Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Brembo brake caliper torque specs

Anyone know where I can find brake torque specs for the parts needed to replace pads? I can try the dealer parts department or service, but wonder if anyone had them. I bought Hawk ceramics and wanted to swap out OE pads. Local chevy dealers charge ~$140/hr labor.

I called a local brake shop and they checked their online system that estimates labor. 2010 Camaro is not listed so they didn't have any info on the torque specs.

Thanks in advance.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Just the pads? They come out Very easily with no torque tools needed needed.

Brake Pads:
There are two retaining pins for the pads with a copper colored spring on each caliper. Take an AWL and hammer and push the pin out from the front, it comes out from the rear of the caliper. Do one pin at a time the spring will snap back. Once you pull the pins out you can wiggle the pads out with your hands or a needle nose pliers. its very simple
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
sting808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Just the pads? They come out Very easily with no torque tools needed needed.

Brake Pads:
There are two retaining pins for the pads with a copper colored spring on each caliper. Take an AWL and hammer and push the pin out from the front, it comes out from the rear of the caliper. Do one pin at a time the spring will snap back. Once you pull the pins out you can wiggle the pads out with your hands or a needle nose pliers. its very simple
Thank you.

For some reason, I got it in my head that I'll need to pull off the calipers. Never worked on dual piston calipers. I wish I could read a service manual before pulling off parts and reverse engineering. Think I'll change all the gear oil while it's up on stands.

Hopefully, the Hawk ceramics provide near OE equivalent stopping perfomance with no dust.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Here's a pic of the two pins that you punch out, then the pads slip out the back.
Name:  Copy of photo4.jpg
Views: 3093
Size:  126.9 KB
Old 02-03-2010, 03:09 AM   #5
sting808

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
Here's a pic of the two pins that you punch out, then the pads slip out the back.
Attachment 90905

I feel stupid now... But great pic !

Makes me wonder... no clips, threads, or cutter pins? Only friction/compression on the pins? Oh well...

This is simpler than I thought. 1-1.5 hours, tops.

BTW, nice painted caliper and are those 2-piece rotors?

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
No need to feel stupid! I couldn't figure it out the 1st time I tried! I thought it was like my motorcycle and those pins unscrewed...I also asked for the same help and got the e-mail from 55Designs and reposted it

And yes mtcwby, cool setup! What brand of rotors are those?
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sting808 View Post

I feel stupid now... But great pic !

Makes me wonder... no clips, threads, or cutter pins? Only friction/compression on the pins? Oh well...

This is simpler than I thought. 1-1.5 hours, tops.

BTW, nice painted caliper and are those 2-piece rotors?

Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
No need to feel stupid! I couldn't figure it out the 1st time I tried! I thought it was like my motorcycle and those pins unscrewed...I also asked for the same help and got the e-mail from 55Designs and reposted it

And yes mtcwby, cool setup! What brand of rotors are those?
They are RacingBrake.com two piece Open Slotted rotors.
Here's the link:
http://www.racingbrake.com/CAMARO_SS...138-381-01.htm