to make it a featured car.

personally - i'm going to say a bigger & modded engine (since i think most will be modding the stock engine anyways) performance suspension

custom paint, or something that makes the exterior stand out
custom interior & upgraded sound system. most likely aftermarket trim, race seats or custom two-tone upholstry

most show cars I've seen have more money invested in them than the car was worth stock.

Best of luck bro
Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
camaro&T/A

Drives: '82 Z28 400SB
maybe you could do a Yenko theme. have the stripes painted, drop in an LS7, do custom body work ect, ect.
camaro&T/A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR
SSiCk MeMbEr!!!

Drives: HeAviLy MoDDeD 2010 SS CaMaRo!
Thank you all! I will follow through with this...I already have 45% of my down payment! I will pay my car off within 8-9 months. After that the modding begins! I will follow up with pics in the future! Thanks again for all you guys's help! And keep the ideas/suggestions coming! Hey anybody wanna buy my LS3 from me when I start my project??? PM me and we can discuss it.
JiXeR'z DoDgE/FoRd KiLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote