Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
My Z Delivered -- Project Grand Sport

My Sonic 1.4T LTZ

This build starts with Becky, Gerry and Joe at Rodgers Chevrolet. The LTZ 1.4T with automatic transmission was not available for build and those few dealers with an order slot were holding on to them tightly, except for Becky. One call and our order was in process. You are probably asking why an automatic. This car will be our developmental platform and them become my daughter's car.

The next question has got to be why there is a Sonic build thread on C5. I have been joking around in numerous threads with comments about my own Z. There are a number of 5th Gen owners looking to add a Sonic to their garage. This thread is for them and two in particular -- Shno and garcmol.

We took delivery of our Sonic just over a week ago. The guys at Boerne Stage Kustoms did a great job with the graphics. We kept it clean with Pedders / Victory Red accents. We'll add a bit more color with our Forgeline wheels (Pedders / Victory RED inner and outer barrels of course). Bridgestone RE-11 will be perfect. Don't tell anyone at GM, but we need a bit more HP to wear those Corvette Grand Sport hash marks so look for a bit more boost. Brakes... could be ;-) We'll start with Pedders Lowering Coils and move to Pedders Xa Coilovers quickly. Maybe bars. Maybe bushes. We'll keep you posted as Project Grand Sport progresses.

This is what our Sonic 1.4T LTZ looked like a few days ago when we picked her up at Freedom Chevrolet in San Antonio.

NEEDS LOWERING

The first stop was Boerne Stage Kustoms in Boerne, Texas. We want to keep this build real. Most Sonic buyers will not do wide body kits or elaborate paint work. We think our PEDDERS / VICTORY RED accents on the BowTies, Mirror Caps and Left Front Fender set the tone for Project Grand Sport. This is going to be a Sonic with an attitude.

Our Pedders Bull has an attitude for Project Grand Sport. He is wearing his Carbon Fiber Black Helmet.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...19058911_o.jpg

My driving impressions of the Sonic with optional 205/50/17 is positive. It is well balanced with good acceleration. For the typical Sonic owner, the car drives exceptionally well. We are not typical owners High speed aggressive lane changes come with too much lean and roll. You can feel the front wheel drive protesting the maneuvers. We'll begin to address that with lowering coils first and then coilovers.

At Pedders, we measure ride height from the bottom of the wheel rim lip, up through the wheel center to the painted edge of the fender. The car should be on a level surface with nothing in it except a 1/4 tank of fuel. Here are the initial ride height measurements with 17 inch wheels in mm.

Front Left 606mm
Front Right 613mm
Rear Left 624mm
Rear Right 620mm

We will verify the ride heights on the rails of the alignment machine when we install Pedders lowering coils and again with the coilovers.

As we progress with Project Grand Sport we'll keep you posted.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
It's....cute?

Does it come in a men's version?
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
It's....cute?

Does it come in a men's version?

I am thinking about bringing it to C5FEST III, but am not sure it is a good sales strategy to beat all the 5th Gens on the AC course
Old 03-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Automatic.

Your daughter rocks.

lol

Can't wait to see it with the Forgelines on it.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Automatic.

Your daughter rocks.

lol

Can't wait to see it with the Forgelines on it.
She hasn't seen the paint yet. Well maybe she has since she is at home and I am in the office.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Looking good JP.... Now about those skid pad numbers.....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
Sweet. I would definitely "rock" one of these for DD. With a stick of course. Can't wait to see the finished product.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Very cool! Mock these cars if you want folks. With CAFE around, you better hope that an a$$load of these sell!!!

If it's anything like the Cruze it's going to be a blast to drive!

I'll be following and watching how you turn up boost on this car. My Cruze shares the same engine and I've wondered about this.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Nice car for the daughter! .... Like Norm said.... hook us up for our Cruze's LOL
Old 03-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesnoopster View Post
Nice car for the daughter! .... Like Norm said.... hook us up for our Cruze's LOL
Hey there, You can already get coilovers for the Cruze!!! I'm working Maria about them. Well, have been for a while now.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
I liked how the SEMA one looked, can't wait to see the finished product!!
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by its a syn View Post
I liked how the SEMA one looked, can't wait to see the finished product!!

As did I. GM decide against making the wing shown on the Z. I am close to begging for one when they are done with the show Zs.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #13
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
As did I. GM decide against making the wing shown on the Z. I am close to begging for one when they are done with the show Zs.
Front splitter gives it a great look also
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #14
garcmol

for futrocpd