Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
HELP - sunroof rattle

I own a 2011 2LT/RS with a sunroof. Unfortunately I have a very annoying rattle that's coming from the lower end of the sunroof on the passenger side. I have taken it in once and it stopped for a day and then came back more annoying than ever. Has anyone had this issue before? I believe this might escalate into a sunroof replacement. If it does it better be the same parts from the factory or I'll be a little upset. Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do? I hope to have some knowledge before I take it in this week to have them fix it and powder coat my rims black.
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i think member The IOM Ninja, is have this problem also. he is so mad with it that he wants to get another camaro.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Interesting. I'll have to contact IOM ninja. I don't know much about Lemon Law, but would this qualify as a Lemon if the issue is never fixed or if they want to repair it with parts other than factory?
Old 10-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
weenie25banini

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
I have the same problem with mine.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Raptor626
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Summit White
Yea I believe there is a TSB on this. Check the issues section.
Raptor626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

I forgot I had this thread on here lol. GM is taking very good care of me. I should have a final decision come Wednesday (hopefully). They have replaced it once, replaced one main part before that, and altered it several times before that. Nothing ever worked.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:46 AM   #7
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

UPDATE: it's been almost 7 months and my sunroof has still not been fixed. They have made small alterations, put silicone and other stuff to possibly fix it, replaced a major component, and replaced the entire sunroof.. Was it fixed? NO! Apparently the Chevy rep for my region who is a step above the head of service at my dealer is pathetic when it comes to communication with the dealer and or the customer. IMO I should have had a new Camaro by now because I've taken it in far over 10 times and have had the same issue attempted to be fixed or altered 6-7 times. GM better make it right soon or I'm going to the press. This is ridiculous to say the least.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:29 AM   #8
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
GM Sunroofs are some serious BS, worst quality of any sunroof I've ever experienced. Probably because it's technically a moonroof and doesn't have the strength of a sunroof at the advantage of it going up like a mohawk.

I'm learning to live with it, though I am going to put some dynamat or sound deadener in the headliner in a few of the spots that seem to rattle really badly. I've given up on getting it fixed under warranty because every time I take it in for the problem they refuse to accept that it's a problem....
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
GM Sunroofs are some serious BS, worst quality of any sunroof I've ever experienced. Probably because it's technically a moonroof and doesn't have the strength of a sunroof at the advantage of it going up like a mohawk.

I'm learning to live with it, though I am going to put some dynamat or sound deadener in the headliner in a few of the spots that seem to rattle really badly. I've given up on getting it fixed under warranty because every time I take it in for the problem they refuse to accept that it's a problem....
They should at least pay for the sound deadening materials and installation for you. That is complete bs they are not owning up to their product. I am not going to allow them to sit back and not own up to what they put into their vehicles. They will pay
Old 11-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
FloppyJackson

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Is it rattling with it open/closed or both? Mine was making noise closed and when I inspected it from the outside I noticed two things. One, the glass was not flush with the roof line, lower on one side and higher on the other. Two, the rubber seal around it was fading pretty bad to the point it looked gray. I took it in and the entire assembly was replaced. Now no rattle closed, but going over bumps it does rattle a little when open.
FloppyJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #11
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyJackson View Post
Is it rattling with it open/closed or both? Mine was making noise closed and when I inspected it from the outside I noticed two things. One, the glass was not flush with the roof line, lower on one side and higher on the other. Two, the rubber seal around it was fading pretty bad to the point it looked gray. I took it in and the entire assembly was replaced. Now no rattle closed, but going over bumps it does rattle a little when open.
Rattles both open closed. It leaks too! I always wanted a swimming pool, but not in my Camaro!
Old 12-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #12
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Well... GM is in the process of possibly buying back my Camaro. Short story.. GM told me I am not allowed to have another sunroof or buy a convertible. Apparently GM either does not trust me to operate them or they do not have faith in their products and effectively acknowledge they have a issue with both mechanical items. Sounds like I am going to get screwed either way. They are basically treating it like it is a trade in. Having their sales team at the dealer to access the Camaro and mark off the small curb marks and miles off the car and give me some kind of "credit" to apply to a 2012... As I see it it looks like I am just trading it in and this is not what you call "warranty" work. I am very disappointed on how GM is treating their customers when it comes to consistent failures to fix it and they still try to do it when they know it cannot be fixed.

When I bought my Camaro with my own money (being 19 by the way) last October I thought I was buying a fantastic product. It has been minus this sunroof, but this has made it extremely disappointing. If they do not make it right.. Chevy will not run too deep with me. That's for sure.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
Carriccp

Drives: Sold
I have the same problem with mine. Rattles on the rear right corner, and it doesn't sit completely flush on that side compared to the driver's side. :(
Carriccp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Have you had your sunroof replaced or had similar fixes as I have had?

I believe there is a common issue with the sunroofs in our Camaros similar to what our convertible friends are having with their tops. Ongoing issues that are not being fixed properly due to either poor material and or poor mechanics.

A fellow forum member told me it is probably because these "sunroofs' were not designed to truly be sunroofs. They are more designed to be just moonroofs that should not be open regularly.