Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-02-2010, 06:18 AM   #15
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
I was looking to get the Magnaflow comp. Series cat back when i had a brainstorm which i will share. The Comp. Series cat back runs $1200 from Magnaflow. This setup replaces the resonator with a X-Pipe muffler and eliminates the mufflers. Well, the stock system is already mandrel bent stainless steel tubing. So... I purchased an X-Pipe muffler to replace the resonator and the Comp. Series axle back from Magnaflow. Essentially creating a Comp. Series cat back for $450... $600 installed. That's a savings of over $600. That will buy a CAI or a tune or both! :-)

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
firengnred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Quote:
Originally Posted by firengnred View Post
I was looking to get the Magnaflow comp. Series cat back when i had a brainstorm which i will share. The Comp. Series cat back runs $1200 from Magnaflow. This setup replaces the resonator with a X-Pipe muffler and eliminates the mufflers. Well, the stock system is already mandrel bent stainless steel tubing. So... I purchased an X-Pipe muffler to replace the resonator and the Comp. Series axle back from Magnaflow. Essentially creating a Comp. Series cat back for $450... $600 installed. That's a savings of over $600. That will buy a CAI or a tune or both! :-)
Yes, indeed, that would buy you the CAI and more.

I thought the Magnaflow Comp Series (muffler delete) includes a large dual-in-out resonator where the LS3 H-pipe would be. If you simply installed an X-pipe in place, then you basically have a completely mufflerless exhaust system. Any drone or popping or excessive loudness?
Attached Images

Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #17
SamSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Yes, indeed, that would buy you the CAI and more.

I thought the Magnaflow Comp Series (muffler delete) includes a large dual-in-out resonator where the LS3 H-pipe would be. If you simply installed an X-pipe in place, then you basically have a completely mufflerless exhaust system. Any drone or popping or excessive loudness?
I have the resonator removed on my SS (L99), but not the mufflers. So are you saying if I remove the mufflers and put an x-pipe there, I'll have a custom cat back similar to that of Magnaflows?

And out of curiosity, what does the true x-pipe do?

Last edited by SamSS; 01-02-2010 at 10:59 PM.
SamSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #18
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Ahh, you still have the stock mufflers (I did not know that). I think if you deleted your mufflers at this point, you may get lots of popping (from what I've read on this forum). This may be why the Magnaflow system includes a dual-in-out resonator.

All things being equal, there are two main factors in considering an exhaust system, volume and velocity of the exhaust gases. Larger pipes will give you volume which is needed for high horse power engines because they create more exhaust gases. A higher exhaust gas velocity inside the pipes help the gases escape faster, thus reducing back pressure and helping the motor "breathe". For a given range of motor HPs and sizes, the exhaust system needs to be carefully considered.

A "True X-pipe" is designed to add velocity to the exhaust gases leaving your engine. A higher velocity will help stock exhausts cause it will get rid of the gases quicker and allow the motor to breathe better. The 'X' shape helps scavenge the exhaust between right and left banks as each cylinder pushes out it spent gases. A regular 'H' pipe helps equalize the pressure between the left and right sides which is suppose to aid in exhaust flow, but nowhere as well as the 'X' pipe can. That's why aftermarket exhaust companies offer the X pipe.
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 PM   #19
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Drives: 1969 Camaro 2010 Camaro 1SS
the x pipe is supposed to increase mid range torque ,
im intrigued by the post about the X pipe muffler did you use a magnaflow x pipe muffler ? I want to go with the Axle back SLP 2 but I also want to benefit of an x pipe but the pricces of an X pipe made or our cars is insane, so this might work for me.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:00 PM   #20
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Im actually wondering if a universal x pipe can be made to work with not too much fabrication, also the stock L99 pipes are 2.5 right ?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #21
SamSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969to2010 View Post
Im actually wondering if a universal x pipe can be made to work with not too much fabrication, also the stock L99 pipes are 2.5 right ?
Yes. Both LS3 and L99 pipes are 2.5.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #22
1969to2010
The Man in Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSS View Post
Yes. Both LS3 and L99 pipes are 2.5.
thats what I thought, So I think I have finally made a decision
magnaflow x pipe after cutting the resonators out then SLP loud mouth Axle back done deal!
Sam your thread def helped me out,,
Old 01-03-2010, 12:11 AM   #23
Danny Thomas

Drives: 67 RS, 81 Turbo TA, 2010 ABM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Danny Thomas
Have the Magnaflow x pipe with resinator and muffler delete...it is an awesome setup for $300 parts and labor. There is still some AFM drone but nothing that can't be lived with. No matter what you use to get a louder system...there will be some type of drone. This a nice way to go when not doing a full blow header / exhaust system
Danny Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #24
firengnred

The reason I went with the X-Pipe muffler rather than a true X-Pipe is to tone down the volume slightly and deepen the exhaust note. Remember i'm putting on the Comp. Series axle back which has no mufflers. Yes this is basically building a custom cat back system for half the cost.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
Old 01-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #25
firengnred

If you get a tune you can disable the AFM which will eliminate the drone.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:04 AM   #26
SamSS

Quote:
The reason I went with the X-Pipe muffler rather than a true X-Pipe is to tone down the volume slightly and deepen the exhaust note. Remember i'm putting on the Comp. Series axle back which has no mufflers. Yes this is basically building a custom cat back system for half the cost.
X-pipe muffler? Do you have the part #?

And why would you buy the Magnaflow comp series axle back? It's just straight pipes. You want the tips?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:41 AM   #27
firengnred

The Magnaflow X-Pipe muffler part number is 14379. I purchased it through Magnaflow plus performance parts on-line with a 25% discount. I like the sound of the Magnaflow axle back and certainly like the 5 Inch tips

Old 01-03-2010, 03:57 AM   #28
SamSS

Quote:
The Magnaflow X-Pipe muffler part number is 14379. I purchased it through Magnaflow plus performance parts on-line with a 25% discount. I like the sound of the Magnaflow axle back and certainly like the 5 Inch tips
But the axle back part is just straight pipes, except the 5" tips.

So an exhaust system with the resonator and muffler delete (replaced with just straight pipes) and the Magnaflow x-pipe muffler would sound the same as what you described?